- Joined
- 4 December 2018
- Messages
- 3,200
- Reactions Received
- 11,455
- Location
- USA
- Website
- emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
- Cards
- View Profile
- KS Coins
- 205
- Fandom
- Once, Sone
- Gender
- Male
Anyone Ever Taught English In South Korea (Or Elsewhere)?
So I'd heard of kids (often recent college grads) moving abroad for employment as English Language teachers in South Korea. I had a peer from college who I believe actually went to South Korea and pursued such a program right after he graduated, but I wasn't really close with him so I never got his experience at it.
But I'm sort of at a point in my life where I've taken an interest in possibly pursuing this.
Perhaps I'm not the stereotypical candidate as I at least hear this is a common thing for "young" people.
But I'm at a point in my life that this seems attractive to me.
I'm 30. Have a bachelor's degree in Finance and and bachelor's degree in Accounting. And I'm currently working for a law firm as a case manager.
By all appearances I should be set on a more established career path.
But I just don't feel passion at this time for my field. It doesn't motivate me and I ultimately feel like I'm spinning my wheels without direction. Without that I feel a lack of motivation to do tbe whole established career line and hit the whole family thing in fell measure.
Perhaps it stems from me being a writer and creative type that somehow convinced myself a career in business or the legal realm was a better long term option. I sort of defaulted to it because my father is a trial attorney and judge.
But that doesn't get me up in the morning. It doesn't make me happy and that seems to be key to lead a fulfilling life (or so I've heard).
Enter this possibility of teaching English in South Korea.
I know it perhaps seems like a career dive waiting to happen. But the more I search about it and read up on others' experiences. The more it seems an intriguing opportunity.
I have an obvious long term passion for Korean pop, Korean television and Korean culture in general.
And I like working with kids.
Although I have no formal teaching experience, I've had numerous leadership experience in managerial and overseeing roles.
I'm planning on researching this more and exploring the possibility.
I'm cautious by nature so I don't usually rush into anything without proper planning and forethought.
But I wanted to get intial thoughts from any of you who have done this or know others who have done it.
Sort of put feelers out for tips or takes.
Thoughts?
Random tags.
@igloo @BritishLuvie @DrewB
So I'd heard of kids (often recent college grads) moving abroad for employment as English Language teachers in South Korea. I had a peer from college who I believe actually went to South Korea and pursued such a program right after he graduated, but I wasn't really close with him so I never got his experience at it.
But I'm sort of at a point in my life where I've taken an interest in possibly pursuing this.
Perhaps I'm not the stereotypical candidate as I at least hear this is a common thing for "young" people.
But I'm at a point in my life that this seems attractive to me.
I'm 30. Have a bachelor's degree in Finance and and bachelor's degree in Accounting. And I'm currently working for a law firm as a case manager.
By all appearances I should be set on a more established career path.
But I just don't feel passion at this time for my field. It doesn't motivate me and I ultimately feel like I'm spinning my wheels without direction. Without that I feel a lack of motivation to do tbe whole established career line and hit the whole family thing in fell measure.
Perhaps it stems from me being a writer and creative type that somehow convinced myself a career in business or the legal realm was a better long term option. I sort of defaulted to it because my father is a trial attorney and judge.
But that doesn't get me up in the morning. It doesn't make me happy and that seems to be key to lead a fulfilling life (or so I've heard).
Enter this possibility of teaching English in South Korea.
I know it perhaps seems like a career dive waiting to happen. But the more I search about it and read up on others' experiences. The more it seems an intriguing opportunity.
I have an obvious long term passion for Korean pop, Korean television and Korean culture in general.
And I like working with kids.
Although I have no formal teaching experience, I've had numerous leadership experience in managerial and overseeing roles.
I'm planning on researching this more and exploring the possibility.
I'm cautious by nature so I don't usually rush into anything without proper planning and forethought.
But I wanted to get intial thoughts from any of you who have done this or know others who have done it.
Sort of put feelers out for tips or takes.
Thoughts?
Random tags.
@igloo @BritishLuvie @DrewB
Last edited: