source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...ner-wordpress-just-bought-site-fraction-that/
"Tumblr, the onetime darling of social media, sold for a whopping $1.1 billion in 2013. On Monday, in perhaps the latest mark of its decline, the site was reportedly bought for just $3 million."
Tumblr was originally made and owned by David Karp who was only 20 years old when he made tumblr to compete with Wordpress which blog options he didn't find satisfactory. In 2013, Yahoo bought Tumblr for $1.1 billion and later it was acquired by Verizon that took over Yahoo.
This August, Automaticc which also owns Wordpress bought umblr for less than 3 million .
Some reasons for this downgrade was hard competition against other social media sites, but also nudity ban that tumblr launched last year and which alienated large portion of it's audience. Automaticc plans to keep the ban in place though so no hope for nsfw fanartists and porn blogs yet.
--
Tbh, i'm all sad, deadpan and feeling schadenfreude over this. Tumblr is probably my favorite social media site (if forums don't count), i always liked the anonymity and creativity of the place. I felt like the nudity ban was not improvement no matter how it might sound like good idea it didn't stop porn bots I still get spam dms from those and those who suffered most from it were fanartists- especially when the nudity ban does still not work properly and marks all kinds of things as "boobs". I don't really use tumblr anymore, but for longest time it was big part of my life, it was first place i met plp from kpop fandom and found kpop content, I even went through all the posts that had been made with big bang tag.. it was possible back then.. But well, it's not the same anymore so I guess all things come to end eventually.
Let's play small violin for slowly dying tumblr
"Tumblr, the onetime darling of social media, sold for a whopping $1.1 billion in 2013. On Monday, in perhaps the latest mark of its decline, the site was reportedly bought for just $3 million."
Tumblr was originally made and owned by David Karp who was only 20 years old when he made tumblr to compete with Wordpress which blog options he didn't find satisfactory. In 2013, Yahoo bought Tumblr for $1.1 billion and later it was acquired by Verizon that took over Yahoo.
This August, Automaticc which also owns Wordpress bought umblr for less than 3 million .
Some reasons for this downgrade was hard competition against other social media sites, but also nudity ban that tumblr launched last year and which alienated large portion of it's audience. Automaticc plans to keep the ban in place though so no hope for nsfw fanartists and porn blogs yet.
--
Tbh, i'm all sad, deadpan and feeling schadenfreude over this. Tumblr is probably my favorite social media site (if forums don't count), i always liked the anonymity and creativity of the place. I felt like the nudity ban was not improvement no matter how it might sound like good idea it didn't stop porn bots I still get spam dms from those and those who suffered most from it were fanartists- especially when the nudity ban does still not work properly and marks all kinds of things as "boobs". I don't really use tumblr anymore, but for longest time it was big part of my life, it was first place i met plp from kpop fandom and found kpop content, I even went through all the posts that had been made with big bang tag.. it was possible back then.. But well, it's not the same anymore so I guess all things come to end eventually.
Let's play small violin for slowly dying tumblr