Do You Think Comedy Today Is Being Taken Too Seriously? (1 Viewer)

Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
1,049
Reactions Received
4,251
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
V.I.P
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
So of course, I got into a little argument with someone on Pinterest over a post and it just
sparked my curiosity and I wanted to hear from more people what they thought. With how,
sensitive, I guess you can say, the world has become do you think comedy is being taken
too seriously? Is there certain comedy that just crosses the line? Where is the line?


I'll just put it here, so on the Pinterest post there was a bright red card that said "i'm pregnant"
and on the back of it said "just kidding, "boo" seemed a little overused" and quite a few
women got very offended saying that it wasn't funny and that not everyone can get pregnant.
They went on to say that people who thought it was funny lacked empathy and blah blah blah.

My honest opinion, I think comedy is being taken too seriously. A simple card like that one sparked
a huge fight and for what? If we are going to be so sensitive to everything around us then nothing will
be able to be joked about anymore.
​
 

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I feel like comedy is often taken to seriously, and not seriously enough. For example, school shooting jokes aren't funny at all, but communist jokes are. However, the people dying because of communism is not at all funny, yet the concept of communism is a joke. I feel like more people should think about what the joke is actually about before getting upset at it.
 

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
.
Joined
22 May 2019
Messages
5,913
Reactions Received
28,273
Location
Under the Earth
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Moa
Ship
I think it depends on the context. Some comedians try to pass off racist things as comedy but sometimes they are only being funny and it is taken too seriously.

This is diverting a bit, but I actually think comedy is a great medium to convey serious topics. People can enjoy it and understand more about the world at the same time. There are a few comedians who do this and I really enjoy listening to them instead of reading a boring article from the internet.
 
Last edited:
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
1,049
Reactions Received
4,251
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
V.I.P
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
I think it depends on the context. Some comedians try to pass off racist things as comedy but sometimes they are only being funny and it is taken too seriously.

This is diverting a bit, but I actually think comedy is a great medium to convey serious topics. People can enjoy it and understand more about the world at the same time. There are a few comedians who do this and I really enjoy listening to them because I enjoy listening to them instead of reading a boring article from the internet.
I get stuff like that, jokes that are maliciously homophobic, racist, or sexist shouldn't even be socially acceptable. But what about the jokes that are light-hearted? I've watched some people poke at stereotypes and then afterwards say things like "Of course I'm kidding, I love my wife and I wouldn't be here today without her" or something about a friend or whatever. It's so hard to just apply an opinion to every scenario now. I've always looked at comedy to be separate from the rest of the world. Shows like The Office or Parks & Rec have very demeaning lines but it's not solely to be offensive, it's to bring issues to light. So I understand what you mean.
 
Joined
23 June 2019
Messages
1,759
Reactions Received
10,279
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Yes I think it's taken to seriously. People don't realize the more PC we get the less funny things will be. Now days comedians have to warn people that their material can be offensive to some people and maybe they should avoid it. Still people don't care and try to shut up comedians... ... This is how you take away freedoms of speech people.
 
Joined
6 April 2019
Messages
801
Reactions Received
3,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Ship
I definitely think people have become way too sensitive,especially in celebrity culture everyone just seems to be looking for the next ''cancelled' party and are quick to dismiss something as ''discriminating'' and ''insensitive''.

It's just really unfortunate that we can't make fun of anything anymore.
 
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
1,049
Reactions Received
4,251
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
V.I.P
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
I definitely think people have become way too sensitive,especially in celebrity culture everyone just seems to be looking for the next ''cancelled' party and are quick to dismiss something as ''discriminating'' and ''insensitive''.

It's just really unfortunate that we can't make fun of anything anymore.
Hell you can't even make fun of yourself publicly
 
Joined
23 June 2019
Messages
1,759
Reactions Received
10,279
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I definitely think people have become way too sensitive,especially in celebrity culture everyone just seems to be looking for the next ''cancelled' party and are quick to dismiss something as ''discriminating'' and ''insensitive''.

It's just really unfortunate that we can't make fun of anything anymore.
Sense of humor is going in the closet now. Plenty of space with all the people come out.
 
Joined
23 June 2019
Messages
1,759
Reactions Received
10,279
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Hell you can't even make fun of yourself publicly
I'm laughing because I am reminded. My Jewish co-worker begged me to roast her when this whole roasting trend was going on. Since I'm a 4th German I told her I couldn't

SHe wouldn't fit in my oven

Of course we found it all funny because we can understand nothing was ment maliciously.
 
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
1,049
Reactions Received
4,251
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
V.I.P
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
I'm laughing because I am reminded. My Jewish co-worker begged me to roast her when this whole roasting trend was going on. Since I'm a 4th German I told her I couldn't

SHe wouldn't fit in my oven

Of course we found it all funny because we can understand nothing was ment maliciously.
It's messed up but funny lmao. But see that's what I mean, like once you are comfortable with someone the jokes aren't meant to be malicious and you know that. Same thing with me and my friend, he's black and I'm pale af so we crack on each other all the time but we mean no harm.
 
Joined
22 April 2019
Messages
1,557
Reactions Received
4,625
Location
Small Magellanic Cloud
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Good question. I'm not easily offended, but...
If the world is truly free, everyone has the right to be offended about anything, and everyone has the right to be annoyed about people getting offended, and everyone has the right to be angry at people who are annoyed at people who feel offended, etc etc...
Hmmm, I got lost
:maheart:
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Hmh, i think some jokes aren't taken seriously enough meaning people take them at face value and don't really understand that comedy often isn't just light jokes- it can be hard-hitting social commentary.

I like black comedy or well it's probably called dark comedy in english oops, also sarcasm and irony and parodies, but i feel like often people miss the point with these and get offended instead. And it's so stupid cause they are getting offended and staying the stuff that the comedian is also saying- that sth is bad and important matter, they are just presenting it n form of comedy to make people think.

What separated good dark comedy from offensive jokes to me is level of maturity and also intention. Is the comedian just being ignorant or even willingly bigoted with their joking? Or do they have knowledge on subject and are making commentary on it? Comedy is art form, but it's art from made by highly intelligent people- when it's working.

EDIT: Oh and not saying all jokes need to be serious commentary, some silly and even light jokes even if bit dark can be funny too. Just don't be bigoted about it.

EDIT 2: I think this clip is quite good example in comedy being used to give social commentary on serious matter that many would say shouldn't be joked about (and also South park is often called out from offensive jokes and just being immature, over looking how it can actually be pretty mature with it's comedy at times).

 
Last edited:

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
In general comedy is dead
It's either PC snowflakes getting offended over everything and nothing or anti-pc edge Lords posting the most racist, offensive, unfunny jokes for the sake of "triggering libs"

The best route is apathy
I haven't laughed in years
Works great :pandanoreaction:
 

Walnutt

The #1 Reveluv
.
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,274
Reactions Received
21,574
Location
Wherever Seulgi wants me to be
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
348
In general comedy is dead
It's either PC snowflakes getting offended over everything and nothing or anti-pc edge Lords posting the most racist, offensive, unfunny jokes for the sake of "triggering libs"

The best route is apathy
I haven't laughed in years
Works great :pandanoreaction:
The instant I read PC it reminded me of good ol PC Principal :maheart:

 
Joined
19 October 2018
Messages
1,452
Reactions Received
6,534
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
It’s getting taken to seriously. I love dark humor & make jokes about things that if some people would hear, they’d get mad. I feel like people also get mad at stupid jokes, like a joke my friend made about a cow called oh Nelly. It’s funny as hell but gets taken seriously
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ineul_Ze
Joined
26 August 2018
Messages
0
Reactions Received
31,963
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
By that same logic you cannot tell anyone "do you see that" because there are people in this world that cannot see.

It's retardid how people make everything over-sensitive subject.

Saying you don't eat lettuce might as well offend someone.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ineul_Ze

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread