Horrible Books (1 Viewer)

Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
Irritating characters, and especially over-detailed books. Sure detailed books are nice, but things that are overly-detailed are boring, stretched out, and give people headaches.
I'd say not to read IT then. Not that its a bad book, per say, but it rather a chore to read. There are sections that really is much ado about nothing, such as an introspective piece about a woman (who is in one scene in the book) being on about her Jewish identity for too many pages. I almost gave up as I read it. So boring and annoying. Also, there are descriptions of people doing menial tasks like going through their day that don't pertain to the story that was a snore. Having said that, I enjoyed most of it. But Stephen King does get away with a lot because of his status as a prolific writer (which others may disagree on).

Also, I have heard book editors say that gratuitous detail is a faux pas and should be avoided and yet venerated authors (i.e. Charles Dickens) employed them. So, I think if authors are new people are more likely to pick at them for these errors than established authors. I have seen, Stephen King, for example, do the same things others hate new authors for doing and they say, "Well, he does it the right way." However, if I may go on a tangent, I don't think many of the new generation would feel secure if I gave them a copy of it or under the dome, as both of them are over 1000 pages. There's detail and then there's established authors who have paragraphs that last two pages that I could care less about. In short, I do agree with you here in that some books, if you took out the droning detail that is unnecessary, you very well could have a book that is much smaller.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mayday
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
As much as I could get through!
I'm still on Eye of the World, about 80 percent finished with it. I found various parts boring, but not that bad. Although I have heard the middle books are boring and don't do much to advance the plot.

@RandAlThor I'm sure you've read them all. Are the middle books that bad?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread