The NATO Phonetic Alphabet is a lie (1 Viewer)

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,384
Reactions Received
151,392
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Despite its name, the NATO Phonetic Alphabet was not made by NATO and is linguistically not a Phonetic Alphabet. It is at least some form of alphabet though, it’s a spelling alphabet :lisalaugh: And it was originally created by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), though NATO did modify it at one point for a very very short time. And if you’re not familiar with it, I’ll post it below. It’s used for spelling out words more clearly over radio and such.
1760231345737.jpeg
 
  • Wow
Reactions: Moguri

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,384
Reactions Received
151,392
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck

dark_tranquility

YOᑌ ᗪIᗪᑎ'T ᗷᗴTᖇᗩY ᗰᗴ, YOᑌ ᗷᗴTᖇᗩYᗴᗪ YOᑌᖇSᗴᒪᖴ
.
.
Joined
10 September 2019
Messages
62,040
Reactions Received
52,508
Location
Europe and Asia
Website
www.ancestry.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
200,975
Fandom
𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Eurasian
interesting development
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Reactions: Moguri and Ahsoka

Nina

🧜🏼‍♀️ 𝓜𝓼. 𝓕𝓲𝓼𝓱 🦄
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
43,297
Reactions Received
75,388
Location
In the OCEAN
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
141,854
Pronouns
Fish/Mermaid
Ship
I wish this was commonly taught instead of trying to think of words when we gotta spell something out over the phone
:haylul: Spelling out Nina, I've literally said N as in Nancy, I as in Ingrid, N as in Nancy, A as in Apple :welp:
 
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Moguri and Ahsoka
Joined
29 December 2022
Messages
1,037
Reactions Received
1,466
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
7,083
I wish this was commonly taught instead of trying to think of words when we gotta spell something out over the phone
I worked for a travel agency for a time, so I got used to using these words. I still use them! A month ago, I had to call up my bank because my card got flagged for suspicious activity, and when spelling things out, I used this, and the operator was like, "oh my god thank you so much for being so clear" lmao.

I don't think I've heard it called the "nato phonetic alphabet though". I think when I learned it, it was called the "radio alphabet" or something like that?
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,384
Reactions Received
151,392
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I worked for a travel agency for a time, so I got used to using these words. I still use them! A month ago, I had to call up my bank because my card got flagged for suspicious activity, and when spelling things out, I used this, and the operator was like, "oh my god thank you so much for being so clear" lmao.

I don't think I've heard it called the "nato phonetic alphabet though". I think when I learned it, it was called the "radio alphabet" or something like that?
It does go by different names. But NATO phonetic alphabet seems to be the most widespread
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread