Why do kpoppies these days stan so many groups? (4 Viewers)

Joined
6 September 2018
Messages
1,873
Reactions Received
6,954
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Genuine question. I got into kpop about 4 years ago and social media was big then but you rarely found a person who stanned more than 5 groups.

Nowadays people, certain fandoms especially, have 2847228 groups listed as their "ults" and favs. What happened fam?

Stream Dalla Dalla
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
We become more diverse taste wise. Not as centric as we used to be-I kind of prefer it this way anyway it seems more unified than it used to be (even though the fanwars give me headaches)
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
“Stan” gets used too loosely now. It’s like if you listen to some of the group’s songs you stan them even when you don’t really follow the actual members
 

kuro

✰ hiatus ✰
.
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
17,115
Reactions Received
56,266
Location
spring days
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
“Stan” gets used too loosely now. It’s like if you listen to some of the group’s songs you stan them even when you don’t really follow the actual members
yeah that's true
which is stupid, stanning is when you follow the group and love them, ult is when you couldn't live without their music
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
“Stan” gets used too loosely now. It’s like if you listen to some of the group’s songs you stan them even when you don’t really follow the actual members
Stan means something different for everyone there isn't a definitive definition for it.
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
The industry is so oversaturated now it only makes sense to Stan more groups.

It's harder to find stans that devote the time and money to dote on their faves like old gen stans used to. I really don't feel like I need to put in so much work to stan groups anymore. "Stan" is kinda meaningless now
2014: I had my solid 2.5 groups
Rn: :pepeslippy:
 
Joined
22 April 2019
Messages
1,118
Reactions Received
2,529
Location
ᶦᵗˢ ᵃ ˢᵉᶜʳᵉᵗ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I started listening to Kpop back in 2006 and I only stan DBSK, Suju & Big Bang, but not there so many different group that catch my interest.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
Stan means something different for everyone there isn't a definitive definition for it.
Ik but I’ve talked to some people who say they stan like 50 groups, and when i started asking about the groups they could barely even name members. Imo that definitely is not stanning
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
stanning multiple groups is why i'm broke lmao
actually it's textbooks
A lot of people are still teens or in early 20's so they don't have the money just to throw away on kpop albums, merch, and concerts so I don't define stanning by what people are buying.

If you are listening to a group's music, like the members, and keeping tabs on them that's enough to define you as a stan, for me. Keeping up with groups isn't that hard anymore because of social media since companies put everything on some platform. Same with music cause you can just add everything to a spotify playlist
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,286
Reactions Received
76,675
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
189,035
Ship
Wreck
Kpop evolved is what happened, more fans got into kpop so the demand for it was bigger and therefore the supply came to be too so now you have more groups than there was before with more shows for them to be on than there was before and more fans for translating to make it even easier to connect with a group.

There is also what @Jimimis said though which ifans seem to use the word stan very loosely so you don't even need to really follow an artist any more you can just like their music and suddenly you're a stan but with no real investment in the group which is really what being a stan is about.
 

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
.
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
3,403
Reactions Received
17,163
Location
Edinburgh, Scotland
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
2,412
Fandom
Reveluv & Uaena
There's a lot of groups/soloists who's music I like and will check out when they release new music. But there's only a small handful of groups who's albums I will buy and keep tabs on their activities such as music show performances, variety show appearances and SNS.
 
Joined
6 September 2018
Messages
1,873
Reactions Received
6,954
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
joined 7 years ago and kpop has changed a lot. I feel like the change was around 2016.
Sameee, in 2016 I felt like a major shift happened. I feel like its most likely due to the fact a lot of the influential 2nd gen groups disbanded this year. It also kinda feels like there was a torch passing this year too y'know?
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and star_lord
Joined
6 September 2018
Messages
1,873
Reactions Received
6,954
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
There’s a lot of different groups that I like. I like their music and I like their personalities and try to learn more about them. That’s why.
That doesnt really explain why tbh. It explains what you like about the 3 billion groups you stan but not why.
 
  • Like
Reactions: lexus

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread