Do you think kpop is way too targeted at teenagers? (2 Viewers)

Joined
19 October 2020
Messages
19,165
Reactions Received
28,437
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,455
Fandom
multi BG
Gender
Female
now listen, I have nothing against that in general. I mean teenagers deserve to have fashion, cinema and music targeted at them, after all that is a very clever marketing trick. a lot of teenagers these days get a lot of pocket money ( A LOT) and they are eager to spend them because why not? you only live once and after you are an adult, you gotta pay a lot more stuff.
also most idols debut when they are around 16-17 so having a bunch of 30+ adults salivating over them would be just weird.
but it often feels that even groups like SHINee (and boys are almost in their 30s) and BTS (soon to be in that area which is something we often forget) try to get the younger audience to like them.
which is fine, a lot of young people like Beyoncé BUT a lot of people VARIOUS ages like Beyoncé and if we are taking her as an example, she seems to target general audience.
while I feel like kpop is very youth-centred and I´m asking

what is your view on that?
should it change?
and how do you feel about people often being like "that´s so weird you listen to kpop when you are 25+" (and trust me, that happens)
no opinion is wrong, I guess. let our generations clash :D
 
  • Like
Reactions: Yili and Abeamus

daesuki

이 비가 그칠 땐 각자 있던 곳에서
.
.
Joined
4 January 2020
Messages
16,598
Reactions Received
31,252
Location
you clouds rain
Website
daesukiii.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
38,410
Fandom
YOLO
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
i mean, the groups i stan, theyre generally my age so it is a little less weird than if I was standing like, 16 yos. i think marketing towards younger people is a good strategy, and it doesn't seem to like, stop older fans from standing them so I don't think it should change.

and like some concepts are not as child friendly so there is some marketability towards older fans.

i don't think it should stop, since the concepts vary from comeback to comeback. while some songs are more peppy and teen-aimed, some are more heavy and such.not like teens dnot understand or like darker stuff, I just mean more mature concepts or somthething that adults enjoy if that makes sense

sorry I'm not quite coherent haha I'm typing with one hasnd

how many times can I say like in a post
 
  • Like
Reactions: Willow

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,208
Reactions Received
76,668
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,597
Ship
Wreck
I think it's probably more just a symptom of how it's becoming harder to not get stuck in a particular style nowadays so once a groups hits it off in a style that usually tends to be it especially if when they attempt to stray away from it only to be met with success that isn't as desirable.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Willow

Yili

Stay • Czennie • Teume • Moodz • One-It • Villain
.
.
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
36,941
Reactions Received
64,079
Location
You did well Moonbin <3
Website
flyhighyili.carrd.co
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Multi <3
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I don't think it's too targeted at teenagers, there are ways to exploit the easily addicted minds of kids and teens and I don't think kpop really does that in a bad way moreso than any other type of teen directed content in other countries. It only becomes a problem if we start to recognize that there are certain companies that do exploit just everyone in general via bad quality merch, bad treatment of fans and the members or staff, etc Then it's not a matter of being directed attention towards teens, it's a problem for every consumer or fan
 
  • Like
Reactions: Willow
Joined
19 October 2020
Messages
19,165
Reactions Received
28,437
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,455
Fandom
multi BG
Gender
Female
I just feel like people are reading my post as "it is bad that kpop is targeted at teenagers" which is not what I had meant. what I had meant was "it is targeted at only teenagers" and heavy stuff like dark concepts are definitely a part of teenage-themed stuff. it´s not like all teenagers like rainbows and unicorns or something :D.

but I understand how it is hard to judge since most people here are barely not teenagers. I think there are like 5 people who are 25+ :D.

but again nothing wrong with teenage-centred stuff. I am yet to see a concept not targeted at teenagers though.
 
Joined
6 March 2019
Messages
2,786
Reactions Received
3,813
Location
Italia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
3,970
Gender
Female
Hmmm I always thought that it is mostly targeted at teenagers yea, a lot of people I know phased out of being a delulusional fan once they grew up. I also have like 80% less interest now that I'm in my 20s. Then again, maybe it's for the best. Adults have a much wider choice to choose, so maybe Kpop wouldn't stand much chance to become popular if it was aimed at adults.
 
  • Like
Reactions: brekker
Joined
19 October 2020
Messages
19,165
Reactions Received
28,437
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,455
Fandom
multi BG
Gender
Female
Hmmm I always thought that it is mostly targeted at teenagers yea, a lot of people I know phased out of being a delulusional fan once they grew up. I also have like 80% less interest now that I'm in my 20s. Then again, maybe it's for the best. Adults have a much wider choice to choose, so maybe Kpop wouldn't stand much chance to become popular if it was aimed at adults.
but the second gen groups? still active? relatively at similar age? they could have tried harder to reach their own generation?
 
  • Like
Reactions: SnowWhite
Joined
6 March 2019
Messages
2,786
Reactions Received
3,813
Location
Italia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
3,970
Gender
Female
but the second gen groups? still active? relatively at similar age? they could have tried harder to reach their own generation?
Most second generation groups aren't really active. I follow Apink casually and it seems that majority of their fans are very young and way younger than the members themselves. Idk why that's the case because the new concept which they have been trying since 2018 isn't something adults couldn't connect with. I followed Gfriend very very closely until 2019 and even when the members all graduated, the fans were still teenagers. The members said that they felt old in fansigns lol. I'm guessing once Korean fans get older they move to soloists/artists or anything which the gp listens to.
 
  • Like
Reactions: brekker
Joined
19 October 2020
Messages
19,165
Reactions Received
28,437
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,455
Fandom
multi BG
Gender
Female
Most second generation groups aren't really active. I follow Apink casually and it seems that majority of their fans are very young and way younger than the members themselves. Idk why that's the case because the new concept which they have been trying since 2018 isn't something adults couldn't connect with. I followed Gfriend very very closely until 2019 and even when the members all graduated, the fans were still teenagers. The members said that they felt old in fansigns lol. I'm guessing once Korean fans get older they move to soloists/artists or anything which the gp listens to.
well for BGs that might be a bit different though they do have teenage fans as well and a lot, but most SHINee fans, Block B, Big Bang are ... I feel ... a bit older ... luckily :D. but yeah I guess teenagers are the one who get the money :D so they are driving the market.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SnowWhite

eclipsoul

that one friend that's too woke
.
.
Joined
14 October 2019
Messages
25,595
Reactions Received
43,660
Location
too embarassed to show that country here
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
40,408
Fandom
Orbit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
i agree that it is too much youth-centered, but in somehow a different way. when i got into kpop i was seriously surprised to find out that idols in their mid-30s are already considered "old" in some way when outside of kpop many artists are just starting the peak of their careers at that age. in my opinion, idols should not debut when they're minors, there are many who did in my favourite groups and i am in no way against them but some external factors that come with being a kpop idol are way too dangerous and overwhelming for 14-16 years old children to deal with and an industry that negatively affects grown adults as well is not a safe place for them to grow up in. kpop is marketed the way it is simply because companies care about making money more than anything else but obviously i don't think anyone 25+ should be called "weird" for enjoying kpop even when the idols are much younger, it's just a music genre and everyone should be allowed to enjoy music after all. i'm about to turn 20 this year but some of my favourite non-kpop artists are already over 60 or 70 years old (i mean i mainly listen to the music they made when they were in their 20s-30s but the point still stands) and i wouldn't want to be called weird because there is literally nothing wrong with that.
 
  • Love
Reactions: brekker
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,622
Reactions Received
93,434
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
187,546
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
now listen, I have nothing against that in general. I mean teenagers deserve to have fashion, cinema and music targeted at them, after all that is a very clever marketing trick. a lot of teenagers these days get a lot of pocket money ( A LOT) and they are eager to spend them because why not? you only live once and after you are an adult, you gotta pay a lot more stuff.
also most idols debut when they are around 16-17 so having a bunch of 30+ adults salivating over them would be just weird.
but it often feels that even groups like SHINee (and boys are almost in their 30s) and BTS (soon to be in that area which is something we often forget) try to get the younger audience to like them.
which is fine, a lot of young people like Beyoncé BUT a lot of people VARIOUS ages like Beyoncé and if we are taking her as an example, she seems to target general audience.
while I feel like kpop is very youth-centred and I´m asking

what is your view on that?
should it change?
and how do you feel about people often being like "that´s so weird you listen to kpop when you are 25+" (and trust me, that happens)
no opinion is wrong, I guess. let our generations clash :D
its pop .

pop itself has been targeted to teens or the part of us that like aspects of that time. For generations.

I would say no do not change kpop its self.
Groups do grow, but the mostly true fact is adults just do not spend on music what the teens will. unless you achieve super cult status like say a grateful dead.
 
  • Like
Reactions: brekker

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread