(G)I-dle's Yuqi personally apologizes for "colorist" controversy (1 Viewer)

Joined
14 July 2019
Messages
2,532
Reactions Received
8,405
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Although it was originally a mistranslation from a fan, she still apologizes! She's awesome!

Source: (G)I-DLE's Yuqi Personally Apologizes For "Colorist" Controversy

(G)I-DLE’s Yuqi Personally Apologizes For “Colorist” Controversy

“I am learning important lessons about the world every day”



(G)I-DLE‘s Yuqi was recently under fire for allegedly making a colorist comment towards fellow member Shuhua. She stated in a broadcast that Shuhua was too white to be a police officer who catches criminals at night.



Her fansite who posted the original tweet that garnered attention later admitted she had mistranslated the broadcast. As of November 20, (G)I-DLE’s Yuqi personally apologized as well.
Yuqi3


She apologized in her fancafe an apology towards fans who were hurt by her words.

Hello,
I’m Yuqi from (G)I-DLE. I want to apologize deeply and sincerely to any fans who were hurt and saddened by my comments to Shuhua during VLive.
– Yuqi


She stated that she had learned her lesson about being more careful with her words.

I am learning important lessons about the world every day and this incident showed me that I still have so much more to learn. It is a lesson I take into my heart.
– Yuqi


Yuqi was very thankful to her fans who stayed by her side during the controversy.

Thank you for your endless support for (G)I-DLE and Yuqi and thank you for supporting me through this time.
– Yuqi


She promised to improve herself and become someone her fans can be proud of.

I return your love and support by showing you all the love and awareness that you have shown me. I know that as I become more educated that I will express myself properly and show you that I am becoming a better person.
– Yuqi
In response to her post, fans immediately came to Yuqi’s support. They hoped that her apology could garner the same amount of attention as the controversy did in the first place.





Check out the full English version of her apology below:

Yuqi4
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Jokes are hard to translate with full context and still be funny.
I'm surprised she was even aware of this.
It really wasn't necessary for her to apologize or the fan that translated it tbh
 
Joined
9 September 2018
Messages
648
Reactions Received
1,472
Location
Earth-51
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
it's the concept of "punching up" in comedy. this is an example.
like you can make fun of rich people for being ridiculous but not poor people -that's punching down.
in the same way, making fun of a darker skinned person in korea is punching down, probably not in good taste, since their society prefers pale people. making fun of someone for being pale? that would be punching up in korean society. like it's not the best joke in the world but i hardly think it's offensive.
 

Sourcekeeper

Tech Support
.
.
.
Joined
25 August 2018
Messages
6,830
Reactions Received
28,465
Location
YG Entertainment
Website
kpopsource.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
26,616
Fandom
MONSTIEZ
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She / Her / Hers
This is what i dislike about kpop the most, the cancel culture is disgusting, people can be quick to judge someone and these same people will never apologize for saying what they said even when its found out not to be true.
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,388
Reactions Received
151,400
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
it's the concept of "punching up" in comedy. this is an example.
like you can make fun of rich people for being ridiculous but not poor people -that's punching down.
in the same way, making fun of a darker skinned person in korea is punching down, probably not in good taste, since their society prefers pale people. making fun of someone for being pale? that would be punching up in korean society. like it's not the best joke in the world but i hardly think it's offensive.
She didnt make fun of pale people, it was a mistranslation by a fan. She said that shuas bright complexion would make her stand out at night, but the fan translated it as you're to pale to be a police officer because you couldn't catch criminals at night.
 

dooh

Jensetter <3 Jennie
.
Joined
14 November 2018
Messages
2,778
Reactions Received
11,243
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
So it was a mistranslation......
Also this political correctness word monitoring is getting a little out of hand in general, seems like no one can even joke around without being called a ism or ist. It's labeling and ruining people's reputation for nothing.
noting to add here, what world we live in :pandaannoyed:
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
it‘s sad that she felt like she needed to apologise
 

eclipsoul

that one friend that's too woke
.
.
Joined
14 October 2019
Messages
25,597
Reactions Received
43,660
Location
too embarassed to show that country here
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
40,428
Fandom
Orbit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
that's good for her i guess. however it makes me slightly sad and disappointed that she felt the need to apologise when she did nothing wrong and it was a mistranslation which was not yuqi's fault at all. if anything, it's those people who "cancelled" her over this that should apologise.
 
Joined
9 September 2018
Messages
648
Reactions Received
1,472
Location
Earth-51
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
She didnt make fun of pale people, it was a mistranslation by a fan. She said that shuas bright complexion would make her stand out at night, but the fan translated it as you're to pale to be a police officer because you couldn't catch criminals at night.
my mistake. this makes it this even more ridiculous imo. why don’t people have same energy for idols when they actually do offensive things??
:wimwim:
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,239
Reactions Received
76,669
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,772
Ship
Wreck
I mean it's ridiculous to be SJW about a joke like that, people are so frightened of offending anyone nowadays that either the slightest thing makes them go berserk and it may be a persons right to be offended but that doesn't make them right as I could be offended about you existing but that doesn't mean you should do anything about it, i'm the one who'd have to do something about that because i'm not being reasonable.

People who read the statement in a racist way were the ones who made it about race and then it turned out to not even be the right message which she apologised for anyway but are the people who actually cancelled her really going to care?
 
  • Like
Reactions: eclipsoul and yeji

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread