Do You Think BTS Being Idols Limit Them? (1 Viewer)

Do You Think BTS Being Idols Limit Them?


  • Total voters
    2

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
For the most part, idol groups are manufactured. This comes with its perks but also many downsides. The perks being they are extremely professional, are very organized and always consider the collective. However, the downsides are massive. Their thoughts and opinions on topics are suppressed by their company in favor of politically neutral stances. They have to live in constant fear of being exposed as not perfect. The list goes on.
-
Now, to my point. BTS started off as a manufactured boy group but they've grown into artists who endorse significant movements surrounding mental health and the sorts. But, do you think their idol image limits them when they are barred from voicing their thoughts on various topics/current events?​
 
Last edited:
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
8,028
Reactions Received
19,590
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ship
Actually BTS voiced their opinion on various topics right from the start such as enlistement in Adult Child or the Korean educational system in their school trilogy. They have a song like Am I wrong which is really provocative.

They are probably limited one way or another about what they can say or express. Taehyung wrote a Christmas song for Jimin and him but one BH producer told him that it’s impossible for them to sing it together ( too gay). It’s hard to measure to what extent they are limited though.
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,301
Reactions Received
76,675
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
189,120
Ship
Wreck
Well I think it depends on what their opinion on a topic is as you can be a good person usually and end up opening your mouth on a topic and everyone is against you because of your opinion on that topic and BTS being idols helps them avoid situations like that even if they could get respect for having a woke opinion on such issues if they have the right opinion.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darkyoda47

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
Well I think it depends on what their opinion on a topic is as you can be a good person usually and end up opening your mouth on a topic and everyone is against you because of your opinion on that topic and BTS being idols helps them avoid situations like that even if they could get respect for having a woke opinion on such issues if they have the right opinion.
That's actually a very good point that I overlooked as one of the perks of having a politically neutral standpoint.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Abeamus

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
Actually BTS voiced their opinion on various topics right from the start such as enlistement in Adult Child or the Korean educational system in their school trilogy. They have a song like Am I wrong which is really provocative.

They are probably limited one way or another about what they can say or express. Taehyung wrote a Christmas song for Jimin and him but one BH producer told him that it’s impossible for them to sing it together ( too gay). It’s hard to measure to what extent they are limited though.
Awww I want a gay anthem from BTS :umjicry::umjicry::umjicry:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evergreen
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
8,028
Reactions Received
19,590
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ship
Awww I want a gay anthem from BTS :umjicry::umjicry::umjicry:
Same. He mentioned the song two years in a raw in December so it might bother him.

The producer told him that the Korean public wouldn’t understand and that he should sing the song with afemale singer so yeah, they have some limits.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darkyoda47

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
Same. He mentioned the song two years in a raw in December so it might bother him.

The producer told him that the Korean public wouldn’t understand and that he should sing the song with afemale singer so yeah, they have some limits.
Aww gay kings :umjicry: :umjicry: :umjicry:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evergreen
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
I think you made a good point here about the manufacturedness of K-Pop. Does it limit BTS by not being able to express opinions on such or express them in a particular sort of way? Perhaps, but does it matter? Let me contextualize this. Gay rights is a sociopolitical issue. Some have come out against homosexuals (i.e. Siwon) others have supported it/them (i.e. CL, RM)... While I find it nice when idols from a conservative country like SK that extols lineage and famial piety express positive attitudes toward homosexuality, I would not be bumbed out if they refused to express their opinions/thoughts on the matter. However, giving public opinions on sociopolitical issues can be problematic. Take this girl I was subbing on YT for a while. Most of her content was based on her spirituality. Fans or Subscribers want to hear about such a topic and when she releases a video giving a political stance on a social issue and calling others who don't agree with her sexist, that will create division. Expressing any sociopolitical opinion will create division anyway.

Forgive my digressions.. To answer more succinctly, it may be limiting, but is not much of the media reaction towards political and social issues manufactured in a way to protect dividends and increase capital? It wouldn't surprise me if non-idol celebs opinions that are shared aren't entirely true. There are some things that people believe that it is hard to express without being viewed scornfully. Or even a simple answer can't be given so a lie is given for the sake of simplicity. For instance, If I were having a casual conversation about vacations with an acquaintance, I would say sure if I were asked if I'd want to go to Saudi Arabia since she thought the architecture and geography was so beautiful. A lie would be easier than giving a long diatribe of how I wouldn't want to visit a country where it would be illegal to engage in any meaningful act of same-sex romantic expression. That would be bringing up a social issue when the friend/acquaintance was not even making a serious suggestion of buying tickets, but rather making a passing comment about the scenery.

:sanapray:I hope I am answering your question correctly. When I started typing there were no replies... lol
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darkyoda47

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
I think you made a good point here about the manufacturedness of K-Pop. Does it limit BTS by not being able to express opinions on such or express them in a particular sort of way? Perhaps, but does it matter? Let me contextualize this. Gay rights is a sociopolitical issue. Some have come out against homosexuals (i.e. Siwon) others have supported it/them (i.e. CL, RM)... While I find it nice when idols from a conservative country like SK that extols lineage and famial piety express positive attitudes toward homosexuality, I would not be bumbed out if they refused to express their opinions/thoughts on the matter. However, giving public opinions on sociopolitical issues can be problematic. Take this girl I was subbing on YT for a while. Most of her content was based on her spirituality. Fans or Subscribers want to hear about such a topic and when she releases a video giving a political stance on a social issue and calling others who don't agree with her sexist, that will create division. Expressing any sociopolitical opinion will create division anyway.

Forgive my digressions.. To answer more succinctly, it may be limiting, but is not much of the media reaction towards political and social issues manufactured in a way to protect dividends and increase capital? It wouldn't surprise me if non-idol celebs opinions that are shared aren't entirely true. There are some things that people believe that it is hard to express without being viewed scornfully. Or even a simple answer can't be given so a lie is given for the sake of simplicity. For instance, If I were having a casual conversation about vacations with an acquaintance, I would say sure if I were asked if I'd want to go to Saudi Arabia since she thought the architecture and geography was so beautiful. A lie would be easier than giving a long diatribe of how I wouldn't want to visit a country where it would be illegal to engage in any meaningful act of same-sex romantic expression. That would be bringing up a social issue when the friend/acquaintance was not even making a serious suggestion of buying tickets, but rather making a passing comment about the scenery.

:sanapray:I hope I am answering your question correctly. When I started typing there were no replies... lol
You make incredibly good points here, especially the part about dividends and increasing capital. I think SM, YG and JYP are as strict and careful with their idols because they are publicly traded companies. The smallest scandal with their idols can send the worth of their stocks down. I think I raised this question with BTS because a lot of their image in the west is centered around them shedding light on topics such as mental health and the importance of self love, which has not been seen before from an idol group. If they eventually refuse to individually voice their thoughts on social issues in the world or in the west, wouldn't they come off as hypocritical to their fans?
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
If they eventually refuse to individually voice their thoughts on social issues in the world or in the west, wouldn't they come off as hypocritical to their fans?
Based on their past, yes. Plus, often an absence of a viewpoint is seen as a response in and of itself. If BTS hadn't said anything about the protests it may have been assumed that they didn't approve of them given their past outspokenness and that could be a problem as I have seen some come under fire for not responding sooner.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darkyoda47

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread