If you have had an MRI, what was your experience with it? (1 Viewer)

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
I’m asking this because I have an MRI scheduled on Tuesday and I’m sure my anxiety is going to flare up tomorrow and the day of the MRI :coronawimwim:

I’m getting an MRI done because I’ve been having problems with migraines for quite a while. They can get pretty painful and even stuff like Tylenol doesn’t help them go away. My family doctor recommended that I get one but the first time we scheduled it I chickened out and didn’t get it done. And to make a long story short, I already have a bit “trauma” (if you want to call it that) from an MRI that I was supposed to have done for my back a few years ago and it didn’t go well. It was done in a small trailer behind a physical therapy building and it was so tight and cramped in there. It was really cold too since it was in the middle of winter. What made it worse is that I was told the test would take 45 minutes to complete and it made my anxious go up a lot. Unfortunately, I got so anxious that I couldn’t even finish the MRI. I just don’t want the same thing to happen again because I’m so tired of having migraines.

So I just want to know what other people have experienced. If you were anxious, what did you do to help yourself calm down? And did your MRI test last long, or did it take a short amount of time? How did you mentally prepare yourself? Any tips will be appreciated.

Also this MRI will actually be at a hospital, not a trailer :wimwim:
 

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
never had one myself but I wish you good luck :pepeheart: Dress comfortably, no jewelry I guess.
Thank you 💙
Hopefully my anxiety meds will do their job and the MRI won’t be as bad as I’m thinking it will be :crycry:
 
  • Love
Reactions: gone4good

gone4good

.
.
Joined
31 May 2023
Messages
6,437
Reactions Received
9,410
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
23,545
Gender
Female
Ship
Wreck
Thank you 💙
Hopefully my anxiety meds will do their job and the MRI won’t be as bad as I’m thinking it will be :crycry:
I'm a Dentist (DDS), not an MD. However I can tell you that it is indeed a safe and painless procedure as it is not surgical or invasive in nature. The magnetic fields and radio waves employed are adjusted for seamless penetration to image the area. It's also pretty quick. I mean, on average you're looking at 30 to 40 minutes. You'll be done in no time! Once again, good luck! Everything will be just fine! <3
 
  • Love
Reactions: lexus

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
I'm a Dentist (DDS), not an MD. However I can tell you that it is indeed a safe and painless procedure as it is not surgical or invasive in nature. The magnetic fields and radio waves employed are adjusted for seamless penetration to image the area. It's also pretty quick. I mean, on average you're looking at 30 to 40 minutes. You'll be done in no time! Once again, good luck! Everything will be just fine! <3
That does make me feel a bit better :maheart:
Thanks again :sanapray:
 
  • Love
Reactions: gone4good

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,395
Reactions Received
151,406
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
One thing about brain mris is that usually they have a thing that goes over your head, as something to be aware of because it could potentially make someone feel more claustrophobic. The design varies, but just something to be prepared for. Also if you don’t know yet if you’re going to have a contrast mri or not, that’s a possibility to be prepared for too. Since the contrast would be an extra step at the start :sanapray: They usually would tell you this at the start, but one bright side is that depending on their requirements, they might not be working all the way through, and instead do it in batches. That could potentially mean you could have a break if needed instead of sitting through it all in one go. But that’s dependent on the details of the MRI. If they don’t mention that specifically at the start, it could be worth asking or having someone else ask for you, since that could be good to know especially if you get stressed and need a break.
 
  • Like
Reactions: lexus

PWSwan

.
Joined
28 May 2019
Messages
1,839
Reactions Received
1,692
Location
The Psycho World
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
13,739
I've had MRIs for the same reason. Since you already have anxiety medication, my only advice is to wear a sleep mask and earplugs during the procedure. If it's already dark before I go in the tube, it's not as much of a problem when I'm in the tube. It will be loud; what I do is pretend I'm at a rave and set songs to the beat that the magnets are making.
 

dark_tranquility

YOᑌ ᗪIᗪᑎ'T ᗷᗴTᖇᗩY ᗰᗴ, YOᑌ ᗷᗴTᖇᗩYᗴᗪ YOᑌᖇSᗴᒪᖴ
.
.
Joined
10 September 2019
Messages
62,180
Reactions Received
52,518
Location
Europe and Asia
Website
www.ancestry.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
201,696
Fandom
𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Eurasian
it was kind of weird but also soothing
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread