Just because your fave writes and produces their own music does NOT mean its good! (1 Viewer)

Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Like I never really understood why kpop fans think this way, okay your fave writes and produces their songs... but does it sound good? is it actually good enough to where most people would want to listen to it without wanting to turn it off? id much rather have a producer who actually knows what theyre doing make my music with my suggestions and maybe my own lyrics. also, if I dont think a song is good... you telling me "but it has a deep meaning!" will NOT make me like it anymore. like, yes its cool that the song may have a deeper message, but the first thing im gonna notice is the music itself because I, like a lot of other kpop stans can't understand Korean. sorry for this rant but im so sick of entitled kpop stans who shame groups that dont produce their own music and think that their group's music is suddenly better because their fave produced it... like if the song is bad why would you want them to take credit for it
:joysip:
 
Last edited:

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,208
Reactions Received
76,668
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,597
Ship
Wreck
Sounds like you got into it with Twitter Armys :pandatea: As for the topic it's true that people put too much weight onto being self produced since if you produced like Rocket Girl then maybe you should rethink your career.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Sounds like you got into it with Twitter Armys :pandatea: As for the topic it's true that people put too much weight onto being self produced since if you produced like Rocket Girl then maybe you should rethink your career.
while i have gotten into it with twitter armys about this... I was mainly just making this about anyone who keeps on putting so much value on a group being self-produced cause some of the songs ive heard that are so "great" because the members produced it... I won't speak of that. but I like the majority of the songs bts make so this doesnt go towards them
:ilovebread:
also, do rocket girls self produce?
 

mirella

✧✦ soloist akgae ✦✧
.
Joined
9 November 2018
Messages
1,859
Reactions Received
13,182
Location
Pacifika
Website
www.last.fm
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L?
Gender
Female
Ship
Wreck
I've seen some fans use songwriting as a means of measuring superiority, but I've seen even more people who dismiss it and say it is meaningless.

Songwriting and producing ARE skills, just like singing and dancing, and it is always appreciated when an idol has a passion for it. Yes, not all of them are good at it, but that's why it is a skill. (Also, not all idols receive the opportunity to self-produce as their companies may limit them creatively.)

It does not make one artist superior to another, and it does not make a bad song better, though "more personal" could definitely be argued.

Of course, I do prefer if an album is made by experienced producers. Although notorious for limiting creative output, SM has brought in foreign producers for groups like f(x) and EXO, and I have enjoyed their albums. However, not all outside producers are particularly impressive either; take Teddy Park.
 
Last edited:

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,386
Reactions Received
151,399
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
*writes :wimwim:

sorry I had to

And thats obviously not true but its not any different than people loving a song just because their fav released it or something like that and we know that many kpop fans love to think that way, so eh whatever.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I've seen some fans use songwriting as a means of measuring superiority, but I've seen even more people who dismiss it and say it is meaningless.

Songwriting and producing ARE skills, just like singing and dancing, and it is always appreciated when an idol is good at it and it may demonstrate their passion for making music. Yes, not all of them are good at it, but that's why it is a skill.

It does not make one artist superior to another, and it does not make a bad song better, though "more personal" could definitely be argued.

Of course, I do prefer if an album is made by experienced producers. SM has brought in foreign producers for groups like f(x) and EXO, and I have loved their albums. However, not all outside producers are particularly good either; take Teddy Park.
if the song is actually good then I do think that the artists should be praised for it... but if the idol isnt good at producing or writing, or they just need more time to improve, then I genuinely dont think that their song should be praised or be put on another level then a song that wasnt self-produced. songwriting and producing is a skill yes but you need to be somewhat good at it too at least deserve the praise that some kpop stans give them... I dont really have a problem with people who praise their faves for writing or producing, I have a problem when they act like just because a song is self-written means that it's better than another groups song that weren't self-written.
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Sometimes professional producers give you Zimzalabim, sometimes they give you Ice Cream Cake
Sometimes self-composing gives you Love Scenario, sometimes it doesn't. Though sometimes the concepts are questionable, I don't think I've heard a self-composed song with actual flaws in production.

Kinda on both sides of this
I don't think idols should be shamed for not writing their own music, they're idols after all. Song-writing and composition is a great additional skill, not a necessary requirement and every company has different standards for who can and can't write. If it can't be done well, they shouldn't be doing it

But there is a difference in idols that get to have imput and create their own music than the idols that don't. You never see them frustrated on what or when they're releasing and they generally seem more content. I'm sure Blackpink, Twice, Red Velvet and Gfriend would be bringing something very different to the table if they were given the opportunity and every single one has expressed interest in doing it.


Focus on your faves ig and anticipate Godsica's comeback :joysip:
 

mirella

✧✦ soloist akgae ✦✧
.
Joined
9 November 2018
Messages
1,859
Reactions Received
13,182
Location
Pacifika
Website
www.last.fm
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L?
Gender
Female
Ship
Wreck
if the song is actually good then I do think that the artists should be praised for it... but if the idol isnt good at producing or writing, or they just need more time to improve, then I genuinely dont think that their song should be praised or be put on another level then a song that wasnt self-produced. songwriting and producing is a skill yes but you need to be somewhat good at it too at least deserve the praise that some kpop stans give them... I dont really have a problem with people who praise their faves for writing or producing, I have a problem when they act like just because is a song is self-written means that it's better than another groups song that wasnt self-written.
Fans are going to praise the hell out of their faves and every song they put out anyway, regardless of whether they self-produced or not.

For example, replace songwriting with vocal ability. Fans are going to claim some popular mediocre vocalist is the Korean Beyonce, even if they do not deserve the praise.

There is nothing we can do to influence fan mindset, though I hope people get over this superiority complex of self-produced idol groups, as the Kpop industry is not really the best place to look for profoundly deep lyrics or musical innovation, lol. There are thriving non-idol music scenes in Korea for those things.
 

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I've seen this argument commonly used during the Boy With Luv X Kill This Love "war". It was incredibly ridiculous. It's important to also take into mind that many companies don't allow their idols to produce or write as well. For example, Yeri submitted lyrics for Power Up and it was rejected. It could have simply not been good enough, but regardless, they don't always have a choice.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Sometimes professional producers give you Zimzalabim, sometimes they give you Ice Cream Cake
Sometimes self-composing gives you Love Scenario, sometimes it doesn't. Though sometimes the concepts are questionable, I don't think I've heard a self-composed song with actual flaws in production.

Kinda on both sides of this
I don't think idols should be shamed for not writing their own music, they're idols after all. Song-writing and composition is a great additional skill, not a necessary requirement and every company has different standards for who can and can't write. If it can't be done well, they shouldn't be doing it

But there is a difference in idols that get to have imput and create their own music than the idols that don't. You never see them frustrated on what or when they're releasing and they generally seem more content. I'm sure Blackpink, Twice, Red Velvet and Gfriend would be bringing something very different to the table if they were given the opportunity and every single one has expressed interest in doing it.


Focus on your faves ig and anticipate Godsica's comeback :joysip:
I never said that producers dont have bad songs because they definitely do... but idols who write their music also do release bad songs. now im not saying that fans shouldn't praise their faves for producing because that would be ridiculous for me to say, but when they try to put down other groups or act like their faves are on some other level of "artistry" for writing and producing, thats where I have a problem.

I dont know about Red velvet or Gfriend, but Blackpink has said that they do get to give a lot of their ideas to teddy when hes producing, but I would love if they were given the opportunity to produce because I know that they have expressed wanting to produce. and if im not wrong twice has writing credits on some of their songs. But I do agree with you on how groups definitely dont seem content with a lot of the songs that their companies give them. I think my issue is more with the fans who act like the idols who dont self-produce aren't as talented.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I've seen this argument commonly used during the Boy With Luv X Kill This Love "war". It was incredibly ridiculous. It's important to also take into mind that many companies don't allow their idols to produce or write as well. For example, Yeri submitted lyrics for Power Up and it was rejected. It could have simply not been good enough, but regardless, they don't always have a choice.
Yes, I agree, there are plenty of idols who know how to make good songs but aren't given the right opportunities to showcase them. Like all the of the members of bp were required to know how to compose to pass monthly evaluations, but they aren't given the opportunity to showcase those skills. and they give their ideas to teddy, but theyre constantly being called "Puppets", ungenuine and untalented by kpop stans. there are so many idols who go through the same thing as well and I just dont understand why some stans have such a superiority complex...
 

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Yes, I agree, there are plenty of idols who know how to make good songs but aren't given the right opportunities to showcase them. Like all the of the members of bp were required to know how to compose to pass monthly evaluations, but they aren't given the opportunity to showcase those skills. and they give their ideas to teddy, but theyre constantly being called "Puppets", ungenuine and untalented by kpop stans. there are so many idols who go through the same thing as well and I just dont understand why some stans have such a superiority complex...
Don't forget how Jennie wasn't credited for helping with Solo/Stay.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Don't forget how Jennie wasn't credited for helping with Solo/Stay.
just thinking about that makes me mad because we didn't even know about it until one of her solo diaries, and then yg edited the subtitles to make it seem like she didn't 🤡
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
For me writing your own songs and being involved with them is important cause i value artistry. This is how it should be are my thoughts. I think it comes from that before kpop i listened to rock bands instead of pop artists so it just seems more natural. And tbh, usually it does sound better.
 
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
719
Reactions Received
6,480
Location
Buddy Hole @ Zoom
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I don’t particularly care whether the groups I stan write their own music. Like others have mentioned, I prefer a more experienced producer as the sound engineering is excellent. Kpop is a visual experience from the music to the dancing not exactly who writes the song. Plus artistry can come from different outlets, such as performing a particular concept like RV or singing like Taeyeon whose voice inspires generations of new idols.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread