COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Crunch on This: Top 50 Songs of February (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Continuing to catch up, this time with February's best songs. For kpop, at least, this is the calm before the storm that is the month of March. For other genres, it's business as usual, though with some particularly outstanding entries from the world of Korean hip hop.

What is this? My entirely subjective, unscientific, and unbiased ranking of the top 50 new singles and title tracks each month from all genres of Korean music. The top 25 songs are posted with videos and the rest have links to their MVs, and there are awards for artist, discovery and genre of the month. Every three months I will also include a quarterly list ranking the top 100 songs of the year.

Why do this? To scratch an itch for obsessing over lists, to force myself to not slack on keeping up with new releases, to point people at some good songs they might have missed, and to give attention to some of the great Korean music out there beyond the bubble of kpop.

Where do I find these? Mostly Youtube channels like Poclanos, 1theK, Genie, Stone, WLK, Danal, Mirrorball, Super Sound Bugs and danielions, as well as smaller channels, channels for specific record labels or artists, and a bit of Bandcamp and Soundcloud.

Why is this weird? I use the earliest date recorded for a release or MV, so you may see some songs appearing in a different month than expected. It's just a way to stay consistent, but it can yield some strange results, for example, the MVs for N.Flying's Rooftop and Chungha's Gotta Go being dated 12/28/2018, making them technically ineligible for this year's rankings.

If you want to be tagged for future posts (or removed) just let me know. If I already tagged you, you've either shown interest in the wider world of Korean music, or I just wanted to bother you.

πŸ’œ - Kpop
🎀 - R&B
πŸ•Ά - Hip hop
🎹 - Ballad/vocal
🎞 - Soundtrack
πŸ’½ - Electronic
🎸 - Rock
🎡 - Indie/alternative pop
These icons look terrible on night mode btw

#50 to #26

50. Chen - Make It Count (Touch Your Heart OST Part.1) 🎞
49. Mr. Hong - Just a Little (ft. Summer Soul & City Girl) 🎡
48. Trei - Gravity πŸ’œ
47. JayMin - Bad Tonight 🎀
46. Carmine - It's Okay 🎀
45. S2REN - No Where? Now Here! 🎡
44. 7th Street - Life Goes On 🎡
43. Leni - City Lights πŸŽ΅πŸ’½
42. 5HOME - Dont 🎡
41. Nana Mellie - Let Me Love 🎀
40. ClaD - Old Trail πŸŽ€πŸ•Ά
39. Yeseo - Take Flight! πŸ’½
38. Infinite - Clock πŸ’œ
37. BRWN - Star (ft. 29thofmay) 🎡
36. youra - Dance 🎡
35. The Pink Lady - God Girl πŸ’œ
34. Younghertz - Show Me Love πŸ•Ά
33. CHS - Soul Overload 🎸
32. Yukika - Neon πŸ’œ
31. Wayout - Coward 🎀
30. The Poles - Sun Shower 🎸
29. Chawoo - Sad 🎀
28. UZA - So XXXXin What 🎡
27. slchld - my insecurities, not yours 🎀
26. jiinko - Slow City 🎡

#25 to #1

25. Rosy - Red Herring 🎀

24. Jang Dong Woo - News πŸ’œ

23. 9Muses - Remember πŸ’œ

22. eSNa - Spoon 🎀

21. Brandy - Alright 🎀

20. PUP - Uh Uh Um πŸ•Ά

19. SOMA - Betty 🎀

18. uju - Night in Seoul 🎡

17. U Sung Eun - Deep 🎀

16. Jisook - Big Dipper 🎡

15. (G)I-dle - Senorita πŸ’œ

14. Hail - flu 🎹

13. Dreamcatcher - Piri πŸ’œ

12. DALsooobin - Katchup πŸ’œ

11. Aseul - Joke πŸ’½

10. Sikboy - Rapman πŸ•Ά

9. Meego - Freeze (ft. Summer Soul) 🎡

8. OA - I Will Be Your Tree 🎹

7. Hwasa - Twit πŸ’œ

6. xion - Your Song (ft. Leebada & Rick Bridges) πŸ•ΆπŸŽ€

5. Shin Hae Gyeong - Dreaming of You (ft. Kim Sawol) 🎹

4. Junoflo - Icarus πŸ•Ά

3. Yayyoung - Look At Me Now 🎡

2. Fred - Haze πŸ•ΆπŸŽ€

1. Loona - Butterfly πŸ’œ

ARTIST OF THE MONTH: 9Muses gets the nod for putting the finishing touches on a nine year journey filled with far more downs than ups for a group that has had such consistently good music, good vocalists, good rappers, standout visuals, and everything else that should have made them much more successful than they were.

DISCOVERY OF THE MONTH: Fred. A rare example of when r&b and rap combine to make a whole that's greater than the sum of its parts. If you have any love for Korean hip hop, or if you can only give one of these tracks a listen, it should be Haze. Honorable mention for Sikboy, another gifted rapper I hadn't heard of before.

GENRE OF THE MONTH: Hip hop wins this month on the strength of Fred, Junoflo, Sikboy, xion, PUP and Younghertz, with two entries in the top 5 and four in the top 10. As someone who hasn't been particularly kind to Korean rappers, I was pleasantly surprised by these tracks, and I will happily let these artists continue to prove me wrong for sometimes being a bit dismissive of this genre as a whole.

Last edited:

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
no suprise that butterfly is first. LOONA blessed us orbits with a great comeback

Reactions Received
KS Coins
no suprise that butterfly is first. LOONA blessed us orbits with a great comeback
It's still stuck in my head after a month since I first heard it at Loonaverse.

For hip hop, check out Fred and Sikboy if you haven't heard them. So good. Younghertz also made the list both months, didn't make it too high but he's also very good.

:sanapray:

jasque

Antifragile
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
Jisook is so pretty

I liked the song too

mirella

✧✦ soloist akgae ✦✧
Reactions Received
Website
www.last.fm
KS Coins
Fandom
EXO-L?
Ship
Wreck
Taste as always, especially in the R&B/indie section, but there seems to be a lack of hip hop :oof_tea:

Jk Imma be real, I barely had any rap songs I liked this year lol.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Taste as always, especially in the R&B/indie section, but there seems to be a lack of hip hop :oof_tea:

Jk Imma be real, I barely had any rap songs I liked this year lol.
Outside of the four in the top ten *cough cough* and PUP in Feb., BewhY, Punchnello and Jvcki+friends in January, and Younghertz chugging along lower in the rankings both months, I haven't liked much either, but you know how I feel about KHH. I thought Cinderella and FaceTime were okay, but just okay.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread