When was kpop first coined "kpop"? (1 Viewer)

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
You mean like when did Koreans themselves start branding it as "kpop"?

I don't know.

It was always "Korean pop" by definition. But they probably just referred to it as "pop" themselves for the longest time.

I don't know when they started using the actual phrase "Kpop" to market. Maybe when the Hallyu Wave started? Or they started international marketing?
 

Drew_B

.
Joined
2 March 2019
Messages
5,950
Reactions Received
15,071
Location
USA
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
2,849
Fandom
MeU
Gender
Male
You mean like when did Koreans themselves start branding it as "kpop"?

I don't know.

It was always "Korean pop" by definition. But they probably just referred to it as "pop" themselves for the longest time.

I don't know when they started using the actual phrase "Kpop" to market. Maybe when the Hallyu Wave started? Or they started international marketing?
Now you got me wondering if Koreans even call it kpop. I guess there would be no reason to for them. It's not like we always referred to ours as Apop. It was just pop to us.

I'm just curious when it was first called "kpop" by anyone. Korean or foreigner. Cause watching these old live streams from the 90s theres never a mention of the music name or ever any acknowledgement that they are in the first generation of a new style of music. I guess to them it's just the same popular music thats been around since the 50s.

"First generation of kpop" I guess is just a term used in retrospect.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
yeah pretty sure it‘s more of a branding thing which probably started with SM.

I also think that what we would say is kpop, that koreans tend to think of it as idol music.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Drew_B

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread