COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Who here had Friendster and/or ICQ or AIM or YM (added Geocities at last second) as their way of connecting to other ppl online(excluding email ofc)? (1 Viewer)

Did you use any of these services? (Choose whichever you ever used) limit 5 choices so choose wisely

• R u kidding, i wasnt even born then/i was still a baby/kid when these were hot-I feel so old now LOL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reply a snarky answer of ur own in the comments, thnx

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions Received
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
Reading all this talk here about SNS n forums makes me think of the old days when we had Flinstones-style internet communication means.

Using Friendster was so difficult cos of only online ppl i knew were already ppl i knew irl n i had tat 1 friend who hard spammed my email with links or stuff i dont even rmbr now.

ICQ/AIM/Yahoo messenger also i had no friends/means to connect with the wider mass of users becos i dint know how to.

Even the first forum(s) i joined many years ago, i was mainly lurking cos all the real time activity happened 12 hrs different time zone from me, n i was busy/asleep when they were active, sigh. (They're still active n kinda multiplied or sth but i been inactive yrs ago, still they started a discord server so...i joined the discord server, hmmm.)

MySpace and those first few build ur own websites i think i had an acct but i wasnt rlly active on there, i cant rmbr which website builder i used in those days. It was rlly simple maybe n kinda ugly too. (I used Geocities i think but only vaguely rmbr , wonder if its still ard, my website still exists? Dont even rmbr domain or password or email acct i created it with, LOL)

So which of the KS users here even know wat im talking abt? Or were even born yet when Friendster, MySpace, ICQ/AIM/YM (added Geocities at last second b4 posting), ruled supreme and looked like they were going to last forever as the Lords of the Internet Communications realms?

@SHlNEE @Mr_Boogie @RandAlThor @emanresu @SeulPika @Yachii @milk @PWSwan @honeyfornomoney @geegell @ohmygay @gayzone @eclipsoul @amourpinks @DarlingBlue @mysteric @primarina @JakeyWantsCakey
Limiting my tagging cos im not sure who else to tag/not tag. I could tag the whole forum(but im not gonna).

Reactions Received
KS Coins
also those who had AOL at some point are OG :rosesmug: I miss AIM... yahoo messenger doesn't even compare!

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
also those who had AOL at some point are OG :rosesmug: I miss AIM... yahoo messenger doesn't even compare!
I nvr had AOL, not in my country/region so couldnt/dint hv it. I included it cos it was so ubiquitous those AOL/AIM disks, so it entered like the collective consciousness of which my mind is part of, LOL. So i cant relate, ICQ was KING here tho it was hard to find accts to connect to, there was no central directory or anything like tat-mebbe tats y it died.Not easy to find ppl in it, so Friendster/FB killed it.

@Drew_B u changed ur username without any warning! Oh well. More effort to rmbr this next time.

Drew_B

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MeU
Oh man I forgot all about ICQ. I was using that back in 1998 on my first computer.

Is it still around?

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
Oh man I forgot all about ICQ. I was using that back in 1998 on my first computer.

Is it still around?
No idea man. Even if it is, like maybe 5 users still talking to each other on it. I cba to google it rn, be my guest if u do tho. Lmfao.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
i used myspace and AIM but none of the other ones lmao i did use another social media site that has now died that was called nexopia
according to google it was canadian so its probably super niche

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
i used myspace and AIM but none of the other ones lmao i did use another social media site that has now died that was called nexopia
according to google it was canadian so its probably super niche
Myspace ig was KING in its day too bad abt it now.

Im sure other than nexopia there musta been a ton of clone sns sites tat died after FB/IG/Twt appeared n demolished most of its competition. Even now more keep popping up like Mastodon n such. I cant keep up with alla them.

Mew

~Angel of Death~
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Shawol
.i feel old reading these, but I use to use, myspace, yahoo messenger, friendster(mainly for my Filipino fam)
Geocities at some point.
MSN nessenger
Bebo
And something called student centre.

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
.i feel old reading these, but I use to use, myspace, yahoo messenger, friendster(mainly for my Filipino fam)
Geocities at some point.
MSN nessenger
Bebo
And something called student centre.
Im even older than u cos i dint even mention the stuff i wasnt on when i was a teenager but dint realise they could connect to the rest of the world like BBSes/Usenet/stuff i mighta looked inti but then wouldnt be able to afford to buy alla the comics/books which kept me busy much longer than the BBS/Usenet woulda been feasible to use/cost too much mebbe. I only knew abt BBSes from reading abt it then so nvr got into it. Took until late 90s/2000s/2010s for me to rlly get into the hang of things, still hvnt rlly in 2020 tryin' out new stuff like discord n stuff. Wordpress of stuff from this century/millennium, im such acdinosaur/feel like an ole fossil sigh. I cant keep up with the kids anymore, not tat i ever could then either, LOL.

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
Reactions Received
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
KS Coins
Fandom
Once, Sone
I had ICQ if I remember right.
It was all the rage for the kids those days.

Even crazier. Not messaging but still old tech.

I mean do you all remember dial up?

Like literally we had to dial in to connect to the internet.

I remember I had to play my mmorpgs in the middle of the night because it blocked the phone line.

And my mom would scold me.

eclipsoul

barbie (2023) fan account
Reactions Received
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Orbit
Pronouns
she/her
none of what's mentioned here, most likely because they weren't even available in poland to begin with. instead of that, we had something called "nk/nasza klasa" which literally means "our class" in english. i remember using this when i was 10-11 years old, it was a mess to say the least. i don't think this exists outside of poland but it's not like i'm surprised :jisoosmh:

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
I had ICQ if I remember right.
It was all the rage for the kids those days.

Even crazier. Not messaging but still old tech.

I mean do you all remember dial up?

Like literally we had to dial in to connect to the internet.

I remember I had to play my mmorpgs in the middle of the night because it blocked the phone line.

And my mom would scold me.
That reminds me of a friend who i knew while i was college age who played MUDs, while talking on the phone maybe eating snacks n drinking soda also watching tv at the same time as talking to me on the phone before the internet was ard, so she/her family musta had more than one line, LOL. Good times, tho as i mentioned above i nvr got online until late 90s/early00s.

none of what's mentioned here, most likely because they weren't even available in poland to begin with. instead of that, we had something called "nk/nasza klasa" which literally means "our class" in english. i remember using this when i was 10-11 years old, it was a mess to say the least. i don't think this exists outside of poland but it's not like i'm surprised :jisoosmh:
I hv no words as i dint even think of non-english speaking countries versions of pre-/concurrent websites to those in my poll. Im flabbergasted but not surprised, does anyone rmbr the block game Tetris? It was built in Russia/USSR by a programmer/tech guy out of the available tools, the brains behind it mattered-not the technology available, at least insofar as he was able to work within its limitation n his genius/creativity. Same applies to "nk/nasza klasa" ig. Same difference as with Tetris. Wow.

Mew

~Angel of Death~
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Shawol
Im even older than u cos i dint even mention the stuff i wasnt on when i was a teenager but dint realise they could connect to the rest of the world like BBSes/Usenet/stuff i mighta looked inti but then wouldnt be able to afford to buy alla the comics/books which kept me busy much longer than the BBS/Usenet woulda been feasible to use/cost too much mebbe. I only knew abt BBSes from reading abt it then so nvr got into it. Took until late 90s/2000s/2010s for me to rlly get into the hang of things, still hvnt rlly in 2020 tryin' out new stuff like discord n stuff. Wordpress of stuff from this century/millennium, im such acdinosaur/feel like an ole fossil sigh. I cant keep up with the kids anymore, not tat i ever could then either, LOL.
Lol,
I don't know I mean i didn't touch a computer till I was 11 at school , that was in 2000 but it was limited Internet access)
i grew up poor so I would have missed alot of things, didn't have a home computer till 2005..
Although all these media accounts are wasted on me now, cause I forget I have them and don't really do online communication often.

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
Lol,
I don't know I mean i didn't touch a computer till I was 11 at school , that was in 2000 but it was limited Internet access)
i grew up poor so I would have missed alot of things, didn't have a home computer till 2005..
Although all these media accounts are wasted on me now, cause I forget I have them and don't really do online communication often.
Did the student centre resemble eclipsoul's "nk/naska klaza" tho? Or totally different? My nephews/nieces do online classes n hv done even as far bk as a few yrs ago. Ofc, their school/country is quite advanced technologically so its expected. The country im from n living in currently isnt quite as advanced rn. At least for most of its population.

N ur not missing much from not doing much online communication, i sometimes think it'd be better if i werent online so much, since recently-as i wasnt online as much just a few yrs ago n it seemed much better in many ways, n i dint miss wat i dint know abt then. Ofc now i know n regret the lost time/missed opportunities but this is now-me not then-me, then-me doesnt/dint care wat now-me has to go thru just as now-me doesnt care abt wat future-me has to go thru, not much anyway; maybe im finally learning sth. Who knows ask me again tmrw, LOL.

Mew

~Angel of Death~
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Shawol
Did the student centre resemble eclipsoul's "nk/naska klaza" tho? Or totally different? My nephews/nieces do online classes n hv done even as far bk as a few yrs ago. Ofc, their school/country is quite advanced technologically so its expected. The country im from n living in currently isnt quite as advanced rn. At least for most of its population.

N ur not missing much from not doing much online communication, i sometimes think it'd be better if i werent online so much, since recently-as i wasnt online as much just a few yrs ago n it seemed much better in many ways, n i dint miss wat i dint know abt then. Ofc now i know n regret the lost time/missed opportunities but this is now-me not then-me, then-me doesnt/dint care wat now-me has to go thru just as now-me doesnt care abt wat future-me has to go thru, not much anyway; maybe im finally learning sth. Who knows ask me again tmrw, LOL.
Student centre was American based as far as i remember this was like 2003/4. Just look like a standard message board, profiles, source material etc mainly for students. Where was no reason for me to be on it, as a 14 year old British student lol my friend said join it so I did, chatted to random people really.... My school had this weird phase were every just went into chat sites talking to random people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread