Sensitive Jay Park: why haven´t we talked about this? (2 Viewers)

Joined
19 October 2020
Messages
19,165
Reactions Received
28,437
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,455
Fandom
multi BG
Gender
Female
As many of you may know I do like krap (weirdly, I do hardly ever listen to any western rap) and Jay had been among my favourites. Sure, his lyrics are often the typical boasty men who are looking for a sexy girl type of thing, but man has got some flow and he is a businessman I do have to respect. He has I believe 3 companies and is popular in the States and in Korea (relatively, of course).

He is also from Seattle which is one of my fav cities in the States. but that is irrelevant.

I have just wanted to say I love the man, I loved the man, I have to say.

What is the controversy? To keep the story short: Jay Park used a slur in his lyrics. compared himself to Allah.
source and longer read: Jay Park apologises to fans over controversial lyrics: "The intent was never to disrespect or offend"

I´m not Muslim so deciding whether I should or should not forgive anyone is not on my plate obviously. And tbh, rappers od use a lot of inappropriate language in general. BUT I must admit what got me was this:

“To me its just lyrics to some it’s more serious. Simple as that,” he wrote before adding in a follow-up tweet that he wasn’t aware of the sacred meaning behind the word ‘Allah’. “Words and symbols mean everything to some but for those who don’t know, [it’s] just another word. No one’s fault.”

“Love all my REAL Muslim fans and I hope it don’t make you think of me any different,” he concluded, according to Malay Mail. “To those who wanna hate, let ’em hate.”


I think we all sometimes say things that some might consider offensive or "on the line" while someone else would brush it off as a joke or "not so serious". I personally live in a culture that would surprise some as insensitive and offensive, but here people just behave just "don´t mean it" (not an apology, just an explanation).

However, I feel like his apology (original one, it later got deleted and he wrote a new one) was quite insensitive and dishonest??? It really seemed kind of out of place? Like he wasn´t even apologizing but more like blaming others to see something wrong with his lyrics?

opinions?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Villains and yeji

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
oh boy am not really a fan of this
 
  • Like
Reactions: brekker
Joined
19 October 2020
Messages
19,165
Reactions Received
28,437
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,455
Fandom
multi BG
Gender
Female
oh boy am not really a fan of this
it made me feel so uneasy I have to say I kind of .. dislike him. I loved AOMG so much because of their music projects, but wow, I just... something is not right.

how can you apologize like that? I hate when people just throw the blame at others and play victims. "if you wanna hate, hate" I mean, people had the right to be angry, pointed something that was wrong. why couldn´t he just apologize like a grown up ?
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
it made me feel so uneasy I have to say I kind of .. dislike him. I loved AOMG so much because of their music projects, but wow, I just... something is not right.

how can you apologize like that? I hate when people just throw the blame at others and play victims. "if you wanna hate, hate" I mean, people had the right to be angry, pointed something that was wrong. why couldn´t he just apologize like a grown up ?
the thing is he always has this mindset. I am not a muslim but as german I have bern growing up with a many and I just know how serious things like that are for them and this apology is surely not fitting
 
  • Like
Reactions: brekker
Joined
19 October 2020
Messages
19,165
Reactions Received
28,437
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,455
Fandom
multi BG
Gender
Female
the thing is he always has this mindset. I am not a muslim but as german I have bern growing up with a many and I just know how serious things like that are for them and this apology is surely not fitting
exactly. it´s very disrespective and belittling to someone's believes. I really wish I could say "attitude doesn´t matter it is all about music" I can´t swallow this. like literally the wording makes me realise ... if someone cannot apologize for their mistakes, that´s what´s wrong. we all make mistakes, we are all sometimes insensitive and I do understand how he might have just wanted to sound tough and was looking for a rhyming word. but please! ugh, dumb.

thank you for listening to my ranting why I have unstanned someone, sorry for bothering you.

you like ashnikko though!!! ♥♥♥
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
exactly. it´s very disrespective and belittling to someone's believes. I really wish I could say "attitude doesn´t matter it is all about music" I can´t swallow this. like literally the wording makes me realise ... if someone cannot apologize for their mistakes, that´s what´s wrong. we all make mistakes, we are all sometimes insensitive and I do understand how he might have just wanted to sound tough and was looking for a rhyming word. but please! ugh, dumb.

thank you for listening to my ranting why I have unstanned someone, sorry for bothering you.

you like ashnikko though!!! ♥♥♥
I totally get you. I have been into Jay since 2012 and this is absolutely difficult to swallow. He is just dumb with his wording s lot of times and this is again an example of him trying to sound a certain way and making it worse. This definitely makes it seem like ge doesn’t see what was wrong.

And yes I love the blue devil angel
 
  • Love
Reactions: brekker

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
This goes to the pile dumb stuff kpop artists have done recently. Putting Jay Park into kpop here though i guess he is just in the hip hop scene right now.

I don't honestly hold it rly against him. I'm not big into religious stuff anyways. But it baffles me how he thought it wouldn't be seen as offensive. There has been multiple korean artist getting heat for using stuff relating to Islam. And knowing what has been going in France too. It's very dumb to use it for wordplay when u could have used lot of different stuff for same meaning.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and brekker
Joined
19 October 2020
Messages
19,165
Reactions Received
28,437
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,455
Fandom
multi BG
Gender
Female
This goes to the pile dumb stuff kpop artists have done recently. Putting Jay Park into kpop here though i guess he is just in the hip hop scene right now.

I don't honestly hold it rly against him. I'm not big into religious stuff anyways. But it baffles me how he thought it wouldn't be seen as offensive. There has been multiple korean artist getting heat for using stuff relating to Islam. And knowing what has been going in France too. It's very dumb to use it for wordplay when u could have used lot of different stuff for same meaning.
yeah I mean, I am not very religious myself. I do believe in God, but if someone has a negative opinion I respect that. it´s up to everyone to decide. however, what I really feel was wrong was his apology. even if he used such an expression in the past (it might be important to mention, this is not his recent song), he should have apologized in a proper manner. if he is not able to do so with his own words, I´m sure he has people around him who can. it just shows him as an inconsiderate person.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
yeah I mean, I am not very religious myself. I do believe in God, but if someone has a negative opinion I respect that. it´s up to everyone to decide. however, what I really feel was wrong was his apology. even if he used such an expression in the past (it might be important to mention, this is not his recent song), he should have apologized in a proper manner. if he is not able to do so with his own words, I´m sure he has people around him who can. it just shows him as an inconsiderate person.
He does sound dismissive of the issue so ofc there is lot of plp who aren't happy with the apology, but if that's his real view isn't it better than fake corporate apology of how he was thoughtless and is sorry for fans to showing such bad image and is going to now "reflect" and educate himself.. :dubuthink:
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and brekker
Joined
19 October 2020
Messages
19,165
Reactions Received
28,437
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,455
Fandom
multi BG
Gender
Female
He does sound dismissive of the issue so ofc there is lot of plp who aren't happy with the apology, but if that's his real view isn't it better than fake corporate apology of how he was thoughtless and is sorry for fans to showing such bad image and is going to now "reflect" and educate himself.. :dubuthink:
honestly? no :D. and he should know this the best as he is the CEO of what, three companies? he doesn´t have to issue the "copy+paste" apology, but he could let someone else read it and maybe express their opinion about how it was thoughtless.

after all, he did delete the apology later and wrote a new one. he obviously does care how the public views him (as he should) and as you can see he is trying to educate himself in this one too :D:

1622999251996.png
 

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
As a Muslim I do not forgive him. Both of his apologies were horrible. This is absolutely vile and I lost all respect I had for him. I am so tired of Muslims being treated as sensitive. We are not overreacting at all. Islam does not take comparisons lightly at all.
As many of you may know I do like krap (weirdly, I do hardly ever listen to any western rap) and Jay had been among my favourites. Sure, his lyrics are often the typical boasty men who are looking for a sexy girl type of thing, but man has got some flow and he is a businessman I do have to respect. He has I believe 3 companies and is popular in the States and in Korea (relatively, of course).

He is also from Seattle which is one of my fav cities in the States. but that is irrelevant.

I have just wanted to say I love the man, I loved the man, I have to say.

What is the controversy? To keep the story short: Jay Park used a slur in his lyrics. compared himself to Allah.
source and longer read: Jay Park apologises to fans over controversial lyrics: "The intent was never to disrespect or offend"

I´m not Muslim so deciding whether I should or should not forgive anyone is not on my plate obviously. And tbh, rappers od use a lot of inappropriate language in general. BUT I must admit what got me was this:

“To me its just lyrics to some it’s more serious. Simple as that,” he wrote before adding in a follow-up tweet that he wasn’t aware of the sacred meaning behind the word ‘Allah’. “Words and symbols mean everything to some but for those who don’t know, [it’s] just another word. No one’s fault.”

“Love all my REAL Muslim fans and I hope it don’t make you think of me any different,” he concluded, according to Malay Mail. “To those who wanna hate, let ’em hate.”


I think we all sometimes say things that some might consider offensive or "on the line" while someone else would brush it off as a joke or "not so serious". I personally live in a culture that would surprise some as insensitive and offensive, but here people just behave just "don´t mean it" (not an apology, just an explanation).

However, I feel like his apology (original one, it later got deleted and he wrote a new one) was quite insensitive and dishonest??? It really seemed kind of out of place? Like he wasn´t even apologizing but more like blaming others to see something wrong with his lyrics?

opinions?
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and brekker
Joined
19 October 2020
Messages
19,165
Reactions Received
28,437
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,455
Fandom
multi BG
Gender
Female
As a Muslim I do not forgive him. Both of his apologies were horrible. This is absolutely vile and I lost all respect I had for him. I am so tired of Muslims being treated as sensitive. We are not overreacting at all. Islam does not take comparisons lightly at all.
as someone who liked him, I am sorry.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Mayday

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread