I have nowhere to really post my K-Pop opinions, so ha. Here are some more of my possibly unpopular opinions.
1) I fucking love TWICE's Japanese discography.
TWICE's Korean singles already have beautiful visuals, but the Japanese ones look even prettier. They look special. They are always catchy. Don't tell me the MV for Wake Me Up isn't one of the cutest you've seen, or that the MV for Fake and True isn't their most visually stunning video ever. (Not to mention Fake and True is a delicious slice of campy-glam pop, like Madonna in her glory days.)
2) Tiffany Young (SNSD) gets paid dust for her vocal abilities.
I personally don't like her, but I know she's among the most popular members. People always act like Taeyeon and Jessica are the only SNSD alumni who can belt or deliver powerful vocals. Even as a casual fan, I can see that Tiffany is certainly a very strong vocalist.
3) Related to number 2: Stans frequently act like just one (or two, if you're lucky) members of a group can hit high notes. It's annoying, and of course untrue.
I like "How would [K-Pop group/artist] sing [song]" videos in concept, but in reality, they're often quite disappointing. Watch a "How would Red Velvet sing [x]" video and every high note will be given to Wendy, as if Seulgi or Joy or even Irene (Irene may not be a lead vocalist, but the woman hit the highest note in K-Pop history! Where's her respect?) aren't there.
Watch one for TWICE and every high note will be Jihyo's (or Nayeon's). Watch one for LOONA and it will be Chuu's or, the horror... Haseul's (Haseul is an amazing vocalist, don't get me wrong; but you're deluding yourself if you think she can belt). Watch one for IZ*ONE and the high notes will be Yuri's... and so forth.
It's upsetting. I don't know why people do this. Is it not more fun to enjoy more than one or two member's/s' vocal abilities? Where's the fun in acting like Solji is the sole member of EXID who can sing beautifully when you damn well can hear that Hyelin and Hani are also incredible singers? Where's the fun in ignoring TWICE Jeongyeon's consistently strong vocal work?
I also find it ridiculous that stans act as if you have to be a "powerhouse vocal" to be an amazing singer. Mina from TWICE has a beautiful voice; she cannot belt. Kim Lip and Haseul from LOONA have great technique and lovely voices; they also cannot belt. You can tell me Haseul is a better singer than Jinsoul, who is my ult, and I wouldn't mind. But to act like Haseul could belt and is more of a powerhouse vocalist than Jinsoul would just be wrong. There are belters, like Jung Jinsoul, and then there are those with softer vocal ranges. Power in one's voice doesn't mean they're automatically a superior vocalist.
Again, it's more fun to appreciate various vocal strengths than limit your appreciation to a few styles and a few select members of your fave groups.
1) I fucking love TWICE's Japanese discography.
TWICE's Korean singles already have beautiful visuals, but the Japanese ones look even prettier. They look special. They are always catchy. Don't tell me the MV for Wake Me Up isn't one of the cutest you've seen, or that the MV for Fake and True isn't their most visually stunning video ever. (Not to mention Fake and True is a delicious slice of campy-glam pop, like Madonna in her glory days.)
2) Tiffany Young (SNSD) gets paid dust for her vocal abilities.
I personally don't like her, but I know she's among the most popular members. People always act like Taeyeon and Jessica are the only SNSD alumni who can belt or deliver powerful vocals. Even as a casual fan, I can see that Tiffany is certainly a very strong vocalist.
3) Related to number 2: Stans frequently act like just one (or two, if you're lucky) members of a group can hit high notes. It's annoying, and of course untrue.
I like "How would [K-Pop group/artist] sing [song]" videos in concept, but in reality, they're often quite disappointing. Watch a "How would Red Velvet sing [x]" video and every high note will be given to Wendy, as if Seulgi or Joy or even Irene (Irene may not be a lead vocalist, but the woman hit the highest note in K-Pop history! Where's her respect?) aren't there.
Watch one for TWICE and every high note will be Jihyo's (or Nayeon's). Watch one for LOONA and it will be Chuu's or, the horror... Haseul's (Haseul is an amazing vocalist, don't get me wrong; but you're deluding yourself if you think she can belt). Watch one for IZ*ONE and the high notes will be Yuri's... and so forth.
It's upsetting. I don't know why people do this. Is it not more fun to enjoy more than one or two member's/s' vocal abilities? Where's the fun in acting like Solji is the sole member of EXID who can sing beautifully when you damn well can hear that Hyelin and Hani are also incredible singers? Where's the fun in ignoring TWICE Jeongyeon's consistently strong vocal work?
I also find it ridiculous that stans act as if you have to be a "powerhouse vocal" to be an amazing singer. Mina from TWICE has a beautiful voice; she cannot belt. Kim Lip and Haseul from LOONA have great technique and lovely voices; they also cannot belt. You can tell me Haseul is a better singer than Jinsoul, who is my ult, and I wouldn't mind. But to act like Haseul could belt and is more of a powerhouse vocalist than Jinsoul would just be wrong. There are belters, like Jung Jinsoul, and then there are those with softer vocal ranges. Power in one's voice doesn't mean they're automatically a superior vocalist.
Again, it's more fun to appreciate various vocal strengths than limit your appreciation to a few styles and a few select members of your fave groups.