What shocked you in kpop? (1 Viewer)

Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
3,333
Reactions Received
8,736
Location
☼ Shine brighter than the Sun ☼
Website
www.HOW-TO-BE-AS-PERFECT-THAN-ME.Com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18
Fandom
MY/Sone/reveluv
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatever i don't care
The first thing who suprise me was the word "trainee" and i couldn't understand

Because in french trainee mean a whore

So i couldn't understand why agency would train whore for the industry

I was too naive :(
 

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
Trainee means whore in french? :nakypog:

I was just shocked at how little money many idols make even months or sometimes years after debut, and how many struggle with their post idol life. I'd imagined they'd be set for life but many do odd jobs to make a living.
 
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
3,333
Reactions Received
8,736
Location
☼ Shine brighter than the Sun ☼
Website
www.HOW-TO-BE-AS-PERFECT-THAN-ME.Com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18
Fandom
MY/Sone/reveluv
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatever i don't care
Trainee means whore in french? :nakypog:

I was just shocked at how little money many idols make even months or sometimes years after debut, and how many struggle with their post idol life. I'd imagined they'd be set for life but many do odd jobs to make a living.
Yes, but it less use in this sense now
Now we mostly use pute to say whore
While people will now use more trainee for a girl who is sleeping with a man who already have a girlfriend
 

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
Yes, but it less use in this sense now
Now we mostly use pute to say whore
While people will now use more trainee for a girl who is sleeping with a man who already have a girlfriend
Oof thanks lol.

I learnt French for a semester but we never learned these words obviously XD
 
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
3,333
Reactions Received
8,736
Location
☼ Shine brighter than the Sun ☼
Website
www.HOW-TO-BE-AS-PERFECT-THAN-ME.Com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18
Fandom
MY/Sone/reveluv
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatever i don't care
Oof thanks lol.

I learnt French for a semester but we never learned these words obviously XD
You'll never learn them in a classroom

You need to come in france, and walk in the street to really know how to speak french
Because even if you know the language and you don't have any accent it's easy for us to see if you're a foreigner or not based on the way you talk
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darkseid

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
You'll never learn them in a classroom

You need to come in france, and walk in the street to really know how to speak french
Because even if you know the language and you don't have any accent it's easy for us to see if you're a foreigner or not based on the way you talk
That's true for all languages tbf.

But even in classroom, I flopped badly so :yolk:
 
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
3,333
Reactions Received
8,736
Location
☼ Shine brighter than the Sun ☼
Website
www.HOW-TO-BE-AS-PERFECT-THAN-ME.Com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18
Fandom
MY/Sone/reveluv
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatever i don't care
That's true for all languages tbf.

But even in classroom, I flopped badly so :yolk:
Honestly french is so hard that even me struggle with it xDDD
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Darkseid

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Trainee means whore in french? :nakypog:

I was just shocked at how little money many idols make even months or sometimes years after debut, and how many struggle with their post idol life. I'd imagined they'd be set for life but many do odd jobs to make a living.
Same actually. Some of them are of course rich af, but even many in rather popular groups still haven't their trainee debt payed off or are still struggling just to everyday life too. Like B.A.P and Block B were big surprises for me cause they have always been pretty popular within i-fans especially, but to find out that they companies paid them next to nth and I think Block B had to even pay for stuff on their own or their parents had to.

Another one for me was seeing in how poor conditions some idols live. Like I remember seeing After School's dorm and how it lacked even some basic furniture despite it being their dorm years and years (i think it was showed in Roommate that Nana was part of I'm not sure) And F.Cuz was showing off their dorm at the time and they had all beds in same tiny room and most weirdest thing was that they had only 4 beds when the group had 5 members :taeminface: . Its just that you see these idols on stage, all dressed up, hair done, make up done, design clothes, worshipped by fans- and then they go back to dorms to sleep and they have these tiniest messy apartments that are worse than any place you have ever lived yourself.
 

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
Same actually. Some of them are of course rich af, but even many in rather popular groups still haven't their trainee debt payed off or are still struggling just to everyday life too. Like B.A.P and Block B were big surprises for me cause they have always been pretty popular within i-fans especially, but to find out that they companies paid them next to nth and I think Block B had to even pay for stuff on their own or their parents had to.

Another one for me was seeing in how poor conditions some idols live. Like I remember seeing After School's dorm and how it lacked even some basic furniture despite it being their dorm years and years (i think it was showed in Roommate that Nana was part of I'm not sure) And F.Cuz was showing off their dorm at the time and they had all beds in same tiny room and most weirdest thing was that they had only 4 beds when the group had 5 members :taeminface: . Its just that you see these idols on stage, all dressed up, hair done, make up done, design clothes, worshipped by fans- and then they go back to dorms to sleep and they have these tiniest messy apartments that are worse than any place you have ever lived yourself.
Yeah I guess many idols do come from rich families so it's okay for them, but especially after seeing how Western musicians can make a living with their music and then comparing it to how idols have to live was pretty shocking.

And it really just reaffirms how manufactured the whole industry is. Like you say, when we see them all styled up and looking expensive af on stage, one would think they are grade A celebrities but it's only the agencies making money while they are just products who go to their cheap living conditions once the cameras are off. They eat what their company wants them to eat, they wear what they are told to wear, they're human puppets in many ways.

Also, I saw Jiwon from SPICA audition for The Unit and they showed this clip of what she was up to after Spica's disbandment and it was really surprising to see her work the kind of job she was. Give this a watch.

 
  • Like
Reactions: blueberries

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Yeah I guess many idols do come from rich families so it's okay for them, but especially after seeing how Western musicians can make a living with their music and then comparing it to how idols have to live was pretty shocking.

And it really just reaffirms how manufactured the whole industry is. Like you say, when we see them all styled up and looking expensive af on stage, one would think they are grade A celebrities but it's only the agencies making money while they are just products who go to their cheap living conditions once the cameras are off. They eat what their company wants them to eat, they wear what they are told to wear, they're human puppets in many ways.

Also, I saw Jiwon from SPICA audition for The Unit and they showed this clip of what she was up to after Spica's disbandment and it was really surprising to see her work the kind of job she was. Give this a watch.

It does. Some idols are able to escape that, but for some it's just all work and going with what company just decides to give you. I'm always glad when there is some idols that stand against the bad treatment and just take the leashes on their own hands. Most recently Hyuna I guess, Cube tried some nope they aren't dating, but Hyuna just ignored that and was this is my boo, i love him, and btw fck u Cube I will take my boo and sign up elsewere! Such badass :d

Oh I'm actually fan of SPICA and I watched the Unit, which is clearly superior and more heartfelt than anything Produce has tried to pull off, so I know: I also saw clips recently of Bohyung having street performance and people just walking by. Like wtf how can you walk buy when you have one of best singers kpop has ever had just singing live in front of you :umjicry:
 
  • Like
Reactions: dooh and Darkseid

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
It does. Some idols are able to escape that, but for some it's just all work and going with what company just decides to give you. I'm always glad when there is some idols that stand against the bad treatment and just take the leashes on their own hands. Most recently Hyuna I guess, Cube tried some nope they aren't dating, but Hyuna just ignored that and was this is my boo, i love him, and btw fck u Cube I will take my boo and sign up elsewere! Such badass :d

Oh I'm actually fan of SPICA and I watched the Unit, which is clearly superior and more heartfelt than anything Produce has tried to pull off, so I know: I also saw clips recently of Bohyung having street performance and people just walking by. Like wtf how can you walk buy when you have one of best singers kpop has ever had just singing live in front of you :umjicry:
Lol Hyuna is a rare case coz she can afford to do it, and fuck Cube anyway XD
I wonder how many idols have been in her place and had to be accommodating to fulfill their company's wishes instead. Sad life :umjicry:

You watched The Unit? I'm surprised, but you also watched Produce so maybe not :jisoosmh:
Yes I know, nobody cares if you sing good if you're not popular/pretty :umjicry::pandamad:
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Lol Hyuna is a rare case coz she can afford to do it, and fuck Cube anyway XD
I wonder how many idols have been in her place and had to be accommodating to fulfill their company's wishes instead. Sad life :umjicry:

You watched The Unit? I'm surprised, but you also watched Produce so maybe not :jisoosmh:
Yes I know, nobody cares if you sing good if you're not popular/pretty :umjicry::pandamad:
True. Maybe more respect goes to E'Dawn who was just rookie at the time. He was really living it risky, but seems like payed of for him too.

Of course, I loved the Unit. Didn't care about the final group as much though, their music wasn't for me xd I watched just Produce48, got bit interested with all AKB48 hype around it. It was entertaining to watch, but musically I'd say lot below the Unit.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dooh and Darkseid
Joined
2 May 2019
Messages
146
Reactions Received
443
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Trainee debt honestly.

Unlike schools, producing companies keep making money from idols once they "graduate" from trainee status and on the top they have to sign contract for several years. So it was just... Weird and wrong to me. I seriously still dont understand how is this system even legal.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Trainee debt honestly.

Unlike schools, producing companies keep making money from idols once they "graduate" from trainee status and on the top they have to sign contract for several years. So it was just... Weird and wrong to me. I seriously still dont understand how is this system even legal.
There is lot of exploitation for sure, and especially exploitation of teenagers and even children. Cause lot of these trainees are underage when they sign up to these long ass contracts and get themselves into debts, and often they can get misleaded and even tricked into sth.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dooh
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
45,094
Reactions Received
52,962
Location
Rosé's World
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
172,608
Fandom
GoldenStar
Gender
Male
Same actually. Some of them are of course rich af, but even many in rather popular groups still haven't their trainee debt payed off or are still struggling just to everyday life too. Like B.A.P and Block B were big surprises for me cause they have always been pretty popular within i-fans especially, but to find out that they companies paid them next to nth and I think Block B had to even pay for stuff on their own or their parents had to.

Another one for me was seeing in how poor conditions some idols live. Like I remember seeing After School's dorm and how it lacked even some basic furniture despite it being their dorm years and years (i think it was showed in Roommate that Nana was part of I'm not sure) And F.Cuz was showing off their dorm at the time and they had all beds in same tiny room and most weirdest thing was that they had only 4 beds when the group had 5 members :taeminface: . Its just that you see these idols on stage, all dressed up, hair done, make up done, design clothes, worshipped by fans- and then they go back to dorms to sleep and they have these tiniest messy apartments that are worse than any place you have ever lived yourself.
i think we believe in it (idols lives being glamorous n classy) bcos it's a myth perpetuated by hundreds of years of fancy parties n high living in royal France in the courts of their kings, n continued by Hollywood n such(20s or thereabouts America had writers n Ny newspapers hyping up writers n parties); also their imitators in every country: they want us to believe stars n idols aren't ordinary people so that we pay to see their movies/tv n consume their products: i.e. High fashion, also to entice people to be the next generation of stars. Esp. put up w/conditions tat exploit the newcomers n lower-level stars in hopes of becoming the top stars themselves.

But I believe only, or at least somewhat, in kpop/hallyu the reality shows thru more cos they're less experience/fewer years than Hollywood/jpn. It's just my theory abt that.

I wrote in another thread here abt difference between US n Korea shows-how running man more spontaneous than us shows, cos us/western stars won't risk their image nowadays-compare Mission impossible on running man n BlackPink on James Corden. Tom cruise has mansions/estate while wat does BlackPink members hv-not comparable, or even YG himself. Just sth to think abt. :sanathink::jenniesmug:
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
i think we believe in it (idols lives being glamorous n classy) bcos it's a myth perpetuated by hundreds of years of fancy parties n high living in royal France in the courts of their kings, n continued by Hollywood n such(20s or thereabouts America had writers n Ny newspapers hyping up writers n parties); also their imitators in every country: they want us to believe stars n idols aren't ordinary people so that we pay to see their movies/tv n consume their products: i.e. High fashion, also to entice people to be the next generation of stars. Esp. put up w/conditions tat exploit the newcomers n lower-level stars in hopes of becoming the top stars themselves.

But I believe only, or at least somewhat, in kpop/hallyu the reality shows thru more cos they're less experience/fewer years than Hollywood/jpn. It's just my theory abt that.

I wrote in another thread here abt difference between US n Korea shows-how running man more spontaneous than us shows, cos us/western stars won't risk their image nowadays-compare Mission impossible on running man n BlackPink on James Corden. Tom cruise has mansions/estate while wat does BlackPink members hv-not comparable, or even YG himself. Just sth to think abt. :sanathink::jenniesmug:
Oh that's interesting theory. Celebrities as the royalty and nobles of this age.

I mean it's true that stars are overpayed in general. For example movie stars get crazy amounts of money if divided for work hours only cause they have star power, if you cast someone with big name then people will come to watch your movie. They don't get payed for work they do, they will get payed for influence they have over people.

I'm not sure if I agree that western stars wouldn't risk their image and korean stars would. I think it's more about cultural norms, korean stars "risk" their image in ways that is culturally acceptable in Korea and might get pay off from that, many artist have made themselves for being funny in variety shows. In other hand many western start reveal lot of things about themselves, embrassing included, that I don't think many korean stars would be able to.
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Everything:
The trainee system
The debt
The plastic surgery
 
  • Like
Reactions: wayvoutsold
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
Nothing :pandahappy: Kpop is my ideal of entertainment
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread