- Joined
- 18 November 2018
- Messages
- 13,505
- Reactions Received
- 41,701
- Location
- Estonia
- Cards
- View Profile
- KS Coins
- 514
- Gender
- Non-Binary
- Pronouns
- He/They
- Ship
- Wreck
Sooo I'm here to come out of posting hiatus and to post my review of the Seventeen Face the sun album!
For those of you who don't know me, I am a HUGE Seventeen fan and I ult bias Woozi
Darl+ing 6/10
Well actually it's more of a 7..... But the lyrics... oh god the lyrics??????? WHO ALLOWED THIS!!! The lyrics not only are generic AF, but on top of that make absolutely no sense. Grammar who??? It's like they just threw english words at the wall???? Why didn't they involve Vernon or Josh in the lyric writing like??????? WHAT, WHY????? Otherwise the song is pleasant to listen to and good as a background, but other than the bridge there is nothing special to it. The bridge though is VERY good (as Seventeen tends to have them) The8's voice suits it PERFECTLY!!! I understand what they wanted to do with the sudden electric guitar moment, but imo it doesn't work. It's too brief and only like shocks your attention back for a moment only to be let go again.
HOT 8.6/10
Really good pre-chorus, albeit with a SLIGHT bit too heavy autotune for my tastes. The song overall isn't my taste, but I really appreciate it for what it is. (I think this will appeal to a LOT of kpop fans though) The melody is really catchy, the chorus is really memorable, the instrumental is VERY well put together, it's layered and overall just nice. I don't have much more to say on this song, because like I said, it's simply not to my tastes. But for what it aims to do it does REALLY REALLY well. It's easy to get boring with repetitive choruses, but they managed to avoid that expertly
EDIT: after a few more listens, this is getting elevated to 9.2 .......
EDIT 2: after the performance.... 9.9
DON QUIXOTE 9/10
Best track of the album so far (but not the best overall). The rap melody COULD be more interesting and engaging, but it has an even better of a pre-chorus than Hot had. The songs build is really interesting, at times it's hard to tell whether a part is a pre-chorus or whether the chorus is 3 parted. The melody and part that the song starts on (which gets repeated multiple times throughout the song, I first assumed it's a pre-chorus, but then it later on gets used almost like a chorus???) is REALLY good, absolutely love it, really grabs your attention right away. The "say my name" part I dislike, it's the worst part of the song, however the "my hands up, I keep them high" part after it absolutely slays. I'd almost say the song almost sounds like it was mashed together from multiple songs, but the songs all had a similar vibe and sound to them? Absolutely love this song.
March 6/10
Love the really dirty sound the song has HOWEVER.... I got bored quickly. I love rock and I this just felt so basic and boring? There was nothing surprising to the song and I literally just got bored listening to this song to give it a review... That's it, song is boring.
Domino 6.8/10
This song was hard to rate. It has one part that I LOVE, one part that I dislike, a part that I find boring and a part that I like.... I LOVE the pre-chorus, Seventeen as USUAL absolutely killing it with those. The chorus I MOSTLY like a lot, BUT the melody the "like a domino" phrase has puts me off majorly. I'm just vibing to the chorus and then it comes in and the whole chorus is ruined for me... To sum up, I love the pre-chorus, like the chorus EXCEPT for one phrase in it and find the rest of the song boring. if it wasn't for the "like a domino" melody phrase this song would be rated at around a 7.8 or more...
Shadow 9/10
This is exactly the type of a song I would have on repeat. The song feels engaging and It always feels like it's going somewhere. At no point does it feel stagnant. Honestly I have no real complaints for this song! Absolutely loved all the parts of the song and it has no elements to it that I dislike. BUT.... It also has no parts to it that stand out largely to me. I like the song overall, but it has no single part to get stuck in my head or that would be easy to refer back to.
'bout you 5/10
I don't care for this song. It reminds me of multiple songs Seventeen has done and at the same time also falls short of all those songs. It's not a bad song at all, but Seventeen already has multiple songs I would listen to over this that have a similar vibe and sound. A boring song overall
IF you leave me 8/10
Best Ballad Seventeen has had in a long time. It has a lot of classic "Woozi ballad" elements that I absolutely adore, for example the way breathing is done on the track. Ends of phrases always sound like the member singing is sighing. The emotions come across really well. I really also like how the members are almost interrupting eachother to sing their phrases. The piano is absolutely STUNNING and I love the repeating element it has. It's been a long time since we got a whole group ballad and I'm really happy for it!
Ash 9.7/10
VERNON!!!!! THIS IS HIS TRACK! I love this kind of a vibe in a song, an almost threatening and creepy vibe. Excellently executed, the autotune feels very natural in it. But I have to repeat again.... VERNON HOLY FUCK!!!!!! His part is godlike, unforgettable and legendary. I don't think I'll ever be over it!!! It's what makes this song an absolute perfect 10 for me. The song feels hypnotizing, it's engaging as FUCK to listen to AND it has a MAJOR highlight to it! LOVE THIS SONG, NO COMPLAINTS WHATSOEVER ONLY PRAISE!!!!! (The chorus though COULD be a SLIGHT bit better...... But I like the chorus, but I could imagine some slight changes to it)
ALBUM OVERALL 7/10
The album overall gets an 8 out of 10. It feels very cohesive EXCEPT for the ballad. Having a ballad as the 2nd to last track is almost traditional, but it does make it so that i wouldn't listen to the entire album on loop. However I like the ballad, so I can't take of THAT many points for it. Overall it has a few too many tracks I do not care for much to get a higher rating.
@Carat
For those of you who don't know me, I am a HUGE Seventeen fan and I ult bias Woozi
To make it a bit more understandable to people what I mean with ratings...
4 and below - DISLIKE aka I would skip if it came on in a playlist. Would never listen to.
5 - a song i might skip in a playlist depending on the day
6 to 7 - songs I wouldn't search out to listen to on their own, but if they come on during a playlist, I won't skip.
8 to 9 - Songs I really like, but could see being even better
10 - I adore
4 and below - DISLIKE aka I would skip if it came on in a playlist. Would never listen to.
5 - a song i might skip in a playlist depending on the day
6 to 7 - songs I wouldn't search out to listen to on their own, but if they come on during a playlist, I won't skip.
8 to 9 - Songs I really like, but could see being even better
10 - I adore
Darl+ing 6/10
Well actually it's more of a 7..... But the lyrics... oh god the lyrics??????? WHO ALLOWED THIS!!! The lyrics not only are generic AF, but on top of that make absolutely no sense. Grammar who??? It's like they just threw english words at the wall???? Why didn't they involve Vernon or Josh in the lyric writing like??????? WHAT, WHY????? Otherwise the song is pleasant to listen to and good as a background, but other than the bridge there is nothing special to it. The bridge though is VERY good (as Seventeen tends to have them) The8's voice suits it PERFECTLY!!! I understand what they wanted to do with the sudden electric guitar moment, but imo it doesn't work. It's too brief and only like shocks your attention back for a moment only to be let go again.
HOT 8.6/10
Really good pre-chorus, albeit with a SLIGHT bit too heavy autotune for my tastes. The song overall isn't my taste, but I really appreciate it for what it is. (I think this will appeal to a LOT of kpop fans though) The melody is really catchy, the chorus is really memorable, the instrumental is VERY well put together, it's layered and overall just nice. I don't have much more to say on this song, because like I said, it's simply not to my tastes. But for what it aims to do it does REALLY REALLY well. It's easy to get boring with repetitive choruses, but they managed to avoid that expertly
EDIT: after a few more listens, this is getting elevated to 9.2 .......
EDIT 2: after the performance.... 9.9
DON QUIXOTE 9/10
Best track of the album so far (but not the best overall). The rap melody COULD be more interesting and engaging, but it has an even better of a pre-chorus than Hot had. The songs build is really interesting, at times it's hard to tell whether a part is a pre-chorus or whether the chorus is 3 parted. The melody and part that the song starts on (which gets repeated multiple times throughout the song, I first assumed it's a pre-chorus, but then it later on gets used almost like a chorus???) is REALLY good, absolutely love it, really grabs your attention right away. The "say my name" part I dislike, it's the worst part of the song, however the "my hands up, I keep them high" part after it absolutely slays. I'd almost say the song almost sounds like it was mashed together from multiple songs, but the songs all had a similar vibe and sound to them? Absolutely love this song.
March 6/10
Love the really dirty sound the song has HOWEVER.... I got bored quickly. I love rock and I this just felt so basic and boring? There was nothing surprising to the song and I literally just got bored listening to this song to give it a review... That's it, song is boring.
Domino 6.8/10
This song was hard to rate. It has one part that I LOVE, one part that I dislike, a part that I find boring and a part that I like.... I LOVE the pre-chorus, Seventeen as USUAL absolutely killing it with those. The chorus I MOSTLY like a lot, BUT the melody the "like a domino" phrase has puts me off majorly. I'm just vibing to the chorus and then it comes in and the whole chorus is ruined for me... To sum up, I love the pre-chorus, like the chorus EXCEPT for one phrase in it and find the rest of the song boring. if it wasn't for the "like a domino" melody phrase this song would be rated at around a 7.8 or more...
Shadow 9/10
This is exactly the type of a song I would have on repeat. The song feels engaging and It always feels like it's going somewhere. At no point does it feel stagnant. Honestly I have no real complaints for this song! Absolutely loved all the parts of the song and it has no elements to it that I dislike. BUT.... It also has no parts to it that stand out largely to me. I like the song overall, but it has no single part to get stuck in my head or that would be easy to refer back to.
'bout you 5/10
I don't care for this song. It reminds me of multiple songs Seventeen has done and at the same time also falls short of all those songs. It's not a bad song at all, but Seventeen already has multiple songs I would listen to over this that have a similar vibe and sound. A boring song overall
IF you leave me 8/10
Best Ballad Seventeen has had in a long time. It has a lot of classic "Woozi ballad" elements that I absolutely adore, for example the way breathing is done on the track. Ends of phrases always sound like the member singing is sighing. The emotions come across really well. I really also like how the members are almost interrupting eachother to sing their phrases. The piano is absolutely STUNNING and I love the repeating element it has. It's been a long time since we got a whole group ballad and I'm really happy for it!
Ash 9.7/10
VERNON!!!!! THIS IS HIS TRACK! I love this kind of a vibe in a song, an almost threatening and creepy vibe. Excellently executed, the autotune feels very natural in it. But I have to repeat again.... VERNON HOLY FUCK!!!!!! His part is godlike, unforgettable and legendary. I don't think I'll ever be over it!!! It's what makes this song an absolute perfect 10 for me. The song feels hypnotizing, it's engaging as FUCK to listen to AND it has a MAJOR highlight to it! LOVE THIS SONG, NO COMPLAINTS WHATSOEVER ONLY PRAISE!!!!! (The chorus though COULD be a SLIGHT bit better...... But I like the chorus, but I could imagine some slight changes to it)
ALBUM OVERALL 7/10
The album overall gets an 8 out of 10. It feels very cohesive EXCEPT for the ballad. Having a ballad as the 2nd to last track is almost traditional, but it does make it so that i wouldn't listen to the entire album on loop. However I like the ballad, so I can't take of THAT many points for it. Overall it has a few too many tracks I do not care for much to get a higher rating.
@Carat
Last edited: