a new subgenre of kpop (1 Viewer)

Joined
9 September 2018
Messages
648
Reactions Received
1,472
Location
Earth-51
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Disclaimer: This is entirely subjective, and I know literally nothing about songwriting/production.

Yesterday WJSN came back with the pretty sick As You Wish:

And I noticed something about it. It seemed to follow a trend that I really enjoy. I'll call it melancholic romance bubblepop.
This "genre" is defined by an upbeat tempo, melancholic/wistful instrumentals, romantic/cute lyrics, and emotional vocals, and a general vibe of "desperation" or "longing".
This might be a bit of a stretch but I feel like this trend started last year with Love Bomb. Love Bomb is less bubblepop, but I would say the vocal ad-libs put it in this category for me.

and Oh! My Mistake-one of my favorite kpop songs.

Then this year Fancy, the sad/happy song of the year. In Fancy, the lyrics seem a bit desperate. "Hey you over there! I fancy you! it doesn't matter who likes who first...'cuz I need you!" The vibe is a bit more intense than say LOONA's Around You. Maybe I'm reading into too much (I am), but it seems a bit like twice is trying to get their love interest to notice them. This would explain the "sad" instrumental and impassioned, desperate vocals.

Then Feel Special, which was a bit more overtly "melancholic"-the lyrics reflect it.

and now WJSN. They really did great with the vocals. I think the saying as you wish has a sad air of it's own. Like, "I am doing this to make you happy because I like/love you."
personally I love it! I think part of having crushes and fancying people is melancholic in of itself. I like songs that are happy all the way through as well, but the sad undercurrent makes it more intriguing and more realistic? Maybe? I'm not sure how to explain it.
Sorry if this seems ramble-ly! I just love this new subgenre of melancholic romance bubblepop.
Let me know if there are any other songs that fit this category ,or if you think I'm wrong and dumb, or if there's something actual music theory the explains this whole concept!
 
Last edited:

dark_tranquility

YOᑌ ᗪIᗪᑎ'T ᗷᗴTᖇᗩY ᗰᗴ, YOᑌ ᗷᗴTᖇᗩYᗴᗪ YOᑌᖇSᗴᒪᖴ
.
.
Joined
10 September 2019
Messages
62,057
Reactions Received
52,509
Location
Europe and Asia
Website
www.ancestry.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
201,062
Fandom
𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Eurasian
Interesting sub genre indeed. Especially that description you gave.
I didn't know this existed, but I have called melancholy likeness to some metal bands in retrospect.
Gotta look out for this one.

I need more interesting genres on my phone musically speaking.
 
Joined
9 September 2018
Messages
648
Reactions Received
1,472
Location
Earth-51
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Interesting sub genre indeed. Especially that description you gave.
I didn't know this existed, but I have called melancholy likeness to some metal bands in retrospect.
Gotta look out for this one.

I need more interesting genres on my phone musically speaking.
no it doesn't actually exist lol.
on a sidenote, however, I appreciate your sig and dp. I love the monogatari series.
 

dark_tranquility

YOᑌ ᗪIᗪᑎ'T ᗷᗴTᖇᗩY ᗰᗴ, YOᑌ ᗷᗴTᖇᗩYᗴᗪ YOᑌᖇSᗴᒪᖴ
.
.
Joined
10 September 2019
Messages
62,057
Reactions Received
52,509
Location
Europe and Asia
Website
www.ancestry.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
201,062
Fandom
𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Eurasian
no it doesn't actually exist lol.
on a sidenote, however, I appreciate your sig and dp. I love the monogatari series.
Oh.... how disappointing. Oh well, back to the drawing board then with music for me.
and thanks. I've had it on my back burner for many years and never got around to seeing it.
even though friends have told me I should (argh)
 
Joined
9 September 2018
Messages
648
Reactions Received
1,472
Location
Earth-51
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Oh.... how disappointing. Oh well, back to the drawing board then with music for me.
and thanks. I've had it on my back burner for many years and never got around to seeing it.
even though friends have told me I should (argh)
you should! it's a good anime to watch and it makes you feel like you've watched an "intellectual" anime without being totally confused.
 
Last edited:

dark_tranquility

YOᑌ ᗪIᗪᑎ'T ᗷᗴTᖇᗩY ᗰᗴ, YOᑌ ᗷᗴTᖇᗩYᗴᗪ YOᑌᖇSᗴᒪᖴ
.
.
Joined
10 September 2019
Messages
62,057
Reactions Received
52,509
Location
Europe and Asia
Website
www.ancestry.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
201,062
Fandom
𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Eurasian
you should! it's a good anime to watch and it makes you feel like you've watched an "intellectual" anime without being totally confused.
I don't stream since my net is lag city, so best get it at the shops here, which is like 2 minutes away.
I'll make it a b-day present for myself hmmmm.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
that totally makes sense. I really can see that subgenre
 
Joined
9 September 2018
Messages
648
Reactions Received
1,472
Location
Earth-51
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
that totally makes sense. I really can see that subgenre
glad it makes sense. sometimes things that sound coherent in my head sound wack in real life.
 
Joined
9 September 2018
Messages
648
Reactions Received
1,472
Location
Earth-51
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
totallllll bop it's one of my favourite 3Rd gen songs
it really is. i think one thing that makes it stand out is that isn’t aging. i think a lot of kpop songs sound a bit off after trends run dry, but the song is a timeless bop.
 
Joined
9 September 2018
Messages
648
Reactions Received
1,472
Location
Earth-51
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I disagree slightly, the synth and some of the video elements definitely call to mind a 80' vibe and some of these clothing fits into the 70's 80's but I think it is not.. timeless but fitting across times, because especially since that style came back into trend, but is toned down to be palitable for the modern listsner, it has elements that connect it across the past and the present, its not timeless but it's balanced well enough to fight in to quite a few places, and I'm sure it could hold that for a while into the future as well
yeah you said it much better lol. it has this nostalgic vibe to it that makes it work well
 
  • Like
Reactions: potato

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread