- Joined
- 27 August 2018
- Messages
- 71,386
- Reactions Received
- 151,399
- Cards
- View Profile
- KS Coins
- 129,595
- Fandom
- Lex stan
- Gender
- Female
- Pronouns
- she/her
- Ship
- Wreck
During WW1 (and many other wars), hardtack was a common food soldiers had to eat. Hardtack was a flour, water and salt biscuit that was so hard that you usually broke it with a rock and then soaked it in something to make it edible. One Canadian regiment said that even their goat mascot couldn’t eat it, and then made a whole poem about it from the perspective of the goat.
“I’ve chewed a deck of cards,
I’ve dined off nails,
If this was a sardine tin I might risk it;
But this is where my goatish courage fails,
I simply can’t digest this H.T. Biscuit”
I guess they needed some way to keep their spirits up
“I’ve chewed a deck of cards,
I’ve dined off nails,
If this was a sardine tin I might risk it;
But this is where my goatish courage fails,
I simply can’t digest this H.T. Biscuit”
I guess they needed some way to keep their spirits up