COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Did you struggle learning English language when growing up? (2 Viewers)

BlackpinkINSync

༺✮•°◤ 𝙀𝙪𝙧𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙖𝙣 ◥°•✮༻
Reactions Received
Website
www.ancestry.com
KS Coins
Fandom
𓂀 𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂 𓂀
Pronouns
𝙝𝙚/𝙝𝙞𝙢
First or second language, it doesn't matter. I mean as a whole.
I had to go to a speech therapist for many years as a youth

and even now, some words escape me, even though I am fluent.
Like it's daunting to see how far it can stretch in terms of slang too.

Like my mum and step mother know English. One knows English better than the other one.
And do you also think English is neccessary to learn in this day and age, or can we do without it?

BlackpinkINSync

༺✮•°◤ 𝙀𝙪𝙧𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙖𝙣 ◥°•✮༻
Reactions Received
Website
www.ancestry.com
KS Coins
Fandom
𓂀 𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂 𓂀
Pronouns
𝙝𝙚/𝙝𝙞𝙢
I was good, but my accent was (and still is) terrible :pepecross:
I think I kind of speak how my mum speaks when she speaks English.
Like I skip words sometimes.

Like broken English.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I thought speech therapist is for children who have linguistic problems learning their mother language though.

People who do not speak it do not live with a problem either imo, but people who speak English in Eastern countries are minority and tbh I would say we view the world way differently. Which has pros and cons.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Was a speech therapy kid as well. However I guess I didn't really learn English that well since I had a semi yuper accent. Think my English got better moving out to CA but sometimes people look at me and ask what I am saying.

Edit: @SnowWhite speech therapy was much like learning another language. Sure I could hear and understand the other language but grasping how to say it was just as hard as trying to speak another language.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Well i live in america so that my mainly how i speak but my mom wanted me to learn Spanish cause a lot of Spanish people come to here but *i got boring and really hard* my mom always say "you can learn Korean but you can't learn Spanish when i sent you to a school to learn it" i simply answer "i was not interested in it> the reason i learn Korean cause i interested in it not just the music the show too. sadly i gave up on Japanese cause i way above my skill level but if i could i would and i'm in the prosses of learning Chinese too" *Plus who said i was going to stay here i remember my dream moving to asia and that what i plan to do* but i keep that to myself so i don't endanger my life *yes my mom that scary*

kuro

✰ hiatus ✰
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
yes I struggled a lot with english, but more of the change switching english types. I grew up in India speaking British english, so I used spellings like learnt instead of learned, and just used British slang overall, so when I came to the US, I realized even though we were speaking the same language, there were lots of differences, so I adapted to US english over time :sanapray: . I can't remember if Tamil or English was my first language, but I still struggle with English grammar :yolk:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Hmm I didn't struggle learning English but I did struggle with Spanish (we spoke both languages growing up). Idk what happened to my American accent since I moved out of home...I've adopted the use of "hella" but I'm not from Northern California... sometimes I translate other languages to Spanish to English to make things it easier for me to understand

jasque

Antifragile
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
I learned it easy, had a 5 years course.

I'm not sure if I can very speak well though, at least I can listen.

Also I never tried learning some stuff like adverbs, so I probably still mess up with those.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Well i live in america so that my mainly how i speak but my mom wanted me to learn Spanish cause a lot of Spanish people come to here but *i got boring and really hard* my mom always say "you can learn Korean but you can't learn Spanish when i sent you to a school to learn it" i simply answer "i was not interested in it> the reason i learn Korean cause i interested in it not just the music the show too. sadly i gave up on Japanese cause i way above my skill level but if i could i would and i'm in the prosses of learning Chinese too" *Plus who said i was going to stay here i remember my dream moving to asia and that what i plan to do* but i keep that to myself so i don't endanger my life *yes my mom that scary*
I find Spanish much much easier than Korean. So many English words have a Latin origin its simpler to understand.
After years of working with folks i could communicate.
Both have the subject predicate thing that kills me, but Spanish i can kinda tell where the stuff goes. Korean is still mostly gibberish after a decade.
Subs do not help because they already said what i am reading. I do not get how people say subs help em learn. It does not help that the subbers even get the stuff i do know messed up.

perhapz

ab imo pectore
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Not really, it was like a natural proccess I guess?
I'm self-taugt, so I just learned it little by little. I'm not fluent tho, but I can comprehend it 100%. My speaking is poor, since I don't practice that much. But I wouldn't say it was a struggle, it was fun.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
yes I struggled a lot with english, but more of the change switching english types. I grew up in India speaking British english, so I used spellings like learnt instead of learned, and just used British slang overall, so when I came to the US, I realized even though we were speaking the same language, there were lots of differences, so I adapted to US english over time :sanapray: . I can't remember if Tamil or English was my first language, but I still struggle with English grammar :yolk:
lol i failed grammar and got an A in composition. That caused some angry words from the folks.. English grammar is a train wreck.
Pre - word processors btw.
Word/spell check is in the running for the greatest invention ever ....:) After the water wheel ofc( which is STILL the foundation of the vast majority of power generated in the world today.)

kuro

✰ hiatus ✰
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
lol i failed grammar and got an A in composition. That caused some angry words from the folks.. English grammar is a train wreck.
Pre - word processors btw.
Word/spell check is in the running for the greatest invention ever ....:) After the water wheel ofc( which is STILL the foundation of the vast majority of power generated in the world today.)
lol spell check really is a godsend :sj_weary:

Sory

I see that I'm Icy
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Not really, it was like a natural proccess I guess?
I'm self-taugt, so I just learned it little by little. I'm not fluent tho, but I can comprehend it 100%. My speaking is poor, since I don't practice that much. But I wouldn't say it was a struggle, it was fun.
same

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Not much.
I got the basics from my brother and father.
Then I just started watching english tv.

gongchan

Izz/Phoenix
Reactions Received
Website
theghostofwind.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Bana
Pronouns
he/him
Ship
Wreck
I never struggled with English overall, but more the different types of English.

English is such a vast language that learning it in one way/in one place can change a lot. I originally learnt it from my relatives from the UK, so that brought some differences in my speaking once I started school since I live in the US. Although since I was still very young at the time it really didn't alter how I talk now all that much. Now I like to think that I sound more like I'm from the US than how my relatives from other countries sound.

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Lex stan
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Nope
When I was a kid I talked to everyone I possibly could, so when I started learning English at 4-5 years old i picked it up very quickly just from the crazy amount of practice I got
Then when I started school I got super obsessed with reading and became a top student in english 2 years after starting to learn it lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread