There's been countless controversies in kpop but none has been as enduring or as traumatic to i-fans, POCs in general, and black folk as the one that occurred in that fateful scene in Queendom Season 1 (you know which one), where Soyeon said "ethnic hip" to describe certain styles.
It's going to be over 5 years and i-fans are still talking about it as if it happened yesterday. https://twitter.com/search?q="ethnic hip"&src=typed_query&f=live
The question is why did it have such a strong effect? There's been idols who have done literal crimes but they don't get hated daily for it on twitter. Personally I don't find it offensive because I think Soyeon is not good with English overall. She uses words but she doesn't really know the exact meaning. But people have the right to feel offended.
It's going to be over 5 years and i-fans are still talking about it as if it happened yesterday. https://twitter.com/search?q="ethnic hip"&src=typed_query&f=live
The question is why did it have such a strong effect? There's been idols who have done literal crimes but they don't get hated daily for it on twitter. Personally I don't find it offensive because I think Soyeon is not good with English overall. She uses words but she doesn't really know the exact meaning. But people have the right to feel offended.