Is there a difference between saying "Love you" and "I love you"? (1 Viewer)

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
Okay this pretty random, but it's been bugging me for the past few days. I'm not trying to get too personal here because I don't like airing out my personal issues on the forum, but my mom and I had a conversation about a family member a few days ago. Basically, I told her that I just get a random text message from them from time to time that just says "Love you" and that's about it. This actually made her kind of mad because she said that there's a difference between saying "I love you" and "Love you" and that they need to say "I love you" instead because she thinks it has a stronger meaning. I always thought that they basically meant the same thing and now I'm starting to question it. I know that this is really weird to ask, but I wanted to know someone else's thoughts about this.
 

NASA

3ᑢ273⁷
.
.
Joined
2 July 2019
Messages
4,814
Reactions Received
19,142
Location
3ᑢ 273⁷
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,000
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Ship
if ur confessing or it's just the first time ur saying it to someone then I love you is more proper and genuine, but after that you can say either of them interchangably I think. Love you is just a more casual way of saying it so if u say it regularly with people then you can say it that way but for a more meaningful occasion it's better to say I love you I think
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,333
Reactions Received
76,681
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
189,045
Ship
Wreck
Love you is just a casual way of saying it and while saying I love you could be more appropriate in situation however I wouldn't dwell on it as the person is doing it with the same meaning and probably doesn't even think about it
 

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
Love you is just a casual way of saying it and while saying I love you could be more appropriate in situation however I wouldn't dwell on it as the person is doing it with the same meaning and probably doesn't even think about it
I guess you're right. I think I've been overthinking this a little too much :nekosweat:
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,396
Reactions Received
151,407
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I agree that for a first time I love you makes more sense but I think once its been established that they love you I think Love you sounds simpler and more like a reminder? If someone always said I love you then I'd think it was weird and I'd be defensive about that. But so many people have different ideas about it that I think it likely just different philosophies rather than anything malicious.
 

Mew

~Angel of Death~
.
Joined
29 November 2018
Messages
2,249
Reactions Received
4,602
Location
England, London
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
6
Fandom
Shawol
Gender
Female
Honestly it's more to do with context. It's semi pointless debating the difference if only the person that said knows what the meant and what impact they were trying to give.
Even though 'I love you' for the first time seems more meaningful, not everyone is comfortable saying it in that way.. Some slip in casually 'love you' so it's very possible it's meant in the same way.
The fact that someone is willing to say love you/I love you, is a great sentiment in itself tbh.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I think context is what matters. I do believe that it can mean the same thing in most situations
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread