[Album Review] Kill this Love (1 Viewer)

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I haven't really done album reviews before, more just anime impressions and reviews here, but I have digested Kill this Love as title track a bit now as well as other tracks so I think I'm ready to give out more coherent opinion for those who want to listen to it :maheart:And I was also working non-stop last week so I had no time to really get into BP's 2nd mini rather than briefly listen to songs and I feel like I missed lot of discussions cause of that.

Kill this Love Song + Mv



Now my first impression of both mv and song wasn't most positive, which wasn't surprising to me- I first wasn't that into D4 and As it's your last like I'm now so sometimes it just takes time to form proper opinion at least for me. There is songs I instantly love like Whistle, but I feel like Kill this Love is pretty hard song to listen in my opinion since it's really patchwork of different parts musically similarly as SNSD's I Got A Boy that I first couldn't stand and now kinda like in some level.

With more listen it was easy to tell apart the different parts and with songs like this it's usually for me that I love some parts, some are ok and some I don't care about or have intense hate towards. Now luckily I don't intensely hate any parts, but similar with D4 where I thought Jennie's first rap was kinda well unnecessary and stupid.. I mean lame.. I mean not the best- I felt the same with Lisa's rap this time. She says here I come kicking the door and kicks the door- cool, but after that I think the rap falls flat and the ending seems especially off even the pronounciation of the english at the end is just weird. I feel like the flow and maybe even attitude isn't quite there, it's almost but not really.

Jisoo's part following Lisa's was the weirdest thing at first listen and view of the mv. It's visually quite weird too, looks great, but is huge change of scenery again and there is visually just lot to take in. Even listening the song as whole without the mv, the part feels disjointed and somehow makes me uncomfortable. Somehow the part flows better for me when Rose sings it, but maybe it's better connected too to part before it, but it might do with vocals too, I think Jisoo's vocals somehow make it stand out more, but in weirdness if that makes sense xd (I do like Jisoo in following part though after Rose's).

The chorus is kinda let down, kinda good? I first thought it wasn't strong enough and it is kinda bare, but I got more into it when I saw people referring the song as anthem and started to take it more like one myself. So the chant singing and lack of beatdrop makes sense. Not my favorite BP chorus, but goes.

Now to things I like. My favorite parts for sure are Jennie x Lisa double trouble combo, single favorite thing for me in the mv is that shoulder bump at the end of their joint part. The whole part is in English which is not always best with kpop songs, and the lyrics aren't most impressive stuff but good enough and this part has most attitude I love it. I feel like this scene is the rap combo we never knew we wanted, but finally got.

Another part both musically and visually is Rose's car scene. Rose's vocals really fit there, her tone is stand out and she delivers emotions well in both her vocal and acting performance. The idea of running yourself over a car to kill part of you that is in love with wrong person is clever af.

I quite like the ending part with military marching band vibes. Rose is stand out in this part too and I think this part is definitely high light of the choreo.

Now bit on scenes and looks through the mv. I think everything in mv looks amazing and I with lyrics I get how it connects to song too, but I would still like visually and style vise more coherent mv. I know YG can do amazing mv's that have different outfits and looks, but still keeping the scenery and style of mv same. Great example on this is Stay for example, same style and scenery through the mv, another is 2NE1's I Love You for example. I felt they could have run with some themes more clearly instead of having mashup of everything. For example they had Tomb Raider look, british punk and marching band look all in the same mv. Not only that they had whatever the concept in first scene was and the bear trap looks that didn't even fit together really. So.. more direction thanks or maybe more restrict and saving some ideas and looks for future mvs.


Verdict: Disjointed both musically and visually, but despite it, it still has multiple parts to get excited over. Great for anthem and visually stunning. 8/10

Don't Know what to Do



First impression: Thank god this song is easy to listen, my ears and (brain) can finally rest.

I think this song is quite easy to like. Some might think it's boring and to be honest it might not become one of my favs either, but it's quite perfect after Kill this love (though it's bit ironic lyrics wise, I guess they still couldn't kill that love). I also love that Lisa had some singing parts, you girl snatch those vocal parts! I think this is really good song to show case everyone's vocals too, there is not as much effects and gimmicks than in some BP songs. I don't quite know if this deserves second title status as song, but for bside I think it would be perfect.


Final verdict: It's simply good breather song and bside that maybe shouldn't be second title 8,5/10

Kick it



First impression: The name sounds bad-ass and I really love this start.. wait a minute.. wtf??

Basically the song has lot of potential, but it's very frustrating to listen to. It doesn't go where you would want it. The backtrack is great and vocal performance and raps are good too. But for some reason the track slows down every time there is build up and you expect shit to go down. Biggest problems for me are Jennie's and Lisa's lines starting with "Can I kick it" after Rose's and Jisoo's built up bridge. Like there is kinda drop, I mean strong bass at least, but it's just so slow there and the energy is so low.

I feel like this one has the cringiest English in BP song to this date. I mean I actually loved the humor of "Bitch, I'm a star no Patrick", so I don't think I'm too picky with English in kpop songs. But like I'm not used to this with YG. 3 members of Blackpink are native to almost-native speakers and I think Teddy was involved in this song too and he's korean-american. I like the flow with Lisa's rap in this one, but can't really take the lyrics. The chanting in English is such bizarre thing in this song and not only cause of lyrics.

That makes it sound like I don't like this song. But I actually do or I think I do? In good parts so practically everything I didn't mention the backtrack is great, it's more coherent than Kill this love, but not as predictable as Don't know what to do. Even without some weird parts, the song would be different enough to be 2nd title song for me. I think the song would just need more exciting chorus and Jennie's and Lisa's "Can I kick it" should replace the weird chant part. Lisa's rap would need some lyrical rap too many kick puns in couple lines.


Final verdict: Great song that is different enough, but still coherent and likeable- that suffers some weirdom that could been easily fixed. But alas, it won't be fixed since it's already released. Still can't help, but kinda like it. wtf teddy/10

Hope Not



Compared to Don't know what to do, this is even more ballad like and vocal focused. Lisa sings even more! Song is quite beatless and is bit hard to compare to others since it's pretty much only lyrics with some distorted guitar going through same thing over and over again. Showcases BP's tones and gives space for members that don't sing that much to show their vocals too. But for someone who is less into ballads, it kinda doesn't go to anywhere.


Final verdict: Bareboned ballad that showcases BP's tones and singing, needs certain mood and appreciation of girls tones to fully appreciate. 7,5/10

Ddududududud remix



First impression: What's the point of remix of this. I think this was everyone's first impression and might be their final verdict too.

However, I actually have find lately appreciation towards remixes, all that bass boosted, trap remixes, drum&bass etc. stuff. The fuckery that is going on with this one reminds me of that, one of fanremixes that I would listen on my own time. Not cause it's better version than the actual song necessarily, but cause it's fresh and bass hits harder and it's maybe more exciting and busy mix. I even like the trashy dumb stuff after first chorus.


Final Verdict: What is the point with inferior ver.. unless you are into dumb and unnecessary remixes and bas boosts like I am. mix-fuckery/10
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread