I don't understand why people call 2nd get kpop the "golden age" (1 Viewer)

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,388
Reactions Received
151,400
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Might be an unpopular opinion to some, but I don't see what was better about it.

The music: Some people prefer it. I and other people don't. Saying that the music was better as a justification is not a good one because it depends on the person.

The fanwars: People act like they didn't exist. What about SNSD's black ocean? The physical fights that happened sometimes? It may not have been as obvious and vocal, but it happened.

The fans: They act like they were angels back then. Again, SNSD's black ocean and not to mention a TVXQ member being poisoned. The fans were no better, it's only if you look with rose tinted glasses that you think it's better.

The companies: There's a lot of abuse that goes on in kpop companies. This applies both now and back then, but there's (theoretically) more protections in place now. Yes it's theoretically but it's a good start.

What do you think? Do you think 2nd gen was better for some reasons, or do you think it's the same, just more vocal in the west because it wasn't online as much?
 
Joined
1 June 2019
Messages
4,641
Reactions Received
11,710
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
5
Fandom
EXO-L
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
It's all the same except now international fans have a huge voice and some sjw make it heck for everyone else most times.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka
Joined
1 June 2019
Messages
4,641
Reactions Received
11,710
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
5
Fandom
EXO-L
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
I personally think it was the "golden age" in terms of idols being able to interact with each other. Especially the opposite genders. They had shows like Strong Heart where we could all know about the bts relationships of the idols. Heck Yoona bagged herself a super amazing bf because of their interactions in the show! Shows like running man invited idols from different groups and everyone had fun together. These days everyone just sticks to their own group and doesn't openly mingle with the opposite sex because either 1. Some people ship them and go waaay over the line or 2. They're attacked by the netizens, viciously at that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Drew_B and Ahsoka

Tickita

𝒜𝓃 𝒾𝓃𝓋𝒾𝓃𝒸𝒾𝒷𝓁𝑒 𝓈𝓊𝓂𝓂𝑒𝓇.
.
.
.
Joined
30 January 2020
Messages
26,480
Reactions Received
39,142
Location
We're no strangers to love.
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
41,434
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she, her, mrrp
The music: Some people prefer it. I and other people don't. Saying that the music was better as a justification is not a good one because it depends on the person.
I agree. It's all about preferences. I don't like songs with drops but it doesn't them horrible.

Still only speaking from the music aspect, they probably base it off of how current idols are influenced by older idols, and how they cover older songs. But it's normal to have influences and cover old songs. There will be a 5th gen group inspired by BTS.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
It's different. Idols were able to interact a bit more freely during that age hence all of the idol dating shows or shows like that-fans weren't as nutty about it. Though of course there were SOME but I think that culture became more pronounced with the later part of 2nd gen and with the 3rd gen. I think there was also more reality with 2nd gen idols. It feels like 3rd gen and 4th gen are really forced to be perfect and it's just...meh.

I like the music from all generations tbh so I wouldn't say that but I think fan wars are more notable now because of how much and how many people have access to the internet now. So I know they were around back then and some pretty bad sasaengs were around back then too. So I guess I'm mixed on this one.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
8,028
Reactions Received
19,590
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ship
One word : nostalgia and sometimes a superiority complex.

I am both a a second and three generation stan and I think that the music was better back then but it’s still just my opinion.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka

Drew_B

.
Joined
2 March 2019
Messages
5,950
Reactions Received
15,071
Location
USA
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
2,849
Fandom
MeU
Gender
Male
For me second gen is the golden age because it was the point where kpop went from being mostly local, to global.

Also because the resurgence in 2007 through 2012 wasnt oversaturated. Every single boy and girl group during this time period left a mark on the industry. There was no throwaway groups.

SM (the most important label of all time) was also at its peak during second gen. TVXQ, Super Junior, SHINee, SNSD, f(x). All debuted before the turn of the decade and their influence is unimaginable.

The collabs between boy and girl groups were amazing and just cant be done the same way anymore (if at all).

YouTubes lack of impact due to its infancy. Nobody cared or argued about their groups views compared to someone else faves.

And most importantly for me... the music was just catchier and better produced. It just felt like more chances were taken with the sound and style of comebacks. Overall variety I guess.

One of the best songs that defines 2nd gen for me is this.


This type of sound and imagery is my favorite. It's so unique and otherworldly compared to the boring stuff that's been released since 2016.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka and Emanresu

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
In my view 2nd generation was the golden age because it was the perfect storm of sorts.

Kpop was open enough that international audiences could participate.

But still local enough that the epicenter and zeitgeist of kpop was still centered on a Korea.

This allowed a perfect balance of accessibility and opportunity for an international audience to be a part of things.

But not at the cost of Korean determination.

Kpop still was "out of step" with the international pop market and retained many idiosyncrasies and Korean cultural charm that made the environment and output often very distinct and clearly its own despite kpop being an industry with clear influences from Western pop.

Now the kpop landscape is often driven by international trend and marked by a heirarchy that no longer has Asia as hegemon, with a Korean public that is less involved than before.

I think this has harmed the differentiation and charm of kpop to a large degree.


And why I would consider 2nd gen the golden era.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread