Why are super hero movies bombing ? (1 Viewer)

centen

.
.
.
Joined
5 January 2023
Messages
17,594
Reactions Received
18,269
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,025
Fandom
Neverland
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
I think the Marvels did poorly in particular because of the fact that it's a team-up of three superheroes, two of which were introduced via Disney+ shows. One of those shows (Ms. Marvel) was the worst streamed MCU show by a landslide, and the other show (WandaVision), the Captain Marvel in that (Monica) was a side character, so some people may not remember her character very well and may not remember what facts they're supposed to know for the movie to make sense.

I think, in general, Disney has been trying to make all the other things feel like required viewing so they get those huge numbers like they did in earlier installments of the MCU, which only the most diehard of fans are going to do these days. Other people are just going to pass on all of the content. Like, I'm not going to watch a Disney+ show or a different MCU movie about a superhero I don't even care about just to fully understand the movie about the one I do care about.

For the DC, they haven't had a coherent vision in years, so tbh, it's more surprising when they have a superhero film that does well than when it does poorly. And even then, their films that have done well (Aquaman) haven't exactly been lauded as cinematic excellence.

Plus everything @seungfloral said. I think people are just past the point of being interested in spending theater prices to go see a B or C or D-list superhero in a film that is going to feel vaguely familiar to the literally dozens of other superhero films that have come out in the past couple decades. But you know, maybe Madame Web will make a billion dollars next month and I'll eat my words on that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: seungfloral
Joined
13 January 2023
Messages
50,582
Reactions Received
55,384
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
285,479
there's too many of them???

superhero movie fatigue

most of the films (especially marvel ones) have gone down hill since endgame
I still watch all of the MCU stuff but there is less of an interest to me and overall
 
  • Like
Reactions: centen
Joined
30 December 2022
Messages
12,454
Reactions Received
9,458
Location
Germany
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
76,968
Gender
Male
Most Marvel heroes lack depth. Christopher Nolan did so much better when he filmed the Dark-Knight-Trilogy, especially 'Batman Begins'. Nolan's Batman isn't the typical American superhero anymore. I didn't watch 'The Batman' yet, but reviewers said it has some depth too.

Another favorite movie with a 'broken hero' (the way I prefer heroes) is 'Logan'. For me it's the best movie in the 'X-Men' franchise.
 
  • Love
Reactions: centen

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread