- Joined
- 18 November 2018
- Messages
- 13,505
- Reactions Received
- 41,701
- Location
- Estonia
- Cards
- View Profile
- KS Coins
- 514
- Gender
- Non-Binary
- Pronouns
- He/They
- Ship
- Wreck
So now I have taken time to listen to all the tracks and these are my thoughts.
It's an alright album, but far from EXO's best. This isn't no Don't mess up my Tempo, this is no The War, but I wouldn't call it their worst either.
Now onto the tracks themselves.
Obsession 8/10
I like it more than Tempo or even Love Shot. I absolutely ADORE the I want you in the background, it suits the song amazingly well! At time I felt though that the song could've used some more powerful vocals to emphasise and give contrast to the more chanty parts. The rap is some of the best if not the best EXO has ever had.
Trouble 9/10
At the start of the song I didn't like it that much, but as the song went on I got more and more into it. I love the chorus and the vocals are really beautiful. At times it almost sounds like the vocals and rap are dragging behind the beat, which is very interesting and I THINK I like it... I'm not quite sure yet though, which is where that 1 missing point goes. The high note in the end by Chen is truly AMAZING and was an excellent culmination for the song.
Jekyll 8/10
Not a big fan of the chanting in this song... Otherwise I LOVE the song! But the chanting really takes away from it a lot in my opinion. In some parts the chanting sounds alright, but in the chorus it goes on for WAYY TOO long. EXO's voices are PERFECT for this though, Suho and Chanyeol's voices fit this song hauntingly well!
With the chanting though, I have a feeling if I get used to it, I might like it a lot more... So this song has potential to rise to a 9/10 or even a 10/10
Groove 5/10
It's boring... At times kinda sounds like elevator music.
Ya Ya Ya 6/10
A slightly less boring Groove
Baby You Are 10/10
I LOVE IT. I didn't expect that it would be going where it went, but it gives me major nostalgic vibes that just hit differently! I can imagine listening to this song on loop while on a busride or smth like that! The background music is very repetative, but throughtout the track it never gets boring. It's a really nice casual song to listen to!
Non Stop 7/10
A more boring Baby You Are... It is somehow missing the energy Baby You Are has while trying to go for a similar sound. Maybe it would seem better if it didn't come right after Baby You Are on the album... Because it hits a very similar spot in the terms of sound while not being as good... That makes it seem kind of lacking compared to Baby You Are.
Day After Day 7/10
It's a much-needed slower song, but it doesn't sound like a song I would put on when I just want to sit down and relax or sleep. It has too many of these fast parts that are really distracting. Those fast sections and some interesting rythms keep the song from being boring like Ya Ya Ya or Groove, but they also take away from the potential this song had to be a song that is easy to listen to and enjoy.
Butterfly Effect 7/10
This song needed those interesting rythms Day After Day had to make it more engaging. It is quite a good song, but at times can get TOO samey. It's in a weird gray space of ALMOST being something I would really love, but coming just short of it... I can't even quite explain what it is it's missing, but when listening to it at times I get almost bored of it... but I really like the melody....
It's an alright album, but far from EXO's best. This isn't no Don't mess up my Tempo, this is no The War, but I wouldn't call it their worst either.
Now onto the tracks themselves.
Obsession 8/10
I like it more than Tempo or even Love Shot. I absolutely ADORE the I want you in the background, it suits the song amazingly well! At time I felt though that the song could've used some more powerful vocals to emphasise and give contrast to the more chanty parts. The rap is some of the best if not the best EXO has ever had.
Trouble 9/10
At the start of the song I didn't like it that much, but as the song went on I got more and more into it. I love the chorus and the vocals are really beautiful. At times it almost sounds like the vocals and rap are dragging behind the beat, which is very interesting and I THINK I like it... I'm not quite sure yet though, which is where that 1 missing point goes. The high note in the end by Chen is truly AMAZING and was an excellent culmination for the song.
Jekyll 8/10
Not a big fan of the chanting in this song... Otherwise I LOVE the song! But the chanting really takes away from it a lot in my opinion. In some parts the chanting sounds alright, but in the chorus it goes on for WAYY TOO long. EXO's voices are PERFECT for this though, Suho and Chanyeol's voices fit this song hauntingly well!
With the chanting though, I have a feeling if I get used to it, I might like it a lot more... So this song has potential to rise to a 9/10 or even a 10/10
Groove 5/10
It's boring... At times kinda sounds like elevator music.
Ya Ya Ya 6/10
A slightly less boring Groove
Baby You Are 10/10
I LOVE IT. I didn't expect that it would be going where it went, but it gives me major nostalgic vibes that just hit differently! I can imagine listening to this song on loop while on a busride or smth like that! The background music is very repetative, but throughtout the track it never gets boring. It's a really nice casual song to listen to!
Non Stop 7/10
A more boring Baby You Are... It is somehow missing the energy Baby You Are has while trying to go for a similar sound. Maybe it would seem better if it didn't come right after Baby You Are on the album... Because it hits a very similar spot in the terms of sound while not being as good... That makes it seem kind of lacking compared to Baby You Are.
Day After Day 7/10
It's a much-needed slower song, but it doesn't sound like a song I would put on when I just want to sit down and relax or sleep. It has too many of these fast parts that are really distracting. Those fast sections and some interesting rythms keep the song from being boring like Ya Ya Ya or Groove, but they also take away from the potential this song had to be a song that is easy to listen to and enjoy.
Butterfly Effect 7/10
This song needed those interesting rythms Day After Day had to make it more engaging. It is quite a good song, but at times can get TOO samey. It's in a weird gray space of ALMOST being something I would really love, but coming just short of it... I can't even quite explain what it is it's missing, but when listening to it at times I get almost bored of it... but I really like the melody....