COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

What could forums do better? (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
STARWOL
WHAT COULD KPOP FORUMS IN GENERAL IMPROVE IN? WHAT DO YOU THINK IS SOMETHING YOU SEE ON EVERY KPOP FORUM YOU EVER BEEN ON YOU WISH WAS DIFFERENT?

do not hate or bash forums and no need to name forum names, if you want to reply, you can be honest but just keep it general ♥

i like to talk forum stuff as i been a forum lover since my teenage years - hence why so many forum related topics from me :wimwim:
and i was wondering what you guys think of kpop forums on what they could do better in general
it could be about anything.... board wise, staff wise, rule wise, layout wise etc
stuff you seen on almost every kpop forum you ever been on , something you think could or should improve

as for me; i am not too sure , sometimes i feel a lot of kpop forums use friend politics in different ways and on different matters it apply which i think could use improvement
and i also feel though some kpop forums could improve in hiring more professional people as staff instead of people who show either lazyness task wise or not as kind behaviour towards the community

tagging some active cute members
@yellowcoat @blooming @Taehyun @gayzone @cosmic_gayls @honeyfornomoney @Wingfrost @Vikki @bulletproof @Drew_B @uwuWinter @Reo @OnlyCalB @Flocon
@Yili @Lovely_Cornchips @raymondchouku @Tickita @Darth_Felflame @milk @primarina @RunningMan @amourpinks @mysteric @chris_m @eclipsoul @orangejuice @RandAlThor @Xeulgi

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
multi BG
I like your ideas and I think you have hit a nail on its head.

I would say more open communication between staff and the members. sure, sure, there is a suggestion thread, but whenever someone suggests something there is always a reply with "we´ll take that in consideration". Maybe if that person has a really good idea, why not say: good point, wanna work on it more and present us with a detailed idea how to do it? Maybe even give that person a task. Maybe that member will realise that their idea is out of this world or maybe they will come up with a really good plan. I have seen many forums being "open to suggestions" and "friendly" , but usually they ended up with being too careful, too fearful and too closed.

I´d suggest more open space for newbies. Maybe a bit of a survey in the beginning? Maybe instead of tag list of fandoms, you could also have a list of users that are fans of the given group so people could find friends easily?

Editable profile. I would love more profile to be more personalised :). I just dig that, can´t help it. I know I can write the "about me" section, but still.

Points. All I have understood is that I can "buy" badges with them and maybe some frames? Maybe something else could be done with it?

Supporting the threads. I feel like with cards and all the yadadada, people are concentrated on creating as many threads as they can and talk about off-topic things as much as they can. Maybe reward people for creating threads? For taking care of them? Maybe with some badges like "BTS President" or something like that?

Make people create stuff and post it via challenges. So what if someone can´t edit? I love Ateez and would edit anything just for the sake of showing my love. Why not create events around that? I think everyone should get a chance to shine. What about graphics challenge, writing challenge etc.?

Foreign languages - I would love to see a section where people could speak, practice the language of their choice. Japanese corner for Japenese geeks, Korean one, French one, Spanish one and so on. I never see people speaking in any other language but English and I love English but it is a shame.

I´ll probably post more later, I need to finish my Death Note episode :D.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
multi BG
everyone: being diplomatic
me: complaining the heck out of this "facepalm"

mysteric

.*゚+ rest in peace our little pear blossom *+.
Reactions Received
Website
aespas.carrd.com
KS Coins
Fandom
MeU & MY
Pronouns
she ♡ her
Ship
Supporting the threads. I feel like with cards and all the yadadada, people are concentrated on creating as many threads as they can and talk about off-topic things as much as they can. Maybe reward people for creating threads? For taking care of them? Maybe with some badges like "BTS President" or something like that?
I think there's one initiative about that for artist threads: whoever posts the most relevant posts on any artist thread that reaches 50 pages gets a custom badge

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
multi BG
I think there's one initiative about that for artist threads: whoever posts the most relevant posts on any artist thread that reaches 50 pages gets a custom badge
50 pages? how am I supposed to do that since I´m like the only person updating the threads? that´s quite unfair because some groups have tons of fans while the others are brilliant but don´t get that much attention. plus, these days people don´t update threads, they usually create new so they can get cards :D. instead of posting a video into a thread where it belongs, everyone just posts a new thread.

mysteric

.*゚+ rest in peace our little pear blossom *+.
Reactions Received
Website
aespas.carrd.com
KS Coins
Fandom
MeU & MY
Pronouns
she ♡ her
Ship
50 pages? how am I supposed to do that since I´m like the only person updating the threads? that´s quite unfair because some groups have tons of fans while the others are brilliant but don´t get that much attention. plus, these days people don´t update threads, they usually create new so they can get cards :D. instead of posting a video into a thread where it belongs, everyone just posts a new thread.
me with the9 before I stopped running that updates acc :yolk:
but yeah, I've definitely seen that problem where some group content that should get posted into the group thread get posted as its own

Reactions Received
KS Coins
to be fair i don't think people even check the artist threads, there are not as many dedicated people here when it comes to supporting a specific group tbh. im just gonna bring another forum, akp, they have a lot of users who are specifically dedicated to one group. It's way easier for them to have artist threads that people actually interact with. it's just that a lot of people on here are multis.

Yachii

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Hackers
It's quite possible to do it if you are dedicated enough. See that Nao gif badge of mine? I got it by bringing my PassCode thread to 50 pages and it was done almost on my own. I still feel solitary when I post there, yet I keep it alive.

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Lex stan
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck

I would say more open communication between staff and the members. sure, sure, there is a suggestion thread, but whenever someone suggests something there is always a reply with "we´ll take that in consideration". Maybe if that person has a really good idea, why not say: good point, wanna work on it more and present us with a detailed idea how to do it? Maybe even give that person a task. Maybe that member will realise that their idea is out of this world or maybe they will come up with a really good plan. I have seen many forums being "open to suggestions" and "friendly" , but usually they ended up with being too careful, too fearful and too closed.

I´d suggest more open space for newbies. Maybe a bit of a survey in the beginning? Maybe instead of tag list of fandoms, you could also have a list of users that are fans of the given group so people could find friends easily?

Editable profile. I would love more profile to be more personalised :). I just dig that, can´t help it. I know I can write the "about me" section, but still.

Points. All I have understood is that I can "buy" badges with them and maybe some frames? Maybe something else could be done with it?

Make people create stuff and post it via challenges. So what if someone can´t edit? I love Ateez and would edit anything just for the sake of showing my love. Why not create events around that? I think everyone should get a chance to shine. What about graphics challenge, writing challenge etc.?

Foreign languages - I would love to see a section where people could speak, practice the language of their choice. Japanese corner for Japenese geeks, Korean one, French one, Spanish one and so on. I never see people speaking in any other language but English and I love English but it is a shame.

Part of the issue with foreign languages is that we can’t moderate in other languages since we don’t necessarily have staff that can understand it. That’s why we ask to keep it English. We did have a discord I made dedicated to language learning but it died sadly :yolk:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
STARWOL
to be fair i don't think people even check the artist threads, there are not as many dedicated people here when it comes to supporting a specific group tbh. im just gonna bring another forum, akp, they have a lot of users who are specifically dedicated to one group. It's way easier for them to have artist threads that people actually interact with. it's just that a lot of people on here are multis.
i wasn't going to get specific but since you guys started...
i have never paid much attention to the artists threads and the activity of the board but if it is extremely low
and most active members here cba to keep them updated and rather post everything in a new thread
than isn't it an idea for ks to eventually just get rid of the board and think of something new instead?
if something doesn't work and suit your community you could always adjust and try something new

i mean the whole custom badge is cool reward but yeah if no one is active there it is a waste
might as well think of something new?

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
STARWOL

i love how you always put so much thought into a lot of your posts
i think your first , second, sixth are great ones

your idea on the list of users of given groups to find friends... you could do that by clicking the fandom tags as then you will see a list of everyone who wants to be tagged about given group :mgblush: or do you mean just a more easy quick access for new members who haven't noticed that yet?

your fifth one also makes sense, a forum wouldn't get hurt by providing members with more rewarding options and challenges

your last one sounds cute but it is not doable unless a forum has the capacity and resources to actually moderate them other language corners , like @Vikki stated - it is too dangerous to make that happen for spanish or so whilst no staff speaks spanish and thus can't make sure if the members stick to the forum rules

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multi-king
Ship
/We actually do this with events specifically, someone gives an event idea and we help them make it happen while letting them host if possible. Mostly everything else is up to the staff in general cause it has to be approved. So if we say something is taken into consideration it essentially means we're gonna vote on it on discord.

/This exists, it's in the introduction part of the forum. There's a thread for people to find friends essentially. For me tho a lot of the charm of forums is finding friends on your own through thread interaction and such. That's mostly how I made all my friends.

. All I have understood is that I can "buy" badges with them and maybe some frames? Maybe something else could be done with it?
/ I'm staff and I forget what points are for too. Don't worry xD

Supporting the threads
. I feel like with cards and all the yadadada, people are concentrated on creating as many threads as they can and talk about off-topic things as much as they can. Maybe reward people for creating threads? For taking care of them? Maybe with some badges like "BTS President" or something like that?
/ Fair point, thing is, as some people have mentioned, people don't care much for really long standing threads here... so it's hard to support something rarely anyone cares about. These threads also easily fall off the radar cause they aren't in "What's new" and people love to click that.

Make people create stuff and post it via challenges
. So what if someone can´t edit? I love Ateez and would edit anything just for the sake of showing my love. Why not create events around that? I think everyone should get a chance to shine. What about graphics challenge, writing challenge etc.?
/We've actually done a milion of these ahhahahahh, like way too many that's why we aren't doing them right now.

Sorry for the answer fest I just wanted you to know that we are trying with most of these and we'd like these things to function too.

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multi-king
Ship
Only thing I always find kinda annoying is how cluttered stuff is. It's hard to have a forum that both shows you everything and doesn't overwhelm you with info. Cause it's annoying having to go through 4 clicks to get to a certain thing instead of 1 but it's also stupid to have to find it in a single overloaded page.

It's not something that's fixable really but still

Reactions Received
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
TL:DR
1) become a discord based forum/server completely (except for dinosaurs like me n my ilk, i dont see much newer, younger users joining a kpop forum in general n sticking ard much for long. School, life n the non-immediate nature of a forum seem to be wats preventing more newer younger users from engaging, whereas immediate gratification is more important for them to engagefrom my personal observation only.

2) there needs 7 billion different ways to personalise a kpop forum to how each potential user wants it for a kpop forum to be more widely spread n used regularly. Since tats impossible im satisfied with how KS is run n will stick to being active here. All the ideas i read in this thread seem idealistic n time-consuming for a non-money making forum reliant on volunteers n user interaction. If a kpop forum has paid staff i can point u to one example tat is not where u r spending the majority of ur time there.

3) tldr this post: im happy here with how this forum is handled by owner-nim, staff/mods/admins n the users who stick it out n even those who hv left either for good or temporarily for their own reasons. PS im pretty sure theres a forum for forum minutae. Im a lurker on a site where voting statistics n systems for a fan award were discussed n then wrote up (by them, i dint take part) n finally implemented by the fan award in question (not a kpop award, btw). I also watched the meeting(s) where the proposal(s) n bylaws of that organisation were moved to be accepted, deferred or rejected or even committed to be further discussed for later disposal AND HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR MOST OF 50 YEARS, WITH DOCUMENTATION. Ofc the difference is their a dues-paying with money-making (tho volunteer run) ventures unlike a kpop forum. You could try to be a part of the decision making process by joining the staff or otherwise finding a way to merge ur interest in kpop n forum minutae. I admit i mostly gloss over the forum minutae threads as its too many n not wat im most interested in here. Holistic progress n evolution is more my speed, i think. Ymmv.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread