- Joined
- 4 November 2018
- Messages
- 17,947
- Reactions Received
- 38,146
- Cards
- View Profile
- KS Coins
- 16,470
- Fandom
- inspirit
- Gender
- Female
- Pronouns
- Goddess
- Ship
- Wreck
So this is going to be super fucking long and I'll probably have to give some trigger warnings but basically I finally got into a counselor/therapist and got the news today and I told my mom about it. My boyfriend encouraged it and I was trying for a bit but ultimately gave up because I don't really have a support system. But now I do, my boyfriend and one of my closest friends now know what's up and is supporting me too. So I'm finally making this move that I NEED to make because I am "high" functioning but I'm really unhealthy.
So basically at the start of my first year of college and maybe the end of my senior year of high school, something traumatic happened at my school. A young girl got into a car crash and died. Then her best friend was in a coma, and a little boy and his dad died too. I already have had some issues with anxiety but this kind of pushed me over and made it so I was terrified to learn how to drive but it didn't really become an issue until my parents tried forcing a job on me and also introducing the idea of learning to drive. So my timeline might be a bit off, but I recall it occurring around the time I finished High school. Keep in mind I also have ADHD and that makes accepting change especially radical change VERY hard.
So all of that coupled with my anxiety made it so I refused to learn how to drive and my mom essentially thought I was faking because that's how she always is with anything and everything when it comes to me. Because she thinks I'm overdramatic and just make shit up. So she took me to a therapist, and that therapist wanted to see me more. When I got back out to the car my mom basically was like, so did she tell you it was bullshit? When I told her it wasn't and that they wanted to see me again, she kind of shut up and said Oh.
So the reason I'm ranting about this is it has been years later, and this still affects me because it's a common thing for my mom to disregard my mental or emotional issues. I told my mom I got into counseling and then while I was on the phone with my boyfriend she overheard me mention GAD (which was something a doctor put down in my file-I didn't just pull it out of my ass). She kind of was like you should ask your sister if you have any of those symptoms (my sister doesn't have her license and is still working on it and there is a bias there so no, I'm not going to ask my sister). Then she was essentially like when do you get nervous or anxious? I never see it and basically bending over backwards to invalidate me for the thousandth time and I snapped at her and stormed upstairs.
Later on, I needed lotion and some water so I went down and she wanted to explain to me why she said what she said. She basically said I seem high functioning and that I can hold a job, and that I interact with all ages well, and I have no issues speaking my mind at home or at work. But, you see, the reason they never see any of my symptoms is because I hide it really well, HECK my boyfriend didn't realize how bad it was until more recently and he became REALLY worried for me. I am GOOD at hiding it. When I have my panic attacks I can usually conceal them somewhat or work through them. I do it CONSTANTLY and it's not HEALTHY.
I told her the reason they don't see this is because anytime I express anything NEGATIVE they resort to making me feel like shit or like a joke or call me things like princess. I have ADHD on top of my issues with anxiety and just so people are made aware I get sensory overload and one of the reactions to it is sudden and very irrational anger which they've seen come from me before and to them, it just looks like me being a brat. That's one of the reasons they call me princess along with me expressing anything negative like not wanting to do something and shit like that.
So I kind of mocked how they call me princess because I was getting exasperated because when I responded to her I told her about the time I got therapy and she basically was upset that the therapist thought something might be wrong with me. I even told her that she pulled me out of it the second I told her I was feeling better...like I was magically cured. She seemed to think I was lying about all of this happening and that I was full of shit and making it up. But I remember it because it fucking hurt me so damn much knowing my own mother thought I was faking my issues because I'm spoiled and don't want to do shit just because...like she thinks that lowly of me.
Then when I was doing the slightly mocking thing with how they call me princess and all that stuff. She said, "well you are kind of rude and mean." And I snapped and just said, " Do you ever stop to wonder why???"
I don't think I'm making any of this up and I don't understand why I'm constantly brushed aside like this??? Am I overreacting by being so upset and a bit snippy?
So basically at the start of my first year of college and maybe the end of my senior year of high school, something traumatic happened at my school. A young girl got into a car crash and died. Then her best friend was in a coma, and a little boy and his dad died too. I already have had some issues with anxiety but this kind of pushed me over and made it so I was terrified to learn how to drive but it didn't really become an issue until my parents tried forcing a job on me and also introducing the idea of learning to drive. So my timeline might be a bit off, but I recall it occurring around the time I finished High school. Keep in mind I also have ADHD and that makes accepting change especially radical change VERY hard.
So all of that coupled with my anxiety made it so I refused to learn how to drive and my mom essentially thought I was faking because that's how she always is with anything and everything when it comes to me. Because she thinks I'm overdramatic and just make shit up. So she took me to a therapist, and that therapist wanted to see me more. When I got back out to the car my mom basically was like, so did she tell you it was bullshit? When I told her it wasn't and that they wanted to see me again, she kind of shut up and said Oh.
So the reason I'm ranting about this is it has been years later, and this still affects me because it's a common thing for my mom to disregard my mental or emotional issues. I told my mom I got into counseling and then while I was on the phone with my boyfriend she overheard me mention GAD (which was something a doctor put down in my file-I didn't just pull it out of my ass). She kind of was like you should ask your sister if you have any of those symptoms (my sister doesn't have her license and is still working on it and there is a bias there so no, I'm not going to ask my sister). Then she was essentially like when do you get nervous or anxious? I never see it and basically bending over backwards to invalidate me for the thousandth time and I snapped at her and stormed upstairs.
Later on, I needed lotion and some water so I went down and she wanted to explain to me why she said what she said. She basically said I seem high functioning and that I can hold a job, and that I interact with all ages well, and I have no issues speaking my mind at home or at work. But, you see, the reason they never see any of my symptoms is because I hide it really well, HECK my boyfriend didn't realize how bad it was until more recently and he became REALLY worried for me. I am GOOD at hiding it. When I have my panic attacks I can usually conceal them somewhat or work through them. I do it CONSTANTLY and it's not HEALTHY.
I told her the reason they don't see this is because anytime I express anything NEGATIVE they resort to making me feel like shit or like a joke or call me things like princess. I have ADHD on top of my issues with anxiety and just so people are made aware I get sensory overload and one of the reactions to it is sudden and very irrational anger which they've seen come from me before and to them, it just looks like me being a brat. That's one of the reasons they call me princess along with me expressing anything negative like not wanting to do something and shit like that.
So I kind of mocked how they call me princess because I was getting exasperated because when I responded to her I told her about the time I got therapy and she basically was upset that the therapist thought something might be wrong with me. I even told her that she pulled me out of it the second I told her I was feeling better...like I was magically cured. She seemed to think I was lying about all of this happening and that I was full of shit and making it up. But I remember it because it fucking hurt me so damn much knowing my own mother thought I was faking my issues because I'm spoiled and don't want to do shit just because...like she thinks that lowly of me.
Then when I was doing the slightly mocking thing with how they call me princess and all that stuff. She said, "well you are kind of rude and mean." And I snapped and just said, " Do you ever stop to wonder why???"
I don't think I'm making any of this up and I don't understand why I'm constantly brushed aside like this??? Am I overreacting by being so upset and a bit snippy?