Cantonese or Mandarin? (2 Viewers)

Joined
19 October 2020
Messages
19,165
Reactions Received
28,437
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,455
Fandom
multi BG
Gender
Female
I know some of you can speak either (or even both?) of these and I have heard Cantonese is much harder than Mandarin as it has more tones and more traditional writing style (correct me on these if I´m wrong, please). but I just somehow prefer Cantonese as Hong Kong and Macau simply fascinate me. The language also sounds a bit gentler to me, even more so melodic than Mandarin.

Which one would you like to learn or would have learned if you had a choice?

I´m not clever enough to learn anything but I´m going to admire it from afar forever :D
 
  • Like
Reactions: mysteric and Yili

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
wow!! hat off to you! I think it depends on the talent :)
Thank you! I hope I actually stick to Mandarin this time because I ditched Korean and Japanese a while ago. :nekosweat:

Mandarin is definitely a lot harder but it will help me in my career hopefully so this is important.
 
Joined
19 October 2020
Messages
19,165
Reactions Received
28,437
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,455
Fandom
multi BG
Gender
Female
Thank you! I hope I actually stick to Mandarin this time because I ditched Korean and Japanese a while ago. :nekosweat:

Mandarin is definitely a lot harder but it will help me in my career hopefully so this is important.
good luck with it. are you in touch with some Mandarin speakers on here? I´m sure that could help! A bit of practice and you can always come back to both Korean and Japanese as they both come from Chinese (Ancient one I believe) so you´ll understand the language structure so much more! it will be just a breeze compared to Mandarin! (well, maybe not the grammer buuuut, with a bit more effort, you can do it! :)
 
  • Love
  • Like
Reactions: mysteric and Mayday

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
good luck with it. are you in touch with some Mandarin speakers on here? I´m sure that could help! A bit of practice and you can always come back to both Korean and Japanese as they both come from Chinese (Ancient one I believe) so you´ll understand the language structure so much more! it will be just a breeze compared to Mandarin! (well, maybe not the grammer buuuut, with a bit more effort, you can do it! :)
@Mangoey offered to help if I ever needed any. I'm pretty sure they offer some Mandarin classes at my college so that should definitely help if I ever have the time.

And you're right- both Hangul and Nihongo stem from ancient Mandarin. I can already read Hangul because the writing system is super simple. Mandarin though...oh boy.
 
  • Love
Reactions: brekker

mysteric

hysteric
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
14,363
Reactions Received
27,574
Location
the moon
Website
newjeans.carrd.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,986
Fandom
MeU & MY
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she ✧ her
Ship
mandarin speaker, so biased here, but I prefer mandarin, it sounds softer??
but yeah, it's easier than canto to learn ig since the written language is simplified
I do think the numbers get unsimplified for banking and delivery though
 
  • Wow
Reactions: brekker
Joined
19 October 2020
Messages
19,165
Reactions Received
28,437
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,455
Fandom
multi BG
Gender
Female
@Mangoey offered to help if I ever needed any. I'm pretty sure they offer some Mandarin classes at my college so that should definitely help if I ever have the time.

And you're right- both Hangul and Nihongo stem from ancient Mandarin. I can already read Hangul because the writing system is super simple. Mandarin though...oh boy.
hard but worth it. I really admire people who can do it. I´m fascinated by it, but that´s probably where I start and end. I struggle at languages in general :D.
 

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
hard but worth it. I really admire people who can do it. I´m fascinated by it, but that´s probably where I start and end. I struggle at languages in general :D.
I was born into a bilingual family so I'm already pretty flexible with languages in general. I guess I have a tiny advantage in those regards.
 
Joined
19 October 2020
Messages
19,165
Reactions Received
28,437
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,455
Fandom
multi BG
Gender
Female
mandarin speaker, so biased here, but I prefer mandarin, it sounds softer??
but yeah, it's easier than canto to learn ig since the written language is simplified
I do think the numbers get unsimplified for banking and delivery though
I seriously envy you but in a good way. It is such a useful language to know.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mysteric

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
mandarin speaker, so biased here, but I prefer mandarin, it sounds softer??
but yeah, it's easier than canto to learn ig since the written language is simplified
I do think the numbers get unsimplified for banking and delivery though
Can you read it?
 
  • Like
Reactions: mysteric

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread