My favorite character is Luna =/
Why? Because she doesn't give me any problems
And I like that she just sees the world in a different way
It's partially because of canon and partially because of fanon, but I actually don't like most characters from the HP universe lol.....
McGonagall
Yaaaas, she's the truth. Snape was terrifying to many a student, but you knew who they were truly terrified of
I think Malfoy became more popular due to fanfics and Tom Felton being handsome af than anything about his own character. He was a stereotypical bully but fangirls made him out to be this super complex and interesting character.
True, true, can't argue with ya there.
I definitely like Fanon!Malfoy and fanon!Slytherins in general because of what they COULD HAVE BEEN, and the development I see played out for them in Slytherin!Apologetic fanfiction. Are they still "dicks"? Yep, but they're mostly developed into less paper-thin bully, self-centered and racist stereotypes and fashioned into something else. I see many a non-Slytherin characters (mostly from G-dor) as the opposite of the same coin personality-wise, tbh, but it is what it is. (That being said, I do like even-handed fanfiction in which people in general from the book grow the eff up, but hey.)