Am I Being Stupid? (1 Viewer)

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
Background: So to give some background. I have Celiac Disease and it's essentially an overactive immune system because my body attacks itself when I ingest anything containing or that has come into contact with gluten. During this time I am the COMPLETE opposite of someone with a suppressed immune system. My mom seems to have the opposite understanding of this and thought I had a suppressed immune system. I kept arguing with her about it to make her understand and to prove my point a month or so later I got a sinus infection that started as a cold. My boyfriend and I assumed it was just a simple cold-then he got it from me and it turned into pharyngitis.

His immune system is weaker than mine and that is why when he caught my simple sinus infection it was something MUCH worse for him. So during this time where everyone is nervous about the Corona virus-the work he and I do is considered essential for whatever reason. So I was forced to come into work (not technically our bosses gave us permission to take leave if we were uncomfortable).

But basically the only reason I was working is that my parents-specifically my mom would flip her shit if she knew I was taking off of work by choice. To prove this, I got a cold sometime around the start of this pandemic and I was incredibly nervous about it because of my history with getting other people INCREDIBLY ill when I get something simple. So I called into work to tell them I was ill, they asked me if I wanted a week to recover or two and I said two just in case. I basically had a reoccurring headache every single fucking day during this time and on and off sore throats. I was resting most of the time.

I told my mother I was off work for two weeks to recover and she was immediately angry and a bit bitter asking "Why?" even though she knew I was sick. This is kind of a recurring thing with her. And once those two weeks were up, I was back at work getting nervous every single day of getting someone ill or contracting Corona. My mother doesn't seem to care, and my dad has no opinion. She genuinely doesn't give a fuck and as far as I know, she still believes I have a suppressed immune system so it makes no sense for her to care so little for my health.

The Dilemma: My boyfriend seems to be the only one who actually gives a shit about my health. Like he's shown it several times through his actions and words and I'm incredibly grateful to him. So the problem is I lied to my parents-I told them I got laid off so I could stay safe at home or control my quarantining at least. My mom seems to believe it but it's like she keeps wishing I'd go back. She drove past my work the other day and saw a couple of cars and was like, "It looks like business is picking back up there-have you heard anything from work?"

The reason I mention my boyfriend is that he was the one kind of explaining why it's dangerous for me to constantly come into work and why it's also dangerous for him to come in-he was planning on taking leave and he wasn't trying to convince me to do the same because he knew I wouldn't given my situation. I was terrified of lying to my parents or telling them the truth because I knew they'd be awful about it. But he made many valid points when we would talk about it and I KNEW he actually cared the most about me. So I took leave, and lied to my parents about it saying I was laid off.

So am I in the wrong? Am I being stupid? Or was it the right choice?
 

Marianthi

#1 2PM Stan
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
1,170
Reactions Received
4,498
Location
Greece
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I don't think that you are wrong. You could get Coronavirus and even if you don't get symptoms etc others might get really sick. Isn't there a way to work from home? This could help you with your worries and keep others safe in case you get a cold or something
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
I don't think that you are wrong. You could get Coronavirus and even if you don't get symptoms etc others might get really sick. Isn't there a way to work from home? This could help you with your worries and keep others safe in case you get a cold or something
Sadly, my job is a physical one and can't be done online or from home.
 

Marianthi

#1 2PM Stan
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
1,170
Reactions Received
4,498
Location
Greece
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Sadly, my job is a physical one and can't be done online or from home.
Hmm that does complicate things a lot :/
Idk imo you should take care of your health and of others' health. It doesn't really matter if your mom argues with you about it. It involves your health. This should be first
 
Joined
14 April 2020
Messages
1,013
Reactions Received
1,693
Location
Ga Atlanta
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ur boyfriend is really supported i hope u and him stay safe
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
Hmm that does complicate things a lot :/
Idk imo you should take care of your health and of others' health. It doesn't really matter if your mom argues with you about it. It involves your health. This should be first
Yeah of course the main worry is that if I get it-it's because it's a strong strain. And if that passes on to others it could be INCREDIBLY bad. So safety is the most important I just feel guilty like if my mom finds out she'll skin me alive but she really doesn't seem to give a fuck about me.
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck

Marianthi

#1 2PM Stan
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
1,170
Reactions Received
4,498
Location
Greece
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Yeah of course the main worry is that if I get it-it's because it's a strong strain. And if that passes on to others it could be INCREDIBLY bad. So safety is the most important I just feel guilty like if my mom finds out she'll skin me alive but she really doesn't seem to give a fuck about me.
health is important hun. I can't see how she can't understand it :/ Sorry you're in that spot. Hope she'll get to understand it at some point
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
health is important hun. I can't see how she can't understand it :/ Sorry you're in that spot. Hope she'll get to understand it at some point
Thanks its appreciated!
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
you definitely did the right thing. glad your boyfriend is supportive and caring towards you.
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
Joined
26 August 2018
Messages
0
Reactions Received
31,963
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
It was definitely the right choice. Sorry to say this, but it seems that your Mom doesn't listen to you at all and won't accept a different outcome than hers. If you are struggling with money, I guess that's understandable, but health comes before everything else. If your doctor says you have Celiac, then she cannot contradict that at all. I don't know the nature of you guys' relationship, but I would've confronted my Mom and told her that I'm taking off of work to make things better, not worse. If yours cannot be rationalized that way, I don't think you're in the wrong.
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
It was definitely the right choice. Sorry to say this, but it seems that your Mom doesn't listen to you at all and won't accept a different outcome than hers. If you are struggling with money, I guess that's understandable, but health comes before everything else. If your doctor says you have Celiac, then she cannot contradict that at all. I don't know the nature of you guys' relationship, but I would've confronted my Mom and told her that I'm taking off of work to make things better, not worse. If yours cannot be rationalized that way, I don't think you're in the wrong.
Thank you! And thankfully I am good with my money and have saved a decent amount and am not struggling financially. I don't NEED the money nor the work. If anything taking time off helps people work with more because I'm not taking hours away from those who NEED them. As well as keeping them safe health-wise too.

Yeah my mom is stubborn and accepts nothing less than working when i can.
 
Joined
26 August 2018
Messages
0
Reactions Received
31,963
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Thank you! And thankfully I am good with my money and have saved a decent amount and am not struggling financially. I don't NEED the money nor the work. If anything taking time off helps people work with more because I'm not taking hours away from those who NEED them. As well as keeping them safe health-wise too.

Yeah my mom is stubborn and accepts nothing less than working when i can.
Then you definitely made a good choice in my opinion. Not sure how you'll explain coming back to work, though.
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
Then you definitely made a good choice in my opinion. Not sure how you'll explain coming back to work, though.
Yeah, I haven't figured that one out myself.
 

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Props to your boyfriend. I'm going to have to side with him as well. Often parents like to have such a significant role in your life that they feel as if their decision is final, even with grown adults. If it doesn't go that way, they seem upset. Like Marko mentioned, I'm not sure what kind of relationship you and your mother seem to have, but regardless, this isn't okay. Your health is far more important than money. Your job is important, yes, but considering your condition, the coronavirus, and the fact that you are ill, it would be much better not to go to work. I don't find that you are being stupid at all, anyone would be frustrated and annoyed in this situation.

And tbh, on behalf of society, I want to thank you for not going to work despite the pressure to, because that's where the problem starts. People start going out despite being sick, get affected/ affect someone else, thus the spread of the virus. We really need people to start staying in once they're ill.
 
Last edited:

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
Props to your boyfriend. I'm going to have to side with him as well. Often parents like to have such a significant role in your life that they feel as if their decision is final, even with grown adults. If it doesn't go that way, they seem upset. Like Marko mentioned, I'm not sure what kind of relationship you and your mother seem to have, but regardless, this isn't okay. Your health is far more important than money. Your job is important, yes, but considering your condition, the coronavirus, and the fact that you are ill, it would be much better not to go to work. I don't find that you are being stupid at all, anyone would be frustrated and annoyed in this situation.
Yeah oddly enough my mom and I are close but she thinks I do things because they are the easy way out and refuses to let me do those things but in this case the easy thing is something kind of important.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Mayday

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Yeah oddly enough my mom and I are close but she thinks I do things because they are the easy way out and refuses to let me do those things but in this case the easy thing is something kind of important.
Yeah, my parents are the same way. They seem to have their own idea of what I'm going to do before I do, even when it's highly inaccurate. This thing is extremely important, and especially considering the fact that you have Celiac, it's even MORE important.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lovely_Cornchips

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread