Has Taeyeon Transition From Idol To Artist? (1 Viewer)

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,256
Reactions Received
76,671
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,870
Ship
Wreck
Artist is just a word used as a way to show superiority however just because you create your own songs does not mean you are automatically good so it's a dumb power play.

You can be like LE and create a song like Up & Down or you can be Pristin and create a song like Wee Woo. While Taeyeon might not be an artist and Sunmi is, that doesn't stop Sunmi being able to put out her own Something New which she can't blame on anyone else unlike Taeyeon.
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
Artist is just a word used as a way to show superiority however just because you create your own songs does not mean you are automatically good so it's a dumb power play.

You can be like LE and create a song like Up & Down or you can be Pristin and create a song like Wee Woo. While Taeyeon might not be an artist and Sunmi is, that doesn't stop Sunmi being able to put out her own Something New which she can't blame on anyone else unlike Taeyeon.
She did. It's called Noir :welp:
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
Noir is not as bad as Something New but it's definitely not the right direction :welp:
Don't remember what both sound like because I only listened to half the songs and was like "nope" :welp:
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,256
Reactions Received
76,671
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,870
Ship
Wreck
Don't remember what both sound like because I only listened to half the songs and was like "nope" :welp:
All I remember is thinking Something New was horrid and Noir was.. okay
 
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
227
Reactions Received
1,002
Location
exoplanet
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Just her passion for singing alone makes her more than an idol imo. She's so incredibly passionate and it shows. She's said herself her wish is just to be healthy and able to sing for a long time.

She also have a lot to say when it comes to musical direction even though she doesn't write. For example SM didn't want I Got Love and Secret, but Taeyeon did and held onto them and got to release them when she wanted to - IGL even got a music video despite SM not feeling it, just because Taeyeon herself liked the song. So SM is in fact not directing her alone. It's not like she just sits there and doesn't care about music and sings whatever she gets without passion. She really do care and make important decisions musically. SM has a lot of respect for her for a reason. I still remember the comment from Amber: " Taeyeon unnie can do whatever she wants" after the interviewer asked if Taeyeon didn't have to talk with the company before accepting to feature on Amber's song lol.

Just watching her concerts I don't get the "idol vibe", it's a talented and passionate woman, singer and artist.

Damn I had a lot to say about this lol :hmm:
 

arieam

.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
1,232
Reactions Received
5,247
Location
Canada
Website
youtube.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
i would say taeyeon has surpassed "idol". i feel like if it were 100% up to sm she wouldn't get the variety she has rn in her music. i think she works hard with her creative team and even though she doesn't contribute in her music, sometimes it's better that way. sometimes people aren't meant to write lyrics to certain songs *COUGHGHG*

but i watch something like this and just see how much she's grown as an artist. she's not in a box anymore.

 

arieam

.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
1,232
Reactions Received
5,247
Location
Canada
Website
youtube.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Honestly, I don’t really think it’s fair to call SNSD an “idol group” anymore. They're just a group. All of the girls have really become adults and have found what paths they want to go down. They’ve grown up a lot.
we should just call them legends and leave it at that
 

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
This is kind of a tough question tbh. I'm not exactly sure how to answer it either. Whether Taeyeon writes her own music or not, she still puts so much emotion and effort into her songs. She doesn't half-ass any of it. Artist or idol, I'll support her either way.
 

mirella

✧✦ soloist akgae ✦✧
.
Joined
9 November 2018
Messages
1,859
Reactions Received
13,182
Location
Pacifika
Website
www.last.fm
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L?
Gender
Female
Ship
Wreck
Taeyeon's vocal abilities are excellent, that in itself should be considered an art.

I think the artist vs. idol argument is silly. We should honestly just stop referring to people with the 'idol' term derogatorily.

If you're a soloist rapper, lyrics probably matter a lot more, but these are idols we're talking about, who are primarily meant to sing and dance and entertain. Their efforts aren't any less just because they don't write.

I hate people who claim certain idols have "transcended the idol world and are real artists." It just reeks of desperation and superiority complex. (This is coming from someone who LOVES self-composing groups.)
 
D

Deleted member 74

I don't really know what to call her, she was obviously an idol since she was in an idol group before. She doesn't make her own songs, but has a say in the music put out and does so well in conveying emotions in the songs as if it's her own when she's singing. I would call her an artist, but I'm probably not the best person to ask since I'm so biased to her :pandahappy:
 
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
45,091
Reactions Received
52,957
Location
Rosé's World
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
172,224
Fandom
GoldenStar
Gender
Male
My take is influenced by the western music scene - my faves are indie singer-songwriters like Suzanne Vega, Tori Amos, Rachael Yamagata n Vienna Teng. There r others but that's a sample.
Beyoncé some would argue pop singer--> artist (in the sense of OP.)
I just don't understand the argument, if Sunmi is considered a new artist then why not Taeyeon? I believe both r under their management's constraints. Whether broad or narrow, if Sunmi wrote her own songs n the company didn't think it was commercial enuf n she exited the company to release her own composition n lyrics cos she believed in her creative prowess, I'd agree she's an artist n not Taeyeon.
But let's be realistic, Sunmi now is packaged as much as Taeyeon by their respective managements, just Tae is one thing n Sunmi is another (artist). Their artistry is in how much n how well they perform their roles-(not judging them, how much they agree/conform to fans ideas is not part of artistry, imo)- Idol vs Artist is subjective, I would consider Tae just as much an artist as Sunmi for how much artistry she brings to her art-concerts, albums n such.
But I've studied fine arts n consider performance, dada, surrealism n various 20th n 21st century movements to be real Art, there are so much arguments there.
TLDR-Art is subjective, I consider Taeyeon an artist in music world.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Simple definition of artist for me is someone who creates and is charge of their art. I would throw in another definition on top of Idol and artist - singer, someone who performs songs, but is not as much of product and entertainer than idol.

So is Taeyeon artist or singer for me? Im not quite sure. I personally value songwriting highly as part of someones artistry. But i guess she can still Be on charge of her art despite others writing for her. Who knows what her Part of decisionmaking is.

And well artistry for me is also artist having their own sound and vision. I think Taeyeon has those.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
72
Reactions Received
231
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
So I saw this argument in the YT comment section (:pepecross:) between this Sunmi fan and obvs a Taengoo fan. The argument was Sunmi transitioned from Idol to Artist when she wrote and composed her own stuff for Siren and Noir. However, apparently, Taeyeon still has top line producers writing for her and SM still directing her musical path so therefore, she's very much an Idol rather than Artist.
-
What's your take on that argument?
-
For me, I don't think it really matters much if you write your own music or not. I mean sure, it might make the record more personal but I feel like Taeyeon delivers the same emotion through her vocals, regardless of whether those words came out of her thoughts or not. As for the idol/artist thing, tbh I'm not really sure how to answer that. I feel like there's some negative connotation that comes behind saying; "sure Taeyeon is still an idol", which is ridiculous.​
Taeyeon is both idol Snsd and an artist as a soloist.

She has always been an artist ever since she went solo because apart from singing professionally, she contributes in the process of making her music.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
72
Reactions Received
231
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
That's tough :hmm:
She doesn't contribute to her own stuff but a lot of singers don't.

I personally just don't see her as an idol anymore. She doesn't do fan service, she doesn't really market herself off in an idol way.
She just sings.
She's a singer at the very least, even if you don't consider her an artist.
She does contribute, she said she wrote some "I" lyrics and recently when talking about her latest release, she said she chooses what songs she wants her album depending on best the song suits to be on the album etc only artist can do that.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
72
Reactions Received
231
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Simple definition of artist for me is someone who creates and is charge of their art. I would throw in another definition on top of Idol and artist - singer, someone who performs songs, but is not as much of product and entertainer than idol.

So is Taeyeon artist or singer for me? Im not quite sure. I personally value songwriting highly as part of someones artistry. But i guess she can still Be on charge of her art despite others writing for her. Who knows what her Part of decisionmaking is.

And well artistry for me is also artist having their own sound and vision. I think Taeyeon has those.
Well said, this is very true.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread