COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

TV Alice in Borderland | Season 2 Discussion (1 Viewer)

centen

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Neverland
Pronouns
she/her
Have you finished watching? What did you think?

I'm on my second rewatch. My book store is going to get the first half of the manga in for me (since that's all that's translated so far), which covers season 1.

So let's talk more AiB!:pikahappy:

centen

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Neverland
Pronouns
she/her
Yesterday, I was able to get a new 2023 wall calendar for Squid Game, but they didn't have any for Alice in Borderland. :bigcatcry:

But let's watch more of it this weekend~

I really like that season 2 has tons of action packed scenes like the above, but it also has space to trust its viewers to put together the surroundings, the acting, the context, and piece together what's happening without needing a character to blatantly tell you. I know that the "downtime" isn't super popular from some of the comments I've seen, but tbh, it's probably one of my favorite things about the show.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
uaemidzybullet
Pronouns
She/Her
About the queen of spades, man I would have liked her to go after Usagi instead. like I know she wanted to choose Arisu for the mental gymnastics but from a technical point of view Usagi is just more useful in spades games

centen

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Neverland
Pronouns
she/her
About the queen of spades, man I would have liked her to go after Usagi instead. like I know she wanted to choose Arisu for the mental gymnastics but from a technical point of view Usagi is just more useful in spades games
I think she was jealous~ That's really the only reason she could possibly have to keep everyone but Usagi.

Kind of makes you wonder what kind of person the Queen of Spades was before she became a citizen. She strikes me as the girl that's always causing drama over her boyfriend.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Blink
I watched and now I understand why you have this profile photo my friend :sippinthetea:
I loved the season 1 and the major part of season because it involved a lot of misteries, mind games and the GOAT Chishiya :junweary:
Tho' I wasn't a fan of the end cuz it fall down the whole hype imo :taesquish:

centen

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Neverland
Pronouns
she/her
I watched and now I understand why you have this profile photo my friend :sippinthetea:
I loved the season 1 and the major part of season because it involved a lot of misteries, mind games and the GOAT Chishiya :junweary:
Tho' I wasn't a fan of the end cuz it fall down the whole hype imo :taesquish:
Yes! I'm glad you mostly liked it. I understand the Queen of Hearts isn't for everyone, though I liked that it preyed on Arisu's insecurities; so even though he's normally better at those type of games, he was also uniquely vulnerable this time. I feel like An or Chishiya would have had an easier time of it.

But there was lots of badass moments from An, Chishiya, and Kuina, so hopefully you didn't mind season 2 too much! The King of Spades successfully freaked me tf out every time, lol.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Blink
Yes! I'm glad you mostly liked it. I understand the Queen of Hearts isn't for everyone, though I liked that it preyed on Arisu's insecurities; so even though he's normally better at those type of games, he was also uniquely vulnerable this time. I feel like An or Chishiya would have had an easier time of it.

But there was lots of badass moments from An, Chishiya, and Kuina, so hopefully you didn't mind season 2 too much! The King of Spades successfully freaked me tf out every time, lol.
The queen of hearts game was okay. It was more likely the comet stuffthat I didn't like.

King of Spades wasn't my cup of tea since they didn't explain the game and that the guy was a machine who resisted to backstabbing, a bomb, a car and multiple shot. I guess it would be okay to have a character like that in the manga but imo it didn't translate that well in the serie.

The previous games were more interesting such as the King of clubs, King of Diamond (good surprise) and Jack of Heart (amazing mind game).

centen

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Neverland
Pronouns
she/her
The queen of hearts game was okay. It was more likely the comet stuffthat I didn't like.

King of Spades wasn't my cup of tea since they didn't explain the game and that the guy was a machine who resisted to backstabbing, a bomb, a car and multiple shot. I guess it would be okay to have a character like that in the manga but imo it didn't translate that well in the serie.

The previous games were more interesting such as the King of clubs, King of Diamond (good surprise) and Jack of Heart (amazing mind game).
I can see that! I think the idea is that the Borderland is a place where you're on the verge of life or death and your actions determine how things go. But I'll let you know if it's different once I finish the manga! From what I've read, though, the series cuts pretty closely to the original.

Yes, I think the face cards lived up on the whole! Everything I've learned from mystery stories is that I am lousy at deducing; I would totally die at the Jack of Hearts. I completely got bamboozled by the cute girl. I enjoyed seeing Chishiya backed into a corner and worming his way out; his luck stat must be insane. xD

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Blink
I can see that! I think the idea is that the Borderland is a place where you're on the verge of life or death and your actions determine how things go. But I'll let you know if it's different once I finish the manga! From what I've read, though, the series cuts pretty closely to the original.

Yes, I think the face cards lived up on the whole! Everything I've learned from mystery stories is that I am lousy at deducing; I would totally die at the Jack of Hearts. I completely got bamboozled by the cute girl. I enjoyed seeing Chishiya backed into a corner and worming his way out; his luck stat must be insane. xD
To me the Borderland is the purgatory so I kinda agree with your view but let me know when you finish the manga.

I admit Chishiya is pretty damn luck but that's what makes his charm :jenniesmug:
I totally fanboyed him during the 2nd season and I was glad to see some evolution from him.

About the games, it would be the same for me, tbh I'm not gonna survive the first game :lisalaugh:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Harunator
I wasn't the biggest fan of the ending, but really enjoyed the series.

Chishiya and Kuina :pandalove: :pandalove:

Moguri

💗 magical cat 💗
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Once
Pronouns
feline
Ship
Wreck
I finished watching it yesterday and for me season 2 was kind of a mixed bag

SPOILERES AHEAD

While I really enjoyed the first half of the season (king of clubs game was my favorite, but also jack of hearts game was great). I felt like they took a lot more time for those 2 games, compared to the later ones. I'm not sure what happend in the second half, maybe it was ininitially planned to have 3 season and then they noticed they ran out of time and most of the games got cut short?

The King of Diamonds game (with the lawyer) started really fun, but its one of those where I wish they had spend more time on it to see how the players try to outwit each other. Also I was not a fan how it ended, it felt weird for Chishiya to just give up like that and having the king of diamonds decide his fate.

For Queen of spades I mainly disliked the game itself. It just felt like for most of the players the stakes are really low as they would not really care in which team they end up in, as long as its the winning one. Also it was extremly inconsistent, at the beginnin the Queen of Spades was like a super manace protecting all their players on the entire field and not a single of her guys could be taken until the last 2-3 rounds, where she suddenly lost everyone and could not do anything anymore.:idkwhattonamethis:

I was also really dissapionted, that Kuina got pretty much written out of the series after the King of Club game.. she still showed up from time to time, but even the few games we got to see from her where montages at best :we_kpopsourcing: She was my favorite character and I thought she's really fun, wished she could also have gotten a full game where she is the main character :sadcat: I can imagine she would have done really well in the queen of spades game and could have made it more interesting, if she stayed with the group or is she had parcipated instead of Arisu and Usagi.

I also think Queen of hearts game was rather fun, probably my favorite in the second half of the season. The actress did a really great job imo! Heart games were always the best in general, as they would mess with minds of the contestants.

But yeah I also really really disliked the ending, I find there are 2 really lazy and annoying ways how you could end a series:
  • A meteroid / bomb hits and kills everyone
  • It was all just a dream
They kind of managed to combine both:soob:

I would have preferred any explanation the queen of hearts offered over the real ending.

Regarding the King of Spades... yeah I fully agree here. Addtionally I thought its so confusing how he started to strip down at the end, why did he throw away his armor and stuff?? When he finally got blown up, I fully expected him to raise from the fire like a Terminator and keep on fighting.. it would have honestly all made a lot more sense if he was a Terminator actually!

I was really confused they tried to make us feel bad for him all of a sudden when he was dying, I did not understand his final scence with Aguni at all or what relation they had, but that character had killed an unbelievable amount of people (I would be hard pressed to name anyone from another series / movie with so many ruthless onscreen kills), so this felt really unnecessary to me and I did not want to emphasize with him.:nekopout:

I think you are right that borderlands referres to this realm between life and death. I would be very surprised if its different as the ending at least makes a lot of sense in relation to the series title: Alice (Arisu) in Borderland

The cute girl was the only kind of bad part for me in the jack of hearts game. I thought her plan to form this group was so cool and I was really curious to see how the jack of heart could overcome this great strategy, but then she just ruined it herself by backstabbing everyone for no reason :pandanoreaction:

What do you guys think regrading the joker card at the end? I think they're just teasing... but it would be cool if the ending was just a troll and they had a real ending in store where everything gets explained :passcodea:

centen

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Neverland
Pronouns
she/her
What do you guys think regrading the joker card at the end? I think they're just teasing... but it would be cool if the ending was just a troll and they had a real ending in store where everything gets explained :passcodea:
From everything I've seen, the show cuts pretty close to the manga, and from what I recall of reading the second half of the manga, there are actually fewer shown games in the second half of the series of the manga. The Netflix show added a lot to add to more opportunities for characters other than Arisu to shine.

And regarding the Queen of Spades, I actually thought it was really clever.
If you're out for just yourself, then you'd be so scared by the Queen of Spades' power that you'd be willing to screw everyone else over to end up on her team. And by doing so, you're screwing yourself over, because you are allowing your moment of fear to condemn you to a life of being trapped in that one specific game.
But I know my love for the series is greater than basically everyone else on the forum, lol. The death game trope is my favorite trope.

Regarding the joker, it's almost certainly a set-up to the spin-off that the mangaka wrote after the first season did so well. It would involve:
Arisu returning to Borderland. We'd also see what happens to the people who chose to stay behind in the first round of the games.
I think "what is this world" is deliberately left up for interpretation, which I like because I like stories that linger and give you something to chew on. I doubt what it is will ever be explicitly answered. Is it the brain trying to deal with the trauma of what just happened? Is it a second chance? Is it a time warp? Who knows.

Also sorry about the spoilers... I don't remember how I made them fuzzy in my original posts so they would stay with the content they're for.:pepecry2:

Moguri

💗 magical cat 💗
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Once
Pronouns
feline
Ship
Wreck
From everything I've seen, the show cuts pretty close to the manga, and from what I recall of reading the second half of the manga, there are actually fewer shown games in the second half of the series of the manga. The Netflix show added a lot to add to more opportunities for characters other than Arisu to shine.

And regarding the Queen of Spades, I actually thought it was really clever.
If you're out for just yourself, then you'd be so scared by the Queen of Spades' power that you'd be willing to screw everyone else over to end up on her team. And by doing so, you're screwing yourself over, because you are allowing your moment of fear to condemn you to a life of being trapped in that one specific game.
But I know my love for the series is greater than basically everyone else on the forum, lol. The death game trope is my favorite trope.

Regarding the joker, it's almost certainly a set-up to the spin-off that the mangaka wrote after the first season did so well. It would involve:
Arisu returning to Borderland. We'd also see what happens to the people who chose to stay behind in the first round of the games.
I think "what is this world" is deliberately left up for interpretation, which I like because I like stories that linger and give you something to chew on. I doubt what it is will ever be explicitly answered. Is it the brain trying to deal with the trauma of what just happened? Is it a second chance? Is it a time warp? Who knows.

Also sorry about the spoilers... I don't remember how I made them fuzzy in my original posts so they would stay with the content they're for.:pepecry2:
But being trapped in a game of tag, does not seem so terrible compared to everything else that is going on in that world :bigsmile:

What the people who join her team should really think about is, what happend to the rest, if she starts out with only 3 addtional players:passcodea:

I see, so the spin off already exists? But if its possible to return, it kind of ruins the explanation with it being that world between life and death.. or will Arisu have another such experience :jisoosmh:

The series gave us not many characters that stayed behind though, we only know of the 2 guys from the jack of hearts game??

Use "inline-spoiler" instead of spoiler :icgyu:

centen

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Neverland
Pronouns
she/her
But being trapped in a game of tag, does not seem so terrible compared to everything else that is going on in that world :bigsmile:

What the people who join her team should really think about is, what happend to the rest, if she starts out with only 3 addtional players:passcodea:

I see, so the spin off already exists? But if its possible to return, it kind of ruins the explanation with it being that world between life and death.. or will Arisu have another such experience :jisoosmh:

The series gave us not many characters that stayed behind though, we only know of the 2 guys from the jack of hearts game??

Use "inline-spoiler" instead of spoiler :icgyu:
Right?! I think some of them had just gotten tired, which to be fair, if it was me, I might also have an "eff it, at least I'm reasonably safe here for a while" reaction too. It's just not smart when thinking about what that actually looks like over the long-run.

I haven't actually read the spin-off yet, I just know it was created and the very broad strokes of the story. I missed when it came out because I thought the series was done, so it's a PITA to find fan translations of now. At the rate they're translating the manga, we'll have official versions in English next year at the earliest. :pepecry1: I am kind of interested to see what shenanigans the serial killer and asshole lawyer would get up to as citizens. I feel like they would make for some very intriguing games.

Oh, and I just remembered, there was another, earlier spin-off. But tbh, I forgot about it, because it's got a completely different cast of characters and it's not a death game, called "Alice on Border Road." It follows a cast of 12 characters who end up in a post-apocalyptic Japan, and then decide to walk together toward Tokyo, like a survival road trip basically. IIRC, it was not super well-received by the fandom, since it attempts to explain the Borderlands at the end of the run and ends up rushing the ending and creating inconsistencies. But I suppose the Joker card could be a tease to that one instead. Certainly, Netflix could fix or just not introduce the problems that existed with this one.

Thank you for the tip, it worked!

Moguri

💗 magical cat 💗
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Once
Pronouns
feline
Ship
Wreck
Right?! I think some of them had just gotten tired, which to be fair, if it was me, I might also have an "eff it, at least I'm reasonably safe here for a while" reaction too. It's just not smart when thinking about what that actually looks like over the long-run.

I haven't actually read the spin-off yet, I just know it was created and the very broad strokes of the story. I missed when it came out because I thought the series was done, so it's a PITA to find fan translations of now. At the rate they're translating the manga, we'll have official versions in English next year at the earliest. :pepecry1: I am kind of interested to see what shenanigans the serial killer and asshole lawyer would get up to as citizens. I feel like they would make for some very intriguing games.

Oh, and I just remembered, there was another, earlier spin-off. But tbh, I forgot about it, because it's got a completely different cast of characters and it's not a death game, called "Alice on Border Road." It follows a cast of 12 characters who end up in a post-apocalyptic Japan, and then decide to walk together toward Tokyo, like a survival road trip basically. IIRC, it was not super well-received by the fandom, since it attempts to explain the Borderlands at the end of the run and ends up rushing the ending and creating inconsistencies. But I suppose the Joker card could be a tease to that one instead. Certainly, Netflix could fix or just not introduce the problems that existed with this one.

Thank you for the tip, it worked!
Just remember that the king of spades is roaming outside and can rip you to shreds any moment or that most games are really unfair and deadly, I think that helps to overcome long term concerns :dubueh:

Maybe someone could translate the spin off independently if there is a big interest in it. I'm a bit surprised a popular series is getting such slow translations :passcodea:

Sure its interesting what they would do, but would they really be the only ones then? The world would feel so incredibly empty compared to how it was before :joysip:

Oh interesting that there is another spin off too... the base story sounds not too bad.. lets see what and if nteflix decides to do anything. But whatever they do, I hope its not something rushed :sanapray:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread