- Joined
- 18 November 2018
- Messages
- 13,505
- Reactions Received
- 41,701
- Location
- Estonia
- Cards
- View Profile
- KS Coins
- 514
- Gender
- Non-Binary
- Pronouns
- He/They
- Ship
- Wreck
Sooooooo here are my thoughts on it
I'm a white girl, so don't take it too srsly, but still.
For me to consider smth cultural appropriation, means there should be some traditions and rules associated with it that were violated.
If the item of clothing or the accessory used is even in the culture it is from..... Just an accessory or just a clothing item or fashion choice.... It ain't cultural appropriation
For example I don't consider wearing a durag cultural appropriation. I've searched it up on the internet and yes, it originates from black people.... But it is a fashion choice and a tool. Wearing it doesn't signify anything.
On the other hand wearing smth like the maang tikka (that my babe Arang had on in her teaser) that is meant to be worn by a bride in a wedding... IS cultural appropriation, since it is taking smth from another culture and misusing it.
I don't see anything wrong with using something form another culture, as long as it is used in the proper context and the meaning and culture behind it is respected.
Wearing another cultures traditional clothing is alright in my opinion, if it is worn the way it is supposed to be worn. If it is worn in the situation it is supposed to be worn in and if it has religious meaning behind it.... you are actually from that religion. I think it's alright to try clothes etc from other cultures if it is geuinely because you find it beautiful and want to experience that culture, you just shouldn't change that outfit. If you find the Korean Hanbok beautiful.... wear it like it is SUPPOSED to be worn and not some cheap miniskirt version of it and don't wear it to a halloween party, because it isn't a costume.
It is good to want to experience others cultures and to appreciate them and to get to know them
It's cultural appropriation when you take that something out of context and use it JUST as an aesthetic or even worse.... twist it and change it to fit what you want from it.
I hope my thoughts are clear with this.
Do you people agree or disagree?
I'm a white girl, so don't take it too srsly, but still.
For me to consider smth cultural appropriation, means there should be some traditions and rules associated with it that were violated.
If the item of clothing or the accessory used is even in the culture it is from..... Just an accessory or just a clothing item or fashion choice.... It ain't cultural appropriation
For example I don't consider wearing a durag cultural appropriation. I've searched it up on the internet and yes, it originates from black people.... But it is a fashion choice and a tool. Wearing it doesn't signify anything.
On the other hand wearing smth like the maang tikka (that my babe Arang had on in her teaser) that is meant to be worn by a bride in a wedding... IS cultural appropriation, since it is taking smth from another culture and misusing it.
I don't see anything wrong with using something form another culture, as long as it is used in the proper context and the meaning and culture behind it is respected.
Wearing another cultures traditional clothing is alright in my opinion, if it is worn the way it is supposed to be worn. If it is worn in the situation it is supposed to be worn in and if it has religious meaning behind it.... you are actually from that religion. I think it's alright to try clothes etc from other cultures if it is geuinely because you find it beautiful and want to experience that culture, you just shouldn't change that outfit. If you find the Korean Hanbok beautiful.... wear it like it is SUPPOSED to be worn and not some cheap miniskirt version of it and don't wear it to a halloween party, because it isn't a costume.
It is good to want to experience others cultures and to appreciate them and to get to know them
It's cultural appropriation when you take that something out of context and use it JUST as an aesthetic or even worse.... twist it and change it to fit what you want from it.
I hope my thoughts are clear with this.
Do you people agree or disagree?