I think one of the best parallels one can draw to explain the kpop fandom is to compare it to football, hockey, or soccer in the West, depending on where you're from. These are all activities that have huge followings and massive international fanbases that are extremely dedicated to collecting as much information as possible about their sport. They keep up with everything going in the world of that sport purely out of interest and genuine enjoyment. Some fans can really go crazy with team support - painting their bodies, getting tattoos, and wearing their favourite teams as part of their identities. There's also an expectation of having one favourite team, and while I know this isn't the reality for most international fans, from what I know of Korean fans, they do tend to choose one group, which is why the collective identity within each fandom can be so strong. There is an expectation that you choose your team and support them all the way. So whenever I hear someone comment on how weird the Kpop fandom is, I think - it really isn't than different than soccer culture. One's just had way more time to become widely accepted. If I ever had to explain Kpop in a minute to someone who saw it as weird, I think this is how I would present it. Thoughts?