Why is my tooth so weird (1 Viewer)

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,388
Reactions Received
151,400
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Well I guess teeth. I have a deep enough cavity in one of my sides of my tooth (the backmost one on the left not counting the wisdom teeth). I was referred by my dentist to have a root canal done so I can get a crown rather than them attempting to have a filling since it's deep enough. First they did an xray at the root canal place ofc, which is when she showed me the xray and you can visibly see another tooth (my wisdom tooth) growing into the tooth (seemingly), with the 2d image it looks very much like my wisdom tooth was sitting inside the tooth in question. Luckily when we did a 3d xray it showed that that wasn't the case and that I actually have a x shaped tooth (not sure if this is normal, by their reaction I guess no?) so the wisdom tooth is sitting in between the two sides inside the area. Which is why it looks like it's inside on a 2d. Weird enough, but then during the procedure she tells me that I have an extra palatal root, that most people only have one but I have two. It is pretty odd that I have an oddly shaped tooth with an extra root directly next to an impacted wisdom tooth and conveniently sitting right in the area needed to not be injuring my tooth (yet). Not complaining because the extra root isn't a problem, the shape meant that the wisdom tooth isn't an issue (yet), and I discovered this before the wisdom tooth becomes an issue. But not happy about its existence because it's hard to convince myself in good faith that I don't need to schedule a wisdom tooth consultation anymore :irenecrazy:
 
  • Like
Reactions: gone4good

gone4good

.
.
Joined
31 May 2023
Messages
6,437
Reactions Received
9,410
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
23,545
Gender
Female
Ship
Wreck
It's not unusual, honestly. In fact, its rather common :) An endodontist would indeed decide the best course of treatment. If you have yet to experience any serious discomfort, by all means, you could wait. But at some point, your wisdom tooth will become an issue once it lacks a certain amount of afforded room to grow (assuming you're not 30 yet). The end result is what we commonly refer to as an "impacted wisdom tooth" and it may cause infection eventually. At this point, you'll likely require a wisdom tooth removal procedure :( The bone blocking tooth root access will be removed by making an incision in your gum to expose it. In certain cases, the tooth is divided into sections for easier removal (not always). Stitches are usually required to close the wound and promote healing. Keep in mind that sometimes, a preventive action is a better than a cure! :))
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,388
Reactions Received
151,400
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
It's not unusual, honestly. In fact, its rather common :) An endodontist would indeed decide the best course of treatment. If you have yet to experience any serious discomfort, by all means, you could wait. But at some point, your wisdom tooth will become an issue once it lacks a certain amount of afforded room to grow (assuming you're not 30 yet). The end result is what we commonly refer to as an "impacted wisdom tooth" and it may cause infection eventually. At this point, you'll likely require a wisdom tooth removal procedure :( The bone blocking tooth root access will be removed by making an incision in your gum to expose it. In certain cases, the tooth is divided into sections for easier removal (not always). Stitches are usually required to close the wound and promote healing. Keep in mind that sometimes, a preventive action is a better than a cure! :))
The x shaped tooth, two palatal roots, or both? And yeah I figured that while waiting is an option now I probably don't benefit from pushing it off all that much but probably could very possibly be in the worse for doing so, so better to have a consultation now than later. I just don't like needles and slicey things in any situation really. It grosses me out for some reason :coronawimwim:
 
  • Haha
Reactions: gone4good

gone4good

.
.
Joined
31 May 2023
Messages
6,437
Reactions Received
9,410
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
23,545
Gender
Female
Ship
Wreck
The x shaped tooth, two palatal roots, or both? And yeah I figured that while waiting is an option now I probably don't benefit from pushing it off all that much but probably could very possibly be in the worse for doing so, so better to have a consultation now than later. I just don't like needles and slicey things in any situation really. It grosses me out for some reason :coronawimwim:
you won't feel a thing, no worries :) x shaped is not as uncommon, to a certain degree. It is an irregular dental formation of the teeth that may, lead to some oral diseases. keyword=may. Occlusal interferences, aesthetic disturbances, loss of pulp vitality, irritation of tongue during mastication and speech, caries and displacement of the affected tooth, etc...

If the preoperative radiograph suggests two palatal roots for the maxillary molar, it is indeed uncommon. 1% to 2% odds. That being said, your specialist should be mindful of deep carious lesion (occluso-mesially). I'll spare you the details :)) There are some non-surgical procedures available but they may not be as effective! In plain english, its hit and miss!

Bottom line, if you have the means to address these slight issues now, I'd recommend you do. You'll be glad you did in the long run. Good luck! :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,388
Reactions Received
151,400
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
you won't feel a thing, no worries :) x shaped is not as uncommon, to a certain degree. It is an irregular dental formation of the teeth that may, lead to some oral diseases. keyword=may. Occlusal interferences, aesthetic disturbances, loss of pulp vitality, irritation of tongue during mastication and speech, caries and displacement of the affected tooth, etc...

If the preoperative radiograph suggests two palatal roots for the maxillary molar, it is indeed uncommon. 1% to 2% odds. That being said, your specialist should be mindful of deep carious lesion (occluso-mesially). I'll spare you the details :)) There are some non-surgical procedures available but they may not be as effective! In plain english, its hit and miss!

Bottom line, if you have the means to address these slight issues now, I'd recommend you do. You'll be glad you did in the long run. Good luck! :)
I know I won’t feel it but the thought that it happened/will happen just makes me so icky :jisoosmh: Dont know why because it wasn’t an issue as a kid. I was needle and slice immune (in all aspects). Then I grew up ig. For the roots I’m not certain if she picked up on those or even looked at that aspect in the 3D X-ray (maybe she did and I don’t know). It was mentioned during my root canal, her and the assistant talked about it. I know little about dental stuff, if you’ll be back is that something that would be noticed in a root canal rather than X-ray? And does it have health implications, or is it just a little quirk? I’m not certain if you mean it as part of the slight issues or if that means the other stuff. For the wisdom tooth stuff though I’ll definitely call about the consultation, much as I don’t like it (for a few reasons). Just have to work up the courage :dubueh:
 
  • Like
Reactions: gone4good

gone4good

.
.
Joined
31 May 2023
Messages
6,437
Reactions Received
9,410
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
23,545
Gender
Female
Ship
Wreck
I know I won’t feel it but the thought that it happened/will happen just makes me so icky :jisoosmh: Dont know why because it wasn’t an issue as a kid. I was needle and slice immune (in all aspects). Then I grew up ig. For the roots I’m not certain if she picked up on those or even looked at that aspect in the 3D X-ray (maybe she did and I don’t know). It was mentioned during my root canal, her and the assistant talked about it. I know little about dental stuff, if you’ll be back is that something that would be noticed in a root canal rather than X-ray? And does it have health implications, or is it just a little quirk? I’m not certain if you mean it as part of the slight issues or if that means the other stuff. For the wisdom tooth stuff though I’ll definitely call about the consultation, much as I don’t like it (for a few reasons). Just have to work up the courage :dubueh:
Well, I am using the "slight" attribute for the time being, considering no major issues have been raised, such as infection :/
Yes, your wisdom tooth must be cared for. A root canal obviously provides a much better overview but it surely entails a more elaborate approach than a simple radiograph. So to answer your question, for the time being, considering what you told me, it sounds like a "little quirk" ;) But little quirks often mutate to big quirks. If you know what I mean :) Trust your endo and proceed with her recommendations. You'll be glad you did! Now or later! The way I see it, you're already courageous putting up with us in here, day in and day out! lol you can do this gurl!
 
  • Love
Reactions: Ahsoka

dark_tranquility

YOᑌ ᗪIᗪᑎ'T ᗷᗴTᖇᗩY ᗰᗴ, YOᑌ ᗷᗴTᖇᗩYᗴᗪ YOᑌᖇSᗴᒪᖴ
.
.
Joined
10 September 2019
Messages
62,063
Reactions Received
52,511
Location
Europe and Asia
Website
www.ancestry.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
201,093
Fandom
𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Eurasian
I got put to sleep when my root died in my infected tooth
also removed 3 wisdom teeth
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread