Intro I'm a Kpop Noob (1 Viewer)

Joined
22 July 2019
Messages
94
Reactions Received
263
Location
City of Suits
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Hello, I've known about Kpop since Girl's Generation got big, but I always thought it was something weird that I wouldn't be able to get into. I've been a fan of anime since I was a kid and after getting into subs a few years ago, the better experience in my opinion, I didn't see the difference between enjoying subbed anime and Kpop. Since I was already used to an east Asian language through anime, it was pretty easy to appreciate the BTS releases that became popular in the west. Earlier this year, I decided to give Kpop a serious try through Blackpink and Twice and I instantly fell in love with the genre.

Here I am now, stanning Mamamoo and (G)I-dle, and have been on a Kpop binge since May. I've decided that I very much prefer GGs to BGs and I believe it's because I like the sound of female vocals when sung in Hangungmal more than male vocals. My favorite groups thus far would be Mamamoo, (G)I-dle, CLC, Dreamcatcher, EXID, Red Velvet, and Ladies' Code. However, that doesn't mean I have no respect for the guys. BTS are what initially got me to give the genre a chance and I happen to like Stray Kids and Oneus, Mamamoo's little brothers :3. I've listened to around 20 girl groups about now and decided I want to know more about the genre, thus I have joined this forum. Currently listening to KARA and looking for more groups to stan. I've made it a rule to only stan active groups so that I have more to look forward to.

I hope to have fun and leave my care and guidance in your hands.
:pikahappy:
 

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Welcome to the forum! It's late where I am now so I can't talk much but I'd recommend LOONA if you like girl groups, they're kinda like the MCU of kpop. Their videos have an overarching story and there is a bunch of content! I'd recommend watching the videos in chronological order if you wanna decipher the story.
 
Joined
22 July 2019
Messages
94
Reactions Received
263
Location
City of Suits
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Welcome to the forum! It's late where I am now so I can't talk much but I'd recommend LOONA if you like girl groups, they're kinda like the MCU of kpop. Their videos have an overarching story and there is a bunch of content! I'd recommend watching the videos in chronological order if you wanna decipher the story.
Ah, I've heard about them from a lot of Orbits. They're one of the ones at the top of my interest list, but right now I'm going through 2nd generation groups before I return to the newer stuff. Thanks for the suggestion.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Welcome to the forum! Also, welcome to going down the rabbit hole of loving kpop!

I'm like a middle age or grandma stan (depends on the people lol) i've been into kpop since 2009. You have great taste in groups already~

Happy to suggest songs or groups anytime
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
I've decided that I very much prefer GGs to BGs
You'll get along just fine here :nekolove:
Ah, I've heard about them from a lot of Orbits. They're one of the ones at the top of my interest list, but right now I'm going through 2nd generation groups before I return to the newer stuff. Thanks for the suggestion.
I strongly recommend T-ara
Since their tenth anniversary is coming around soon, I'm making a thread every day to suggest songs.
They have a truly Golden discography :sanapray:
 
Joined
22 July 2019
Messages
94
Reactions Received
263
Location
City of Suits
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Welcome to the forum! Also, welcome to going down the rabbit hole of loving kpop!

I'm like a middle age or grandma stan (depends on the people lol) i've been into kpop since 2009. You have great taste in groups already~

Happy to suggest songs or groups anytime
Since you're a more experienced stan, what 2nd gen groups should I listen to? I would have listened to Girl's Gen and Wonder Girls by now but Spotify doesn't have their complete discography :pandaannoyed:
 
Joined
22 July 2019
Messages
94
Reactions Received
263
Location
City of Suits
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
You'll get along just fine here :nekolove:

I strongly recommend T-ara
Since their tenth anniversary is coming around soon, I'm making a thread every day to suggest songs.
They have a truly Golden discography :sanapray:
I'm about to finish KARA's last mini album and was about to start listening to T-ara. I've heard that they're one of the more underappreciated GGs from the Grandma Groups.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Since you're a more experienced stan, what 2nd gen groups should I listen to? I would have listened to Girl's Gen and Wonder Girls by now but Spotify doesn't have their complete discography :pandaannoyed:
Personal favorite girl group from 2nd gen was Miss A. Unfortunately I don't think they have their complete discography either. But they do have my favorite b-side songs like 'Love song', 'Lips', and 'No Mercy'
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Just listened to their first album. Why do people rarely mention these queens. :sadcat:
It involves Twitter beef, a witch Hunt, bullying and rice cakes😰
Like I said,. It's complicated 😅
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
welcome :nekolove:

it‘s nice that you are now trying out different groups. My heart still beats for my second generation babies :maheart:
I recommend ( other than T-ara and Kara) Secret, Miss A, and Brown Eyed Girls.
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Is there a video or write up that explains it all?

I can try to shorten it as best as I can. All the explanations I've seen are incredibly long.

T-ara started off with 6 members

They were successful very early on with their hit single Bo Peep Bo Peep being released a few months after debut. It was a HUGE hit

The next year, a new maknae was added to the group. Her name was Hwayoung and she became the main rapper. Objectively, she wasn't needed, since T-ara had good rappers already in the group but Hwayoung was still really talented.

This shouldn't have been a problem. But it was.

The main issue with T-ara was the fact that their CEO was crazy and abusive to the girls. He yelled at them, he overworked them severely and forced certain members to starve themselves before comebacks. He also forced members to work through their injuries and used toxic mediaplay both for and against his own artists. There are also allegations of managers been abusive but I'm not to sure on that.

Hwayoung only trained for a few months before she was added to T-ara and it took a while for her to find a place within the group

The CEO didn't want the members to feel confident or comfortable with the success that they rightfully earned.he constantly wanting them to feel unsafe in their own positions within the group. Hwayoung wasn't added to the group because they felt she was necessary, she was added to make the members feel insecure because the CEO very publicly threatened to fire and replace any member that was less than perfect. He threatened to keep adding members to group, which he did.


Still, despite his attempts at breeding hostility and competition, T-ara accepted Hwayoung and she became part of the family

T-ara continued their success with Wae Ironi, Roly Poly, Cry Cry etc.

Because of their hits, their visuals and certain members breaking out as actresses, they were GOD tier. Up their with 2ne1 and SNSD.

Then 2012 came. The CEO announced two new members would be joining the group: Areum and Dani. Areum joined in the summer and Dani, much younger and not knowing Korean, wound up never joining the group.

2012 was supposed to be a really busy year, they were planning their Japanese debut, and several Korean comebacks.

Now an 8 piece (The original 6, Hwayoung and aruem) T-ara made their much anticipated Day by Day comeback and Japanese debut. Both were extremely successful, as was expected.

Then their Japanese debut concert happened. That's where everything started to go wrong.

Hwayoung had injured her ankle. The initial doctor deemed it fine but Hwayoung and her parents insisted on seeing a different doctor and got a cast on it. (There are allegations that she exaggerated her injury for attention and there are allegations that it wasn't properly diagnosed the first time around. No way of knowing for sure)

What Hwayoung should have done was go to rehearsal and either ask to skip out on the concert or find out a way to still contribute. She did neither of those things. She flat out skipped. The remaining members went from an expected 2 hour rehearsal to an 8 hour rehearsal trying to accommodate for Hwayoung, who was no where to be found.

Keep in mind that everyone in this situation is tired and extremely stressed out.

Hwayoung arrives right before the cobcert and is ordered by the CEO to not go on stage. She winds up only performing one song in a chair.

After the concert is over, 4 members take to Twitter and post vague tweets shading Hwayoung about her determination because they were pissed. Hwayoung and her sister both confirm it's about them and return shade.

T-ara winds being accused of bullying. Everyone denies it but the situation is exacerbated by several things.
1. Bad management: the CEO releases several statements contradicting himself and straight up lying. No one takes him seriously.
2. The members that shades Hwayoung. Several of them had been going through scandals or were being falsely accused for things from their past because of the tweets.
3. "Evidence" of bullying. Internet users took clips and images and manipulated it go make it seem like the members had a history of bullying Hwayoung. These were all false and taken out of context but people refused to believe it at the time.

The members clarified several times that there was no bullying involved, just tension but no one believes them.

To make matters worse in yet another poor management decision, the CEO and staff vote to kick Hwayoung out of the group despite literally no one in the group wanting that.

In less than a week, T-ara goes from being one of kpop's most beloved ggs to the Nation's Bitches.
They get death threats and suicide petitions, brands drop them left and right and they didn't get any music show wins for five years. If not for their international popularity, they would have disbanded.

5 years later, Hwayoung (now an actress) does an interview with her sister. Ex staff members didn't like what she said about feeling alone in T-ara and being to call her out for spoiled behavior within the group. It's essentially a lot of He Said, she Said (besides texts that hwayoungs sister sends threaten to maul one of the members but again, that's another story.)
The main point is that T-ara is finally exonerated as bullie in the eyes of the public
I tried to condense it but it wound up being so long RIP :yolk:
Basically, T-ara are really nice people that made really good music. They lost everything over a silly mistake
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread