What terminology do you use for roads? (1 Viewer)

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,384
Reactions Received
151,392
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I’ve got a list :uwu: this is just US and Canada

Highway: Any road that goes decently far, plus state highways. Usually I only say highway if it’s general.

Freeway/interstate: interchangeable in theory but I use freeway more if it’s general, interstate is just what google maps tells me. The road can not have traffic lights or entrances/exits other than ramps. Tools are fine. In the US, it would have a designation of I-(number here). In Quebec, it’s autoroutes for me, denoted with an A-(put number here). In Ontario, it’s most highways with 3 digits. These are all highways too, but I wouldn’t call it a highway myself usually, though if I’m talking to someone who calls it a highway I probably will say highway also.

Turnpike: basically any road called a turnpike. Most have or have had tolls but not all. Most are pretty big roads but not all. Some are interstates too, but not all. Most are highways but not all are.

State Highway: the state said “this a state highway”. Ez

Routes: Someone said it’s a route and gave it a number. Theoretically is any road with a number, al the way up to interstates, which are all routes, but the only time I actually say route is if it’s a road that’s not big in terms of how many lanes there are and isn’t a freeway or turnpike, but it still goes kinda far. I also need to be talking about a specific one, if I’m not giving a number then I call it a highway instead, unless it’s a freeway which I’d say freeway instead of highway. But in theory, any road with a number is a route.

This is most of the biggest ones. I don’t think we have enough designations of roads, wouldn’t you guys agree? :chill:
 

dark_tranquility

YOᑌ ᗪIᗪᑎ'T ᗷᗴTᖇᗩY ᗰᗴ, YOᑌ ᗷᗴTᖇᗩYᗴᗪ YOᑌᖇSᗴᒪᖴ
.
.
Joined
10 September 2019
Messages
62,040
Reactions Received
52,508
Location
Europe and Asia
Website
www.ancestry.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
200,975
Fandom
𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Eurasian
I think aus has some the same if I recall?

maybe motorway
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka

eclipsoul

that one friend that's too woke
.
.
Joined
14 October 2019
Messages
25,595
Reactions Received
43,659
Location
too embarassed to show that country here
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
40,408
Fandom
Orbit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
i just say ulica or jezdnia which means the same as street or "place where people drive" :wimwim: all those highway etc. terms are like a foreign language to me because to me all these roads look the same
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,384
Reactions Received
151,392
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Can’t forget about roundabouts!
For which I have 3 names :teatea: I didn’t include them because I view them as a feature of a road rather than a type of road but there’s an argument for them being here
 
  • Wow
Reactions: athenaaa

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,384
Reactions Received
151,392
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I think I use Interstate most often than not. I find Freeway is most often used in the west.
Yeah I discovered that too when looking at maps of dialect differences in the US. For some reason my family always used freeway, even though nobody in my family lived anywhere close to the west at any point :haylul:
 
  • Haha
Reactions: gone4good

DaisySkies

it is what will hurt the least
.
Joined
25 October 2023
Messages
9,332
Reactions Received
8,650
Location
east egg
Website
scratch.mit.edu
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
42,566
Fandom
STAY
Gender
Female
freeway/interstate
highway
roundabout
ice bridge

never heard of a turnpike, we call those toll bridges :haylul:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread