Do you think kids are getting dumber? (1 Viewer)

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Nah there has always been dumb kids around. Though tbh i think kids are getting bit wiser due to more information available. Its bit hard to believe, but there was time where I actually had to open encyclopedia to do my homework- not wikipedia, but one of those big ass books. And my 6 year old niece speaks already better english than i do and it's all because of weird youtube vids she watches xd
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
5,718
Reactions Received
22,690
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Ship
I think the worst thing is that we don't care to learn and know more, to improve ourselves...... we just wanna stay on our phones and look at fake pics of fake people and try to be like them all day.. there are so many ways to learn these days, but we just don't care about it much, I think that's the problem... always chasing things that don't matter...
 

bulletproof

✧ @karina is the eva to my noora ✧
.
.
Joined
2 September 2018
Messages
12,423
Reactions Received
54,952
Location
ARMY base 💕
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
55
Gender
Female
Ship
Not dumb, some really surprised me in good ways... but some are more unpolite I guess. I remember the other kids when I was young and they were different. They weren’t cursing that much, they were respecting the other a bit more... and I think technology plays a good and bad part in kids’ life
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
People, now more than ever, see a phenomenon featured on a media platform and assume that it represents reality. A news story may showcase a woman shot in the park and there is mass hysteria that parks are unsafe, when in reality that is far from the truth. One's ability to see people acting stupid often leads people to think that it is a new trend when it could be something that always occurred, but we are only gaining access to evidence of it now.

But you haven't really conceptualized what you mean by dumb. Do you mean intellectually? Perhaps you mean dumb decisions like that chick in Texas with the ice cream. Or saying dumb things like, "Dude, I just found out Iggy Azalea makes flowers."
 
Joined
22 April 2019
Messages
1,557
Reactions Received
4,625
Location
Small Magellanic Cloud
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Every generation thought that. Check this out:

"Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more
worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more
corrupt."

Book III of Odes by Horace
circa 20. BC
---

"The free access which many young people have to romances, novels, and plays has poisoned the mind and corrupted the morals of many a promising youth; and prevented others from improving their minds in useful knowledge. Parents take care to feed their children with wholesome diet; and yet how unconcerned about the provision for the mind, whether they are furnished with salutary food, or with trash, chaff, or poison?"

Memoirs of the Bloomsgrove Family by Reverend Enos Hitchcock
1790.
---


"The indecent foreign dance called the Waltz was introduced ... at the English Court on Friday last ... It is quite sufficient to cast one's eyes on the voluptuous intertwining of the limbs, and close compressure of the bodies ... to see that it is far indeed removed from the modest reserve which has hitherto been considered distinctive of English females...[Now that it is] forced on the respectable classes of society by the evil example of their superiors, we feel it a duty to warn every parent against exposing his daughter to so fatal a contagion."

Times of London
1816.
---

“A pernicious excitement to learn and play chess has spread all over the country, and numerous clubs for practicing this game have been formed in cities and villages…chess is a mere amusement of a very inferior character, which robs the mind of valuable time that might be devoted to nobler acquirements … they require out-door exercises–not this sort of mental gladiatorship.”

Scientific American
July, 1858.
---

“Many [young people] were so pampered nowadays that they had forgotten that there was such a thing as walking, and they made automatically for the buses… unless they did something, the future for walking was very poor indeed.”

Scottish Rights of Way: More Young People Should Use Them, Falkirk Herald
1951.

[more]
 

jasque

Antifragile
.
.
Joined
29 August 2018
Messages
11,564
Reactions Received
42,959
Location
Brasil
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18,971
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
Gender
Male
Nah there has always been dumb kids around. Though tbh i think kids are getting bit wiser due to more information available. Its bit hard to believe, but there was time where I actually had to open encyclopedia to do my homework- not wikipedia, but one of those big ass books. And my 6 year old niece speaks already better english than i do and it's all because of weird youtube vids she watches xd
With all this information, the specialists are scarce.

Which is sad, people with focus are charming.
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
I think they're smarter and more aware of the world in a broader sense, but immaturity is at an all-time high along with lack of self-sufficient indepence
 

Minuteman

Another Settlement Needs Your Help
.
.
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
7,387
Reactions Received
22,724
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
No, I don't think kids are dumber. I think that in general, they probably aren't that different from kids from previous generations, with the exception that they now have the ability to access any information that they need in an instant. With all that information at their fingertips, kids now are probably even smarter in some areas than kids of previous generations. They're also far more proficient with technology than most people in the older generations.

However, even though I don't think they're dumber, I think that the internet and social media work to magnify their dumb decisions. These days, kids can post about the dumb things that they or their friends do on social media for everyone to see. So it gives the appearance of kids being dumber and doing dumb things, when in reality they're just doing the same dumb things that kids of every generation do, it's just that now everyone can see it.
 

Wicked

Loaded Granny Cane Incoming!
.
.
Joined
4 September 2018
Messages
4,702
Reactions Received
16,711
Location
Old Folk's Home
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
5,552
Fandom
ARMY/Multi
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Not dumb, some really surprised me in good ways... but some are more unpolite I guess. I remember the other kids when I was young and they were different. They weren’t cursing that much, they were respecting the other a bit more... and I think technology plays a good and bad part in kids’ life
Yeah, I wasn't thinking more dumb... but rather more entitled and ruder than previous generations. Partly because I think they've gotten so used to the instant gratification that the internet, phones, etc. have to offer. Also, when I've been a cashier in the past I've seen a hell of a lot more behavior that would have gotten my ass (and others) spanked or pulled out of the store on the dot... yet parents let it all fly... not that they have to use 'spanking' but come on, man. Lol.

As far as children appearing more dumb... we just have more access to see all of their idiocy in full glory thanks to social media. So, not more dumb... but rather we just see everything now.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread