are serial killers born or made? (1 Viewer)

dark_tranquility

YOᑌ ᗪIᗪᑎ'T ᗷᗴTᖇᗩY ᗰᗴ, YOᑌ ᗷᗴTᖇᗩYᗴᗪ YOᑌᖇSᗴᒪᖴ
.
.
Joined
10 September 2019
Messages
62,057
Reactions Received
52,508
Location
Europe and Asia
Website
www.ancestry.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
201,062
Fandom
𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Eurasian
I think they are made. From environmental, social factors upbringing and so forth.
I don't think anyone is born evil or a serial killer from birth.

it takes a lot to make someone do the wrong thing on that level.

I watched docos about Ted "Theodore" Bundy and John Wayne Gacy and they were interesting.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
ok now we get to talking about the intresting things in life.
I am a fan of true crime and I for sure read up on a ton od seriel killers and killers i general. so that's about the background of my opinion.

I always think that it depends on case to case. some people for sure are born that way and are naturaly evil in a way. others are made into a killer or a serial killer due to circumstances, due to messed up things in their families and so much more.

Just a random fact about Jeffrey Dahmer: Dahmer has been described as being a rather energetic and happy child until he notably changed after undergoing a double hernia surgery, which was performed shortly before his fourth birthday. Mixed with his family situation when he grew up and his alcoholism since he was young, he never had a chance in my opinion.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I think they are made. From environmental, social factors upbringing and so forth.
I don't think anyone is born evil or a serial killer from birth.

it takes a lot to make someone do the wrong thing on that level.

I watched docos about Ted "Theodore" Bundy and John Wayne Gacy and they were interesting.
it comes down to psychopath vs sociopath. obviously not everyone with a ASPD or APD turns out to be a seriel killer or will kill in general. it for sure comes down to a mix of things like you said.
 
Joined
15 March 2019
Messages
1,777
Reactions Received
6,501
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
11
Gender
Male
Some people are born with anger issues and disabilities which can make it more likely to be a serial killer..

However i believe that everything that is developed from you is depending on your upbringing influence and surroundings.

We are born with freewill we can all decide to kill or not so if you look at it like that we are all born as potential serial killers some simply choose to act on it. For whatever reason. But nobody is a serial killer for no reason there is always a psychological reason behind the behavior and these are ideas that they've developed.. because a baby is literally born only wanting milk and cuddles. So these thoughts and desires are developed. In a literal sense they are. The imperfections of maybe anger issues or anti social things like that are what we are all born with ..some with terrible anger still wouldnt be a serial killer. And maybe soneone who doesnt have anger will be one.

So yeah for me they're made.

I dont believe anyone is destined to be something when they're born, because we have the gift of free will to choose what we want.

Edit - i also dont believe anyone is born good either. Might i add.
 
Last edited:

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
.
Joined
22 May 2019
Messages
5,913
Reactions Received
28,273
Location
Under the Earth
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Moa
Ship
ok now we get to talking about the intresting things in life.
I am a fan of true crime and I for sure read up on a ton od seriel killers and killers i general. so that's about the background of my opinion.

I always think that it depends on case to case. some people for sure are born that way and are naturaly evil in a way. others are made into a killer or a serial killer due to circumstances, due to messed up things in their families and so much more.

Just a random fact about Jeffrey Dahmer: Dahmer has been described as being a rather energetic and happy child until he notably changed after undergoing a double hernia surgery, which was performed shortly before his fourth birthday. Mixed with his family situation when he grew up and his alcoholism since he was young, he never had a chance in my opinion.
I agree. I've done a lot of researching on this too since it's always interested me.

It depends on the case. You also have to realise people who are psychopaths or sociopaths aren't automatically serial killers. What interests me is that 2 people can have very similar upbringing but one can end up becoming a serial killer and one doesn't. If we assumed they were both not psychopaths either, why is one motivated to kill and not the other? Or is it due to a mental illness? I think that's the question which has stumped me the most.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I agree. I've done a lot of researching on this too since it's always interested me.

It depends on the case. You also have to realise people who are psychopaths or sociopaths aren't automatically serial killers. What interests me is that 2 people can have very similar upbringing but one can end up becoming a serial killer and one doesn't. If we assumed they were both not psychopaths either, why is one motivated to kill and not the other? Or is it due to a mental illness? I think that's the question which has stumped me the most.
that's what I kept thinking about too. mental health is tricky and a lot plays a part and not every upbringing get's you to the same place. no matter what people's story is very complex and so much needs to be considered. we also can't be sure if the confirme serial killers are telling the whole truth of what they did and what goes in their mind.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Mostly made, some might be born in a way that makes them more likely to be serial killers than others. Others have already stated pretty much similar opinions as I have on this so I won't go further ^^
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,384
Reactions Received
151,392
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I think it's a combination of both. It's possible to be born with the ability to commit a crime like that but it's more likely someone born with that ability but then exacerbated by negative life experiences. Either work but both combined is where it gets really bad and dangerous
 
Joined
23 June 2019
Messages
1,759
Reactions Received
10,279
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I think it is both. People are born with some genetic dispositions or something mentally not right. Whether or not that turns into serial killer material all depends on the upbringing. A game of can we catch the signs soon enough. As my sociology teacher said "Video games don't make kids violent, but they can show us red flag behavior if we pay attention". Example of ed flag behavior: Obsession, violent lash outs, inability to separate fantasy from reality, glee in killing things (yeah sim players make me worry). There is also the point that a killer of animals will one day will turn on humans.

The trouble lies in neglectful/abusive parents who don't pay enough to their children. Or parents who are just-what do I want to use... They see the signs but blow it off or blame it on other things. Or the age old boys will be boys. So as these issues with personality and behavior arise no one corrects them and the behavior continues until sometimes escalation.

I understand a lot of serial killers were the "quiet boy next door you never suspect" but when their families talk about their childhood it's littered with red flags.

Fun fact: A lot of serial killers had yellow rooms as kids.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,606
Reactions Received
93,425
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
187,178
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Saying they are born or made removes responsibility for the actions.
People are all broken, some may be pushed or isolated kind of a helping hand.
At the end of the day unless they are mentally deficient(ie incapable) each is accountable for the choices made.
It takes a special kind of emotions to be a serial killer.
Random shooter / mass killer is mostly rage / hate / frustration not often repeated since they burn out that emotion.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread