If another group had released Twice's 'I Can't Stop Me' do you think it would have been a hit? (1 Viewer)

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
I know it sounds crazy, I mean, if Twice can't make it a hit who can? But I really think 'I Can't Stop Me' is a hit level song. The only issue is, the general public don't want mature Twice, they want cute Twice and considering they didn't even peak in the top 10, it's obvious that the general public didn't even bother to listen to the song. I mean, their UL count was less than 250k which was even less that RV SeulRene who debuted as a UNIT (they had 400k+ day 1).

So my theory is, if a group that already has a mature image that the public has accepted, idk maybe like Mamamoo or RV (Velvet side), I think the song would have been HUGE. I honestly don't care for Twice at all but the song is so good. Honestly, it's one of the best releases of the year and I even like it better than all the songs my faves released this year minus Psycho if that counts as a 2020 release. I have literally had it on repeat since release. And it seems most others who listened to it also loved it. So I really can't believe that people think it's a bad song, it's just that the public does not want mature Twice so they're not even bothering to listen to their songs. I guess that's the downside of having a clear cut image and sound and blowing up with it. Same happened to GFriend of the new gen top girl groups and SNSD of old gen.

What do you guys think?



@Once @Girl Group​
 

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
Also I'm not saying that I Can't Stop Me is a song that would suit MMM or RV. I think it suits Twice perfectly. It's just that they marketed it as a more mature concept which the girls dressed in suits and serious looks rather than their usual cute outfits and smiles. If they had debuted with that more serious concept rather than their refreshing/cute concept and hit big, then I think this song would have been accepted by the public. But because it's the opposite of what the general public fell for, they're not accepting it. So I'm wondering if a group with a more mature concept had done it, would have have been a hit.

Like it's still a catchy pop song that Twice usually releases but THE CONCEPT is different. And that's what's inhibiting the success of the song in my opinion.
 

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
Yeah the song would really do well if some other group released it imo. It’s not a question of the song but the public’s expectations from the group and it seems the gp at large still isn’t ready to move on from cute Twice.

It’s why songs like DTNA have had such insane longevity despite being a vastly inferior song to ICSM imo. The way this underperformed on charts really surprised me, even the worst charting Itzy title outcharted this which I didn’t expect.

Regardless Twice is at a point where they really don’t need to worry anymore about stats and achievements since they’ve done it all and wil likely never be surpassed in many years so hopefully they stick to this direction and keep putting out music they identify with more. If it’s anything like ICSM I’ll love it.
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,239
Reactions Received
76,669
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,772
Ship
Wreck
Potentially yes but also potentially no as we're in a digital decline and interest in groups as a whole is different and lower than it was before and Twices charting hasn't been their best for a while.

Mamamoo or Red Velvet have had shaky charting in the past too however their last comebacks did relatively well so the interest might've carried them into people checking it out.

Digitally speaking Kpop is in a bad position with public interest in groups as apart from BTS then only really Blackpink and Oh My Girl have done really well this year and we really need new groups rising to the occasion this late into a generation and we don't really have that.
 

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
Unpopular Opinion: I Can't Stop Me is just a poor man's La Di Da...
Whaaaaat? How? They sound nothing alike to me. :jisoosmh:
Both are my top girl group songs of the year though so maybe they do sound alike and I just haven't realised :dubuthink:
 

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Whaaaaat? How? They sound nothing alike to me. :jisoosmh:
Both are my top girl group songs of the year though so maybe they do sound alike and I just haven't realised :dubuthink:
The genre is exactly the same and I think Everglow's song is just a lot more impactful.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I'm surprised that it didn't do that well on charts. I could see it doing well internationally though because it has a Dua Lipa sound to it
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
honestly the gp will never be ready to move on from cute twice. this just proves it again and again
 
Joined
6 October 2020
Messages
4,797
Reactions Received
8,789
Location
at yo dining table eatin yo pizza
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
STARWOL
Gender
Female
how is this not a success? they got almost 80m views within 1 week
a lot of western artists can't do that

i really like the song too and the mv is GORG art wise
but i don't understand why there is a subway scene in it when the rest is so much more artistic
feels out of place
also, in the last outfits, momo is rocking it :sj_weary: :jisoosmh:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Suzy

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
how is this not a success? they got almost 80m views within 1 week
a lot of western artists can't do that

i really like the song too and the mv is GORG art wise
but i don't understand why there is a subway scene in it when the rest is so much more artistic
feels out of place
also, in the last outfits, momo is rocking it :sj_weary: :jisoosmh:
I wasn't talking about Youtube views, I was talking about the song's actual success on charts. They didn't peak in the top 20 on Melon which is a first for Twice and their unique listeners was less than 250k which is a lot less than the 600k+ they would usually get. It's clear that the public simply has not even bothered to listen to the song and I would say it's because of their concept change. They have a clear image about Twice they like and mature isn't it unfortunately. If they had given the song a chance though, it would have undoubtedly been a hit. It's one of their best songs.
 
Joined
6 October 2020
Messages
4,797
Reactions Received
8,789
Location
at yo dining table eatin yo pizza
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
STARWOL
Gender
Female
I wasn't talking about Youtube views, I was talking about the song's actual success on charts. They didn't peak in the top 20 on Melon which is a first for Twice and their unique listeners was less than 250k which is a lot less than the 600k+ they would usually get. It's clear that the public simply has not even bothered to listen to the song and I would say it's because of their concept change. They have a clear image about Twice they like and mature isn't it unfortunately. If they had given the song a chance though, it would have undoubtedly been a hit. It's one of their best songs.
so if i understand you correctly
this mv shows them in a mature way and not a cute way?
that is what other folks think?
:taeminface:

i clearly see cute faces and cute outfits and cute dancing
so :joshmeh::sj_weary:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Suzy

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
Seems they might start doing better slowly.

The song has climbed up to 18 on Melon Daily now, hope it continues to rise :sanapray:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread