Appreciation Red Velvet - Love Is The Way appreciation thread/song discussion (1 Viewer)

Joined
23 July 2019
Messages
106
Reactions Received
462
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I didn't think much of this song when I'd first heard it a few times, but suddenly, when it came on Autoplay in school, I found myself addicted. Maybe this is one of those songs that sounds richer with headphones. When I played it again today, it wasn't as addictive, but the Yeri-Irene-Joy parts from 1:41 were still really, really good.



What do you think? I don't like comparing songs to a movie from the past or something, but this is def meant to echo '50-'60s doo wop. Will try to listen again with headphones, LOL. (It's still a good song without headphones, but it feels divine with them on, I guess.)
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,585
Reactions Received
93,412
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
186,783
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I didn't think much of this song when I'd first heard it a few times, but suddenly, when it came on Autoplay in school, I found myself addicted. Maybe this is one of those songs that sounds richer with headphones. When I played it again today, it wasn't as addictive, but the Yeri-Irene-Joy parts from 1:41 were still really, really good.



What do you think? I don't like comparing songs to a movie from the past or something, but this is def meant to echo '50-'60s doo wop. Will try to listen again with headphones, LOL. (It's still a good song without headphones, but it feels divine with them on, I guess.)
yea this was doo wop as a style choice . I loved that from the beginning RV is so good at harmony they kill that stuff. Kinda like how Lucky girl is burlesque ish, or fool is county.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
it‘s one amazing rv song
 

dnb

Supporting Table Unnie
.
Joined
28 May 2019
Messages
8,716
Reactions Received
8,198
Location
USA
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
22,135
Fandom
Reveluv, Sone
What do you think? I don't like comparing songs to a movie from the past or something, but this is def meant to echo '50-'60s doo wop.
I think Love Is the Way is a very good homage to doo wop. The song borrows so many riffs/hooks from that era, such as the "wo oh oh wo oh oh" background vocals. The song would be heaven for someone who's into doo wop.

Unfortunately for me, I'm not too much into that genre of music. I don't mind it playing but I don't seek it out.

One style we haven't heard from Red Velvet, but one that I think they'll absolutely kill, is girl group barbershop songs. Here's a well-known example. (Sorry, Chordettes, but I prefer this version.)

 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,585
Reactions Received
93,412
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
186,783
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I think Love Is the Way is a very good homage to doo wop. The song borrows so many riffs/hooks from that era, such as the "wo oh oh wo oh oh" background vocals. The song would be heaven for someone who's into doo wop.

Unfortunately for me, I'm not too much into that genre of music. I don't mind it playing but I don't seek it out.

One style we haven't heard from Red Velvet, but one that I think they'll absolutely kill, is girl group barbershop songs. Here's a well-known example. (Sorry, Chordettes, but I prefer this version.)

Hard to go wrong with that .. That entire album is amazing.

 

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
.
Joined
22 May 2019
Messages
5,913
Reactions Received
28,273
Location
Under the Earth
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Moa
Ship
What do you think? I don't like comparing songs to a movie from the past or something, but this is def meant to echo '50-'60s doo wop. Will try to listen again with headphones, LOL. (It's still a good song without headphones, but it feels divine with them on, I guess.)
I think Love Is the Way is a very good homage to doo wop.
yea this was doo wop as a style choice . I loved that from the beginning RV is so good at harmony they kill that stuff. Kinda like how Lucky girl is burlesque ish, or fool is county.
No wonder I thought the song sounded so familar. I always knew it was sampled but I kept wracking my brain to find out where it was from.

It's definitely one of my favourite b-sides. I love it when RV go retro. Their voices fit the theme really well.
 

dnb

Supporting Table Unnie
.
Joined
28 May 2019
Messages
8,716
Reactions Received
8,198
Location
USA
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
22,135
Fandom
Reveluv, Sone
No wonder I thought the song sounded so familar. I always knew it was sampled but I kept wracking my brain to find out where it was from.

Doo Wop examples? Here's a classic (though some people might be more familiar with the Manhattan Transfer version):




Here's another example, abeit more modern:

 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and potato

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread