Thoughts on "Choose your own parts" type of devices? [right to repair] (1 Viewer)

Joined
30 December 2022
Messages
1,285
Reactions Received
1,415
Location
The Ashralien Bunker
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
927
Fandom
Syndicate
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatevs works
I've been quite sold on the idea of being able to choose individual components and being able to "repair" the devices by swapping out individual parts (not down to the individual chip but yeh get my idea)

Companies like Framework and Fairphone have these phiosophies that the user must be able to access the inside of their phone for repair or other purposes, partly because they bought the dang thing.

However, a neat side effect is that often, upon considering purchase, these companies offer a great freedom in choosing internals while still offering default "finished products" for those who frankly couldn't care less. Considering that modern mobile devices are becoming less and less internally accessible, what are your thoughts of these companies that popped up in reaction to the current trend?

Links for reference:
Framework: https://frame.work/
Fairphoen: https://www.fairphone.com/ (note: the site often defaults to Netherlands, the change country and language is in the top right)
 
Joined
29 December 2022
Messages
1,037
Reactions Received
1,466
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
7,083
Really positive on them. We are far too wasteful with our technology. Especially nowadays when everything is sealed in and tied to a battery with a very limited lifespan.
The last computer I built was in 2011 and it's still my main device. Maybe that's not great for a tech company's bottom line but it's good for my wallet and even better for the environment.

I've considered Fairphone before but honestly they're too big!
 
  • Love
Reactions: Kataphract
Joined
30 December 2022
Messages
1,285
Reactions Received
1,415
Location
The Ashralien Bunker
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
927
Fandom
Syndicate
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatevs works
Really positive on them. We are far too wasteful with our technology. Especially nowadays when everything is sealed in and tied to a battery with a very limited lifespan.
Yesss! good quality Li-batteries only last 5-7 years, and that's if they're good! I have so many laptops at home that work just fine -- provided that they're on their chargers. Unplug them and they black out bc the battery holds nothing haha
The last computer I built was in 2011 and it's still my main device. Maybe that's not great for a tech company's bottom line but it's good for my wallet and even better for the environment.
That's honestly stunning ngl. What model is it? Maybe I can get my hands on one LOL. As for a tech company, I've really given it some thought and it seems like the only real ways that a company can positively ensure more sales is through natural death of shorter lived parts (like batteries), auxiliary services like data protection warranty or insurance, or - on a regular basis - genuinely leading the curve with R&D that ensures that the new generation is truly better than the last. The last one is scarcity. Given that these companies are by far the underdogs, and they are one of few that offer this kind of product, they can fairly charge a steeper price, without incurring accusations of being a ripoff.
I've considered Fairphone before but honestly they're too big!
I really want one but it doesn't seem that they actually sell in the us T^T I wonder if I can get my hands on a EU version, because of the better data protections that'd be legally required in the software. (not fairphone's fault, rather it's android's fault)
 
  • Like
Reactions: catonkatonk
Joined
29 December 2022
Messages
1,037
Reactions Received
1,466
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
7,083
Well, that computer is a desktop, but I had the good sense to pick an Intel 2500k for the processor, which turned out to be a legendary little SKU in the end.
Framework is exciting because it promises to allow that kind of thing in a laptop form factor. I've never used it though. I'm sadly locked into Surface for my work, which requires quick sketching. They're nice devices but they don't fill me with confidence.

Speaking of the market incentives, there is the chance that right to repair legislation changes things and leads to more modular and interchangeable hardware. Probably not, but we can dream. I figure if the EU could make Apple ditch their stupid proprietary port then anything is possible.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: Kataphract
Joined
30 December 2022
Messages
1,285
Reactions Received
1,415
Location
The Ashralien Bunker
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
927
Fandom
Syndicate
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatevs works
I'm sadly locked into Surface for my work, which requires quick sketching. They're nice devices but they don't fill me with confidence.
For how hard it is to even get open in the first place I must give it its due respect commend it on it's "vapor chamber" cooler It's a super cool idea for true silent operation. My surface, however, heh, it just sat there and bricked itself overnight. Dead, donezo, no response. Not even a power surge, it just went unresponsive. my best guess is that it uses glue in some places where screws should have been used, and cyclic heating caused it to unstick, unplugging a critical component.
Speaking of the market incentives, there is the chance that right to repair legislation changes things and leads to more modular and interchangeable hardware. Probably not, but we can dream. I figure if the EU could make Apple ditch their stupid proprietary port then anything is possible.
I really hope the EU can really hold on to the skills they learned from beating apple. I'm genuinely hopeful for the EU to continue to lead consumer protections, I really am. Fairphone or not, I want to get my hands on an EU version of whatever I'm getting next, already due to their strong laws in protecting the consumer.

I have to look into the 2500k because already, they look like they can still be relevant in the modern environment; a lot of videos show them easily pulling win10, 11 and games for a "budget gaming pc setup" niche.
 
  • Like
Reactions: catonkatonk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread