Sensitive Fatshaming of kpop idols (and anyone in general) needs to stop. (1 Viewer)

Joined
10 February 2021
Messages
22
Reactions Received
45
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Trigger Warning: Mentions of Fatshaming, Discrimination and Cyberbullying. Please read at your own discretion.

Hello luvs :),
First off, thank you for the very warm welcome I have received since arriving here. You guys are awesome!

By nature, I love kpop. It is one of the best things I have ever discovered in my life. It brings me so much joy, and I know all of you can relate as well.

However, while we acknowledge the good, we also have to acknowledge the bad as well. I personally am obsessed with philosophy and sociology, so I tend to apply the two when I analyzing the social construct that makes up kpop as a whole.

One thing that really pains the depths of my being, is when an idol (or anyone as a matter of fact), is fatshamed. We all know being a kpop idol is not easy (especially for female idols but that's a whole other topic), they go through so much and make so many sacrifices for us as their fans, which is so admirable. However.... it is also very concerning at the same time.

One of those sacrifices being their overall health. Some kpop idols undergo extreme diets to attain the ideal "aesthetic" that is considered appealing to the kpop masses. Some of these diets even being life threatening. One example of this being Momo of Twice.

Around when Twice first debuted, Momo only ate nothing but ice for 3 days straight, as she wanted to make a good first impression to fans. The most frightening thing is, I remember her saying that she was afraid she wouldnt wake up after falling asleep, due to the toll it took on her body. I almost cried when reading this. These idols deserve so much credit for the lengths they go to do their job. It's like sometimes they even forget they are human, and that is the hurtful part.

Even more hurtful? Is that some fans do as well apparently.

It is no secret that Korean beauty standards are harsh, almost unrealistic actually. This bleeds into kpop culture as well. Idols have to attain flawless features as it is a part of their job. The problem is like I said again.

It is almost unrealistic.

From a biological standpoint, all humans do not have the same body type. Some people may be slim and find it easy to lose weight and hard to gain. While for others it may be vice versa. Aspects such as genetics,hormones, gender etc, play a huge part in this. So I find that when people hate on an idol for having a little more body fat than another, is purely ignorant.

In our society (depends on which culture/country you're from), we were always taught that skinny equates to beauty, and that fat equates to ugly. Not taking in other aspects such as biological make up. That's the thing.... it lacks logic. Everyone's just about the "aesthetic."

Why not promote good health instead? Skinny does not always equate to healthy, and Fat does not always equate to unhealthy. Just because someone is fat, does not mean they are unhealthy and vice versa.

When you fatshame an idol (or anyone in general), that really messes them up on a mental and emotional state. We're so quick to judge and point fingers, whether we're coplimenting or discriminating. However...we never really stand back and ask ourselves what that idol (or person) did to attain that size... or how hard they're trying.

I will end off this post with one last statement.

Let's not be too harsh on our idols. They try their absolute best, so ya know what? If one of them decided to gain a little more weight, let's celebrate! Cause then we know they are eating healthily, and ultimately, healthy equates to happy!

Thanks for reading luvs, stay hydrated and most importantly, stay gucci.

f388a0f18713d47339fcc249866240dc.jpg
 

Attachments

eclipsoul

that one friend that's too woke
.
.
Joined
14 October 2019
Messages
25,595
Reactions Received
43,660
Location
too embarassed to show that country here
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
40,408
Fandom
Orbit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
first of all welcome to ks! i hope you like it here. i fully agree with all that you said, i often avoid reading stories of idols dieting because it reminds me a lot of my personal struggles with losing weight a few years ago which was an awful time for me but i remember hearing that story with momo eating ice and i was absolutely terrified why anyone would make her do something like that, don't even get me started on the fact that there were people who were somehow still defending their company in this situation. the fact that idols (mainly girl groups) often shared that they eat like one meal a day and how normalised it has been because "it is the way it is" scares me to say the least. especially since most of the idols who are active right now are either in their late teens or early 20s and starving themselves for their career will have a negative impact on both their physical and mental health in a longer term. of course i'm not saying that losing weight is bad in itself because that would be ridiculous but there are much healthier ways to approach it than shaming someone for their outer appearance and making them starve.
 
  • Like
Reactions: philosophiKally

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
The part you mentioned about skinny not equalling healthy is soooo true. I eat a lot, and like most Asians, I have a very high metabolism. However, due to my unhealthy eating habits, I tend not to gain any weight but a variety of health problems, such as acidity. KPOP fans need to get their heads out of stan twitter and educate themselves a bit.

Amazing thread!
 
  • Like
Reactions: philosophiKally
Joined
10 February 2021
Messages
22
Reactions Received
45
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
The part you mentioned about skinny not equalling healthy is soooo true. I eat a lot, and like most Asians, I have a very high metabolism. However, due to my unhealthy eating habits, I tend not to gain any weight but a variety of health problems, such as acidity. KPOP fans need to get their heads out of stan twitter and educate themselves a bit.

Amazing thread!
Thank you luv!
I think it is important for us as kpop idols to educate ourselves on an industry that has some many layers as it can be vague. So I definitely agree :)
 
  • Love
Reactions: Mayday
Joined
10 February 2021
Messages
22
Reactions Received
45
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
first of all welcome to ks! i hope you like it here. i fully agree with all that you said, i often avoid reading stories of idols dieting because it reminds me a lot of my personal struggles with losing weight a few years ago which was an awful time for me but i remember hearing that story with momo eating ice and i was absolutely terrified why anyone would make her do something like that, don't even get me started on the fact that there were people who were somehow still defending their company in this situation. the fact that idols (mainly girl groups) often shared that they eat like one meal a day and how normalised it has been because "it is the way it is" scares me to say the least. especially since most of the idols who are active right now are either in their late teens or early 20s and starving themselves for their career will have a negative impact on both their physical and mental health in a longer term. of course i'm not saying that losing weight is bad in itself because that would be ridiculous but there are much healthier ways to approach it than shaming someone for their outer appearance and making them starve.
I agree as well, and I'm sorry you went througu that luv, no one deserves to be looked down upon, especially when they are struggling. I think humanizing kpop idols should be normalized, as it seems some fans lose just that.... humanity. They are so quick to judge them (especially physically), without thinking from their perspective. This is something that definitely needs to change.

I hope you're at a stage in your life now, where you're happier with who you are luv :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread