I also think that sometimes lgbt people will act closer to the stereotype to fit in more. I mean there are some people who really are being themselves but every now and then i'll see a gay guy acting 'camp' or a lesbian cutting her hair short and it just feels a tiny bit forced as if they're worried people will think they don't seem gay enough, i'm also 20 so most of my memories of this are from classmates in school when everyone was struggling to find themselves and all tried their best to fit in with what was expected of them, so even if they thought they'd free themselves by 'coming out' they'd just find themselves with a whole new set of expectations to deal with from their fellow classmates who didn't really understand that you could identify as gay or lesbian or pan or whatever without necessary changing the way you look or act.
I've always been praised a lot for always being myself by my friends, teachers, and my student services tutor in college when I went to her with issues that were giving me real bad depression because she asked me why I didn't find people to hang out with at lunch to get my mind off other things and my reason was that I didn't want to hang out with any of the 'cliques' because I didn't really fit in with any of them because most of them were just trying to fit in with the group and I didn't feel the need to fit in with a group just for the sake of being in a group, but since i've been like this since a very early age I sometimes don't really understand the struggle other people go through trying to fit in. It's like a lot of people have 'coming out' stories because it was a huge deal to them but to me it doesn't feel like anything special, I just worked out what my sexuality was and I told people if they asked and I didn't really care much despite it apparently being a huge thing to everyone around me. And because i'm still young I still see so many people my age trying to fit in so atm it feels like I won't find someone who doesn't fit in with the stereotypes for a long time.
Idk if this made any sense i'm sorry