[18+?] Tumblr to Ban Adult Content Effective Dec. 17 (1 Viewer)

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship

:pandawatch::pandawatch:
Thots?:pepelook:
I haven't been on Tumblr since I outgrew 30 Seconds to Mars
 

taemkitten

누난 너무 예뻐
.
.
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
2,581
Reactions Received
10,912
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I mentioned on another thread that I thought it was great they were banning the literal porn blogs/bots, because those are obnoxious and run amuck, and I may be a prude in a way but seriously there are so many times I've run across, even with filters on, random ass naked people performing sexual things or porn I just didn't want to see.

HOWEVER.

A lot of their current mass erasing, mass messing up, mass tagging things as NSFW when they're literally harmless and I would literally let my toddler niece look at with no worry is ridiculous. They have so much content to go through, they just...auto-tag so much when it shouldn't be and isn't even adult-oriented.

Instead of finding a way to balance an already mostly-adult-based audience that has always been allowed to post things that are adult in nature, they literally are just slamming down the axe on the entirety of it, without having clear lines of what constitutes simple NSFW and PORN/ADULT-CONTENT.

Where do you draw the line? Do you draw it on literal pornographic images (and in this case, how do you define a piece of fan art or art in general being tasteful and being lewd/pornographic), actual sex acts, or do you draw it on men and women sweaty and having tight clothes, or skin showing on their midriff or thighs or parts of their chest? Do you consider adult content to include rippling abs at a concert that are being flashed, or provocative dances in choreography?

Do you consider adult content to include kissing as well? How much gore and blood counts as adult? If you write the word "sexy" in a tag about an image, will that entire post be removed?

The problem isn't so much the removal of some adult content, but how it's being gone about, and the mass wipe of it. It's quite ridiculous.
 
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
4,371
Reactions Received
11,118
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
330
Fandom
ReVeluv
Gender
Female
I saw this on FB. I haven’t been on Tumblr in a while, but they don’t moderate crap. Didn’t this start with iOS getting rid of the app because of child porn? The reality is porn on tumblr goes unchecked. Tumblr moderates nothing. It makes sense, then, that rather than doing the moderation required to make sure something like child porn isn’t being uploaded and distributed for consumption they just get rid of all porn. (Besides, I have been on the “dark side” of tumblr when I was in my discovery phase. Some of the gif sets and media on tumblr belongs on a porn website unless tumblr starts advertising itself as a porn website, lol.)

I don’t use tumblr and when I did, I followed many blogs that had nothing to do with porn in the first place. Yeah, many people use it for porn, erotic photography, etc., but what I have found is that where one avenue closes, another will open.

I don’t care that they’re banning porn on tumblr. When I do check in to tumblr now, it’s to find fun gifs and meta on anime/manga and sometimes updates re: Kpop. It’s nice to not come across porn when doing so, sorry not sorry.
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
I mentioned on another thread that I thought it was great they were banning the literal porn blogs/bots, because those are obnoxious and run amuck, and I may be a prude in a way but seriously there are so many times I've run across, even with filters on, random ass naked people performing sexual things or porn I just didn't want to see.
I'll admit that I rarely go on Tumblr but I honestly didn't even know they allowed actual porn on their site. I think everyone had come across smutty stories or fanarts but I had never seen adult films

I'm surprised at the route that they are going with this, because this is killing a portion of their demographic if they are moderating everything even slightly "out there". The wise thing to do, in my opinion, was to create another Tumblr specialized in 18+ content to give their users somewhere to migrate to without having them leave
 

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
I can understand actual porn but without a clear idea of how much content will fall under the NSFW blanket, this isn't a good move. However I never visit Tumblr anyway unless I'm searching for gifs sometimes so whatever.

Don't let this touch Reddit btw, it's opened the door to some amazing new NSFW content for me lol.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I already said this on other forum, but while it's great they are finally getting rid of porn bots, they should have allowed nsfw art since this is hitting hard fanartists and they are pretty much people who keep Tumblr up. According new rules it seems like nudity in art is ok which is better, there is lot of nonsexual art with nudity, but still it's restrictive if you can't draw sexual stuff. Lot of fanartists I know are planning to leave, especially since the algorithm and system doesn't work at all and bans stuff like this:
IMG_20181204_083724.png


I hope Tumblr will still fix this new guideline they have.
 
Last edited:

bulletproof

✧ @karina is the eva to my noora ✧
.
.
Joined
2 September 2018
Messages
12,423
Reactions Received
54,952
Location
ARMY base 💕
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
55
Gender
Female
Ship
Bullshit. There’s a difference between porn and NSFW. Probably most tumblr users have a lil bit NSFW content. Tumblr was popular because it gave its users freedom. Now it’s like a pinterest wanna be?
And I didn’t even understand what’s happening. So lots of content is reported even when it s not porn? And then? I will go trough all my posts to find if I need to delete something? No way... I agree with porn content being banned, some are really... too much, but everything that shows some skin?
RIP tumblr, censor everywhere
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
censorship at it‘s finest
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread