TV 'The King: Eternal Monarch' wasn't half as bad as people made it out to be (1 Viewer)

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
I spent some time over the past week during my study breaks watching it and I actually enjoyed it quite a lot. I mean, the chemistry really was lacking and it really did seem like they were just jumping from one thing to another, but it was cute. There was drama and although I didn't think it was heavy, it did still add substance to the show. And unlike most of Kim Eun Sook's most other shows, the ending wasn't confusing/annoying either. It was bittersweet but definitely not bad.

Overall,

Storyline: 7/10
It didn't drag fortunately. It was fast paced and fun. I laughed quite a lot. And they managed to tie all the loose strings well. The ending was happy but also a bit sad but overall happy so that was good. With a storyline like this though, it definitely seemed like the most realistic ended. I did like that almost all characters had endings that they deserved. It was fun.

Chemistry: 4/10 for main lead but 9/10 for literally everyone else.
Like Lee Min Ho's chemistry with everyone else in the show was really good. The side characters also had good chemistry with each other. I think the only issue was that Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Run lacked chemistry and I'm not sure if that's simply because the storyline didn't really give us any build up to their relationship or Best chemistry was hands down Woo Do Hwan's chemistry with himself though. Eun-Sup and Yeong's relationship was just the cutest. I think they were the main highlight of the show for me.

Cinematography: 10/10
I loved all the scenes of the different worlds and the portal place. I have nothing to say. It was all really pretty.


Visuals: 10/10
My God, I was never too fond of LMH's visuals but he looked amazing in this show. Also, all the other characters were eye candy too even the evil uncle lol.


I think the only thing I agree with K-nets is that the dialogue was boring and the PPL was too excessive. There was like 10 commercials per episode and it just felt like too much. It literally did seem like they made the show just to make money off of commercials lol.
And as for the dialogue, there were no iconic lines like most of KES's other shows. Like usually there's a scene that just excites you or becomes the talk of the whole country in all of her shows but this was pretty basic.

Oh and there was also an issue of characters randomly figuring things out out of nowhere. Like one minute they're eating and the next they have solved all the problems in the show out of nowhere. Like they randomly realise important details and you have no idea at all how they managed to figure all that out but they make sure to remind you that they're smart at least once every episode and it's natural for them to figure things out randomly. Like, why didn't they just realise all this in the first episode then? Nothing in the plot happens for them to figure everything out but it just randomly dawns on them... AND they always happen to realise important details out at the exact same time lol.


So overall rating: 7/10
If you want a light hearted and fun show, definitely go for it. It's cute and pretty satisfying.
If you want a show with lots of substance, mystery and romance though, maybe don't go for it. It's good to waste time with but I wouldn't really choose it over any other good show.

​
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darkseid

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
I watched like 2 episodes and gave up on it sadly lmao, didn’t seem like it would be my type of show.

Maybe I’ll give it another try lol, I’m actually only now watching Goblin and really liking it plus Kim Go Eun is really good in this one :sj_weary:
 
  • Love
Reactions: Suzy

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
I watched like 2 episodes and gave up on it sadly lmao, didn’t seem like it would be my type of show.

Maybe I’ll give it another try lol, I’m actually only now watching Goblin and really liking it plus Kim Go Eun is really good in this one :sj_weary:
Goblin was REALLY good though. It had ALL the elements that just sucks you in. I mean, even my family who don't like international shows enjoyed that. In my opinion The King isn't close to being as good but it was still enjoyable. I can't say it gets better after 2 episodes since the pacing doesn't change all that much but in my opinion it's a good and light hearted show to watch when you want to waste time.

Also, isn't Gong Yoo just the most gorgeous being ever. :pandalove:
 
  • Love
Reactions: Darkseid

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
Goblin was REALLY good though. It had ALL the elements that just sucks you in. I mean, even my family who don't like international shows enjoyed that. In my opinion The King isn't close to being as good but it was still enjoyable. I can't say it gets better after 2 episodes since the pacing doesn't change all that much but in my opinion it's a good and light hearted show to watch when you want to waste time.

Also, isn't Gong Yoo just the most gorgeous being ever. :pandalove:
Yeah I'm notorious for starting a lot of Kdramas but finishing only like 5% of them lol.
Whenever I can see the beginnings of the usual Kdrama tropes beginning to emerge or get the feeling that it's gonna drag unnecessarily, I check out lol.

Reply 1988 and Descendants of the Sun were my my fav dramas but even compared to them, Goblin seems to be on a class of its own :sj_weary: Even the intro is so brilliant omg :sj_weary:

Gong Yoo and Lee Dongwook both lol. Even BTOB Sungjae is cute here :haylul:
 
  • Love
Reactions: Suzy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread