if kpop groups want to expand to the west then they should be educated about our culture and issues (1 Viewer)

Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I’m not disagreeing with you in the fact that yeah sure ooo cultural sensitivity yeah blah blah blah, and I’m not saying it’s bad???
just??? What I think you’re saying you want makes no sense to me
Have a hypothetical idol. Say this idol, idk, hates black ppl. They debut and are looking to expand their audience
Now there are two situations here:
1. They don’t do their research. They expose themselves as racist and lose money, fans, etc. everyone now knows them as a racist idol and knows not to support them
2. They do their research and expand into the American market. No one knows they’re racist and now their black fans are unknowingly throwing money at someone who secretly hates them.
...well then no one can be a fan of anybody then if we go with that logic. for all, we know our faves hate us as fans and are trained to think that they like us as fans. kpop idols could hate japan but we would never know because they're trained to know what to say and what not to say. you cant live with that logic and still be a fan of any kpop group, or any other artist for that matter.
 
Joined
19 October 2018
Messages
1,452
Reactions Received
6,534
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Asian culture is a lot more polite than western people so that’s a reason why I don’t think we see a lot of hate towards Kpop idols. But with the racism thing, if Idol A was racist and didn’t know about the social differences because they weren’t from there and are just marketing for the company, that’s the company’s fault. However, if the idol personally chose to perform there and the company only agreed, it’s their fault. Honestly everybody should learn about the country they’re going to in general, but it’s the company’s fault if they didn’t do that. Not the idols lol
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
...well then no one can be a fan of anybody then if we go with that logic. for all, we know our faves hate us as fans and are trained to think that they like us as fans. kpop idols could hate japan but we would never know because they're trained to know what to say and what not to say. you cant live with that logic and still be a fan of any kpop group, or any other artist for that matter.
Don’t Koreans all hate japan anyway xddddd

but rlly, just like whatever. I hate politics touching art, no exceptions. I don’t live with the mindset I wrote last post bcuz I don’t care whatever the hell an idol believes in, just I think that it’s probably the thinking a little sjw would like
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Don’t Koreans all hate japan anyway xddddd

but rlly, just like whatever. I hate politics touching art, no exceptions. I don’t live with the mindset I wrote last post bcuz I don’t care whatever the hell an idol believes in, just I think that it’s probably the thinking a little sjw would like
not all koreans hate japan but both countries still have rough relations but japanese kpop fans dont think that their faves hate them the same way we dont think our faves hate us.
im not saying that kpop idols should be on the forefront of social issues but companies should educate them on the places they promote in to avoid doing something they would regret.
 

Panda

.
.
.
.
Joined
24 September 2018
Messages
8,755
Reactions Received
24,302
Location
Somewhere Near Bamboo
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
12
Fandom
Starlight
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
idk man, I think it's not necessary. Cause genuinely, what are you gonna teach?

"Here is some slangs that you can't say. This is the current US culture. Btw, half of the racism issues that exist are still dividing the nation by half so if it gets mentioned half the country will hate you no matter what." Essentially.

No offense, but how can you expect foreigners to be educated about the states when Americans lack that same understanding? and when half of poc issues are always argued over? Sure, there is some common grounds like police violence is horrible and no n-word usage. But a lot of the less harmful things are back and forth every day. What is considered cultural appropriation? When is something considered racist? When are you looking down at people?

And let's not forget. Countless POC people in America treat kpop idols with no respect either. I still see poc people call asians ching chong and dog eaters all the time.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
idk man, I think it's not necessary. Cause genuinely, what are you gonna teach?

"Here is some slangs that you can't say. This is the current US culture. Btw, half of the racism issues that exist are still dividing the nation by half so if it gets mentioned half the country will hate you no matter what." Essentially.

No offense, but how can you expect foreigners to be educated about the states when Americans lack that same understanding? and when half of poc issues are always argued over? Sure, there is some common grounds like police violence is horrible and no n-word usage. But a lot of the less harmful things are back and forth every day. What is considered cultural appropriation? When is something considered racist? When are you looking down at people?

And let's not forget. Countless POC people in America treat kpop idols with no respect either. I still see poc people call asians ching chong and dog eaters all the time.
I'm not asking them to be the forefront of social movements, I'm literally just asking companies to do the bare minimum and educate them about cultural differences so then they don't set themselves up to get hated on in the future when they say something ignorant or do something ignorant. I don't think kpop fans who want to educate their idols on what might be considered offensive arent asking them to know all about it. they're literally just asking them to know the bare minimum. I would expect the same thing if a western artist wanted to go over and become a star in Korea.
 
Last edited:

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Agreed but... the "west" is not like a country like Japan. There are many differences between the USA and Western European countries tho. I am all for people being educated in a country they visit (aka sustainable tourism) but it needs to go both ways. Beyoncé doesn't know anything about Belgian culture yet she performed here many times.
Tbh I also think that people need to realize that not every country has the same rules, culture, mannerisms, ... as theirs. How many American kpop fans I've seen who were shook that certain scandals like drugs are taken seriously by kpop fans who are from countries were no drugs are allowed astonishing. Some of them didn't even know that drugs are actually banned in countries (yes I know it's weird that these exist).
There actually has been issues of American artists coming to my country and using drugs here. One rapper posted pics in instagram about smoking joint in Finnish hotel. He left the country just before police caught him. Although the drug laws are less harsh here than in Korea, marihuana is still illegal.

I remember also Miley Cyrus smoking joint in middle of EMA- european music awards. It was held in Netherlands where drug use is ok, but EMA is aired live around Europe where its not ok. It was extremely insensitive of her.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
it's a give and take. obviously some bare knowledge needs to be there but we can't force someone to do something. we have no power of what someone ( in this case celeb) do. there really is no right or wrong. we all gotta be more understanding and stop screaming wolf as soon as something happens that wasn't even as bad as some make it out to be.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
In the topic, i have to say that I agree to extent. Kpop idols should get some education what is ok in country and what is not when they perform/promote there.

For example I think it was Justin Biever who got in trouble in South American country for accidentantly disrespecting their flag.

And there is basic knowledge like just as Rising Sun flag is not ok, blackface, n-word even with a isnt ok. Accidents happen but its weird how kpop companies dont try to avoid controversies more.
 

jasque

Antifragile
.
.
Joined
29 August 2018
Messages
11,564
Reactions Received
42,959
Location
Brasil
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18,971
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
Gender
Male
They already have a lot of strict rules for trainees, it's time for them to start thinking about a way to prevent that.

In the topic, i have to say that I agree to extent. Kpop idols should get some education what is ok in country and what is not when they perform/promote there.

For example I think it was Justin Biever who got in trouble in South American country for accidentantly disrespecting their flag.

And there is basic knowledge like just as Rising Sun flag is not ok, blackface, n-word even with a isnt ok. Accidents happen but its weird how kpop companies dont try to avoid controversies more.
Oh yeah, Justin Bieber did quite more than that one time he came to Brazil :haylul:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread