Do You Prefer Aspirational Beauty Or Accessible Beauty? (1 Viewer)

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
Do You Prefer Aspirational Beauty Or Accessible Beauty?


People differ in what they find attractive.

We differ in what types of facial structure and skin tone and other physical parameters we find alluring.

But what I've noticed is there is also a difference that isn't directly a physical parameter, but one of kind and context.... Or perhaps presentation...

I don't know quite how to name it .....


Let me explain with an example:


Often people post pictures of their favorite idol to showcase their beauty.

In my assessment there seem to be roughly two camps of the types of examples one provides.

To illustrate I'll use an example.

One I'll call Aspirational Beauty.

The other Accessible.


For Aspirational Beauty think fashion photoshoots, and designer clothes.... Sultry smiles or stoic frowns, all meant to evoke this sense of larger than life presence and beauty. In this context the beauty is presented in an inaccessible light... Think concepts of elegance, class, fashion, etc.... This type of beauty emphasizes how the subject is not a normal person. They are a star.... Or an "aspirational" figure.

Example:




For Accessible Beauty think casual everyday aesthetics. Simple or casual outfits and demeanors, smiles and lack of artifice. This type of beauty emphasizes an overall approachable nature.... Not a distancing. Think girl/boy next door looks, candid shots and smiles, more normal everyday presentation as you might see them in everyday life.... It is anti-magazine or fashion shoot.... The beauty comes from it's accessibility.

Example.





It's my assessment (from what I've seen on the forums) when the subject to be posted is of the sex one is attracted to romantically and sexually, often people gravitate to Accessible types of beauty pictures... Candids and smiles etc.

On the other hand, when it's someone of the same sex and one they aren't sexually attracted to, it often ends up being an Aspirational photo like a magazine shoot, etc.

Granted this is just my observations so I could be wildly wrong or influenced by confirmation bias.

I know for me personally, I prefer accessible beauty in women. I hands down think Yoona looks prettier in the Accessible photo over the Magazine shoot. It's not even a competition for me.

Which do you prefer?

When someone asks you to show them the prettiest/most handsome picture of an idol, what do you generally pick?


I'm curious whether this differs along gender lines. And depending on the gender of the subject being posted.



@igloo @DrewB @la_mort_pour_vous @Drug @Chahee @shineesmascot
 
Last edited:

OnlyCalB

GG Trash
.
.
Joined
24 November 2018
Messages
52,131
Reactions Received
94,782
Location
Dreamworld
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
132,191
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him/Card Master
So is this pretty much comparing natural beauty vs photoshoots etc?

Aspirational beauty models someone's looks/features in a controlled way. Lots of make up, nice clothes, jewellery, great lighting set up etc. Sure it looks good, but it's not completely "natural".

Personally, I prefer accessible. Candid photos are far more "real" and natural and shows people's "true" beauty. I'll always prefer images of my fave idols doing random things during their day compared to when they are in a studio for a controlled photoshoot.
 
Last edited:
Joined
25 February 2019
Messages
1,009
Reactions Received
3,554
Location
SHINee Academy
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Probably aspirational. I know I know, magazines edit the hell out of people to make them look beautiful/handsome as all get out...but gawsh are they good at doing it :sj_weary: they just have this way of highlighting features...posing idols/models the right way...and just making them look like a whole snacc.
 

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
I'm with you. Accessible all the way.

I prefer jeans, t shirt and no make up over any glamorous photoshoot.

Not saying the Aspirational look isn't visually pleasing. Just that I'm more about the down to earth girl next door.
I'm the same....
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,606
Reactions Received
93,425
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
187,178
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
soo are those all accessible?
4 are candid's and 2 are photo-shoots i think she looks less accessible in at least the dispatch candid and maybe the fashion show.
15085
15086
15090


15091

15092
15093

this i guess is for sure Aspirational
but she looks other worldly pretty it would be very hard for me to not like that look.
15095
 
Last edited:

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
soo are those all accessible?
4 are candid's and 2 are photo-shoots i think she looks less accessible in at least the dispatch candid and maybe the fashion show.
15085
15086
15090


15091

15092
15093

Well it doesn't apply across the board!

You just had to find counter examples!!!!

Lol.


It's probably switched in this case.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,606
Reactions Received
93,425
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
187,178
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
lets use Yoona photo shoot but dang...she is still warm and very appealing.
15096


not much different from
15097



i think it is warm and appealing. The crazy beautiful folks pull that off even in a photo shoot.
but the over the top styling like say many album covers i am not into.
 
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
4,096
Reactions Received
13,689
Location
Throwing rotten eggs at Pledis
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Ship
Accessible. I prefer people acting natural than trying to be picture perfect all the time
 
Joined
9 November 2018
Messages
2,246
Reactions Received
4,110
Location
Hellevator
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
58,594
Pronouns
Haewon's yeobo
Watch everyone say accessible.

Lol.

I see hundreds of people post photoshoot after photoshoot when someone posts up a visual thread!

Something's fishy here....

*Narrows eyes*


😏
Yeah, I am kinda guilty of most of the time post pics which are of photoshoots. But the thing with me is the person I do want to show is not that active and I tend to always want to show her most recent pics which are often her doing a photoshoot or attending something. But I do prefer accessible.
 

jasque

Antifragile
.
.
Joined
29 August 2018
Messages
11,564
Reactions Received
42,959
Location
Brasil
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18,971
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
Gender
Male
I remembered most of Fiestar's Jei photos are like aspirational




I always thought they were too boring, even her being pretty xD
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
3,675
Reactions Received
13,340
Location
Idol Hell
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Accessible beauty because it looks more genuine to me. She looks like she's having fun and the smile is real in the 2nd picture but in the 1st, while she's still beautiful, it doesn't seem to be who she really is and she's just posing for the camera.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darkseid and lexus

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread